The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Even if you fall to pieces they may give you the benefit of the doubt. I had four people with only one person talking, and the other three just sat there like dummies. That kinda peeved me out and I shambled through the interview, yet they seem to have had mercy on me x)
Has anyone heard yet how many applicants Exeter have had this year?
Reply 282
Original post by Dr Gin
Has anyone heard yet how many applicants Exeter have had this year?

Called admissions today and they said they have received approx 1500 applications, which is down on last year.
Original post by Simi96
Called admissions today and they said they have received approx 1500 applications, which is down on last year.

That's awesome! Probs just under 7:1 applicants:redface:ffer :O and if they keep interview numbers the same then we should all have a good shot of getting interviewed :smile:

Cannot believe Lancaster has more applicants despite less than 40% of the places xD
Reply 284
Anybody know when they start sending Interview offers??
Original post by SimSembi
Anybody know when they start sending Interview offers??

Usually late Mid-late November :smile: UKCAT scores are being sent to unis all this week, then it'll probs take another weekish to collate scores and set an internal cutoff. Interviews start usually pretty early on in December so for sure it won't be more than 2-3 weeks till invites start coming
Reply 286
Original post by Dr. Django
Usually late Mid-late November :smile: UKCAT scores are being sent to unis all this week, then it'll probs take another weekish to collate scores and set an internal cutoff. Interviews start usually pretty early on in December so for sure it won't be more than 2-3 weeks till invites start coming

Cheers, I keep looking at my emails hoping to get one soon haha. At least I can relax
Reply 287
Original post by Marathi
Sorry if this has already been asked but what is the interview format? Is it MMI or a formal one on one/group interview?

Any other graduate applicants or current grad students? :P

Hi Marathi - I'm a grad applicant, and I've seen one or two others on here over the past few weeks too.

Saw someone speculating on another thread that GAMSAT results may be the 14th this year. Not going to get my hopes up though - reckon some time in the third week of Nov is most likely...
Reply 288
I cant find where it says how many places Exeter medical school has on the webiste
Original post by Hudl
I cant find where it says how many places Exeter medical school has on the webiste

Not sure but TSR Competition Ratios give an idea...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medical_school_competition_ratios
Reply 290
Original post by Dr Gin
Not sure but TSR Competition Ratios give an idea...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medical_school_competition_ratios

Thanks, this is good news :biggrin:

(I think)
Original post by Hudl
Thanks, this is good news :biggrin:

(I think)

fewer applicants is always good news! Particularly if you're worried about your ukcat score not cutting it
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Simi96

Thanks!
Reply 293
Original post by Hudl

130 (with 10 places available to international students)
Does anyone have a view on how Exeter treat applications for Medicine and Medical Science on the same UCAS form. Are they more likely to turn you down for Medicine if they can see that you would be just as happy to do Medical Science there....!!!!
Original post by Medic1996
Does anyone have a view on how Exeter treat applications for Medicine and Medical Science on the same UCAS form. Are they more likely to turn you down for Medicine if they can see that you would be just as happy to do Medical Science there....!!!!

No they don't care at all!! They specifically said on the open day that they do not care at all whatever else you've applied for! I'm probably gonna apply for history as my 5th choice, and that won't be a problem at all.

Besides, they can't see where else you've applied, the only way they could is if internally within the uni information is shared between departments.

Anyway; short answer: you have nothing to worry about, medical schools know that people need to have back up plans as getting into med school is Dayum tough
Original post by Dr. Django
No they don't care at all!! They specifically said on the open day that they do not care at all whatever else you've applied for! I'm probably gonna apply for history as my 5th choice, and that won't be a problem at all.

Besides, they can't see where else you've applied, the only way they could is if internally within the uni information is shared between departments.

Anyway; short answer: you have nothing to worry about, medical schools know that people need to have back up plans as getting into med school is Dayum tough

Thanks, i never made it to the open day. Any idea if they have set a cut off for the UKCAT. Apparently SGUL have (according to their discussion forum) and just wondering if any of the other med schools have.
Thanks, i never made it to the open day. Any idea if they have set a cut off for the UKCAT. Apparently SGUL have (according to their discussion forum) and just wondering if any of the other med schools have.

As far as I'm aware Exeter haven't yet published one. I'm not sure they did last year until after interview invites, so we might need to judge it purely based on who gets interviews

I agree with Django. They know that you can't put a 5th medical choice and therefore view a non-medical option as normal. Yours will be seen by Exeter because it is also at Exeter however you have nothing to worry about: your option is medically relevant (perhaps suggesting that you would remain determined to get into medicine by an alternative route) and you show a deep commitment to Exeter so they know that you are 100% keen on the University/location. It will have no negative effect on your application...
Original post by Dr Gin
I agree with Django. They know that you can't put a 5th medical choice and therefore view a non-medical option as normal. Yours will be seen by Exeter because it is also at Exeter however you have nothing to worry about: your option is medically relevant (perhaps suggesting that you would remain determined to get into medicine by an alternative route) and you show a deep commitment to Exeter so they know that you are 100% keen on the University/location. It will have no negative effect on your application...

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending