The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dandaman1
"A student has been jailed for slapping a sleeping woman in the face with his penis while his friend filmed the indecent act on his phone."

"John Luke Dale, a 21-year-old criminology undergraduate who dreamt of being a solicitor, was sentenced to nine months imprisonment after admitting sexual assault."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/22/student-jailed-slapping-sleeping-woman-face-penis_n_6032974.html

I'm not at all condoning his actions, but does this reaction seem a little harsh to you? Street thugs and arsonists get less time. Some aren't even jailed. It was unpleasant, for sure, but being locked away for nine months and having your life ruined over a crude prank? It seems like overkill. The video wasn't even published (which may have been cause for harsher legal action, although it would also be a separate crime).

"So what are you guys in for?"
"I stabbed an old lady."
"I held up a convenience store and stole a car"
"I got drunk one night and slapped somebody with my penis...."

This stuff happens in fraternities and sleepovers on a daily basis. But I guess she can sleep well at night knowing this dangerous psychopath is behind bars, and that his life will never be the same again.

I think this is pretty disgusting, but then I remember all the news stories I have read recently about people glassing people in the face or beating someone unconscious and NOT getting a jail sentence, and I think, something is not right here.

I think most people would rather be hit in the face with a flaccid penis than a broken glass bottle.

So 9 months actually seems very harsh.
Reply 21
"I got drunk one night and slapped somebody with my penis...."

Gonna be an epic story to tell the grand-kids one day :rofl:
Reply 22
Original post by green.tea
So you're suggesting that because it involves a penis it must be inherently sexual?

Absolutely.

If that were the case doctors would all be guilty of assaulting their patients

That's just silly. You should know that the essential and absolute difference is consent.
Original post by SophiaLDN
How would you feel if someone slapped you in the face with their penis? You're so concerned about his life, what about the woman who was assaulted?

If he is so worried about his future career, he should have thought about it before he did that. Disgusting. That isn't a 'prank'. People need to stop throwing that word around like its a 'get out of trouble-card' that makes up for assaulting someone. Would he even serve the entire 9 months in jail? Whatever, I think it's appropriate. Should give him enough time to think about life and penis-related things.

I would think they were being a bit of an arse but I sure as hell wouldn't involve the police, let alone want them to go to prison. He shouldn't have done it but 9 months is just stupid.
Most of you keep saying it was a prank and jail is OTT but you forget that it's not funny. Leaving aside the definition of sexual assault- would you appreciate a video of some pratt and his littld member slapping you in the face while asleep? Because I wouldn't nor would many normal people find it funny...

Most other people would embarrass him and give him a bloody nose to boot if they saw that!

Original post by yo radical one
It was sexual assault, he got what he deserved :dontknow:

Interesting path to his desired career (Criminology BSc > Solicitor) I must say

He'd do a GDL/CPE after his degree.
Original post by Gax
Gonna be an epic story to tell the grand-kids one day :rofl:

Grandkids. How will he have kids? He doesn't even know the right place to put it!
And yet if it was a woman the judge would be like "oyy oyy l4d, get sum pussi 4 mi n all"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TolerantBeing
"But I guess she can sleep well at night knowing this dangerous psychopath is behind bars, and that his life will never be the same again."

That sounds like blame to me, his poor life will never be the same again, poor bloke.

I'm pretty shocked that firstly you guys thinking slapping an individual around the face with your dicks is acceptable because it's lad behaviour. And secondly I'm shocked that you think that sort of behaviour should go unpunished.

You all need to grow up, and learn that actions have consequences.

1) How is that laying blame on her?

2) I did actually retract the statement, because I can't comment on other people's behalves. I put it down initially because so far in this discussion I've seen no evidence of the girl being blamed.

3) Why am I being lumped in with other posters on this thread? I don't espouse the view that he should have gone unpunished - I've made my position pretty clear.
Original post by cole-slaw
I remember all the news stories I have read recently about people glassing people in the face or beating someone unconscious and NOT getting a jail sentence, and I think, something is not right here.

Street thugs and arsonists get less time. Some aren't even jailed.

I would agree that the crimes you are mentioning should have more appropriate punishments

The case discussed here could be used as a benchmark
Question- was anyone else dumb enough to think this guy hit a hemaphrodite? I thought the title meant the victim was a "woman with a penis" XD
Original post by TenOfThem
I would agree that the crimes you are mentioning should have more appropriate punishments

The case discussed here could be used as a benchmark

This has ruined his future career as it is. Jail should be reserved for genuinely violent criminals who are a threat to society - like people who smash glass in people's face because they looked at them funny. We're supposed to be moving beyond the mediaeval "justice as revenge" archetype.

This idiot is a dick, but he is not dangerous. A hefty fine and community service would have been more appropriate.
Reply 31
Original post by Lord Jon

Very unlikely to get SRA student membership now.
I think the problem is the media hasn't focused on what was the real issue:

-the woman didn't know she had been slapped with a penis. It wasn't a group joke that she was aware off
-she first found out when the police interviewed her after the guys friend who videoed the incident was showing his friends at work and one of his work friends reported it to the police- how bad would a video have to be for someone to break 'bro code' and call the police is a key question to ask yourself
- the woman in questions statement said that for her the most horrifying thing is not knowing who has a copy of the video and if it is still being distributed.
Reply 33
I don't really know what the issue is here. He's been an idiot, he got sent down and he'll be out before Christmas. Move on.
Original post by cole-slaw

This idiot is a dick, but he is not dangerous. A hefty fine and community service would have been more appropriate.

You have a right to your opinion - I understand your view

I find the idea the "this will ruin his life" argument annoying (I know this was not your comment) - perhaps we should have more visible cases where people are made to realise that actions have consequences so that others get the message - Looking at this thread alone I see this as being necessary - everyone on here who says it was just a prank/he was just an idiot is condoning his actions
Original post by Mimsycrafts
the guys friend who videoed the incident was showing his friends at work and one of his work friends reported it to the police

The article does not say what the video takers punishment was - does anyone know
Reply 36
Disrespectful to say the least but that's not even close to a jail sentence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TenOfThem
The article does not say what the video takers punishment was - does anyone know

He received a caution
Original post by Lord Jon

Most other people would embarrass him and give him a bloody nose to boot if they saw that!

I'm aware there are post-grad courses afterwards as well as the possibility to do a conversion course to law, but after hearing about his conviction, you just know he is some dumb "LAD" who is in love with the idea of the status and telling people he is a solicitor, rather than actually wanting to work.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mimsycrafts
He received a caution

I am disappointed by that - he should have been prosecuted - not sure what the charge would be

Latest

Trending

Trending