The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Anyone interested in applying to Exeter medical school, subscribe!

Confirmed place for medicine at Exeter - 2014 entry

A similar thread was posted for 2014 applicants and was very useful to me so I'll be happy to answer any questions about application or interviews!! :smile:

Here's the medicine connect/stalking Page, and the Exeter University page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bej22

A similar thread was posted for 2014 applicants and was very useful to me so I'll be happy to answer any questions about application or interviews!! :smile:

Hey, I just replied to you on another thread and wishes you luck for your application...luck which you do not need from the sounds of it xD congrats on your place!

I am almost certainly applying to Exeter (UKCAT dependent of course) as they apparently accept resitters with no disadvantage (and it's a great med school!)

How did they score applicants last year?

If I get an interview I shall barrage you with questions then :wink: enjoy freshers
Reply 2
Original post by Dr. Django
Hey, I just replied to you on another thread and wishes you luck for your application...luck which you do not need from the sounds of it xD congrats on your place!

I am almost certainly applying to Exeter (UKCAT dependent of course) as they apparently accept resitters with no disadvantage (and it's a great med school!)

How did they score applicants last year?

If I get an interview I shall barrage you with questions then :wink: enjoy freshers

Thank you, it was a shock as I only got my offer in July!

A good proportion of the applicants at my interview day were resitters (including a girl who had gotten D in biology) so you should be fine with regards to that :smile:

From what I can remember they rely mostly on Ukcat score and AS/A level grades to decide on who to interview with a lot less emphasis on your personal statement. They want to know you'll be able to cope with the course academically and then at your interview they give you the opportunity to talk about what work experience has taught you and all that jazz.

I don't know what the ukcat cut off was for 2014 applicants but it's usually in the 2600 region.

I can't wait til freshers, medsoc at exeter looks great!
Original post by bej22
Thank you, it was a shock as I only got my offer in July!

A good proportion of the applicants at my interview day were resitters (including a girl who had gotten D in biology) so you should be fine with regards to that :smile:

From what I can remember they rely mostly on Ukcat score and AS/A level grades to decide on who to interview with a lot less emphasis on your personal statement. They want to know you'll be able to cope with the course academically and then at your interview they give you the opportunity to talk about what work experience has taught you and all that jazz.

I don't know what the ukcat cut off was for 2014 applicants but it's usually in the 2600 region.

I can't wait til freshers, medsoc at exeter looks great!

That must have been such a relief getting it so late, gap year plans scrapped and all that!!

Good to know, from what I've read they do seem to be very welcoming to resitters so they will be in my 4 choices as long as ukcat goes alright!!

That sounds good, my AS's were all A's and my GCSE's 9A*2A so my academics (up to this year :tongue:) should be ok!! I just need to recreate a similar ukcat to last year and then *fingers crossed* they'll interview me!!

Im visiting in 2 weeks so I guess I'll learn more then!

You'll love it! enjoy it and have the time of your life :smile:
Really want to apply here. Just hoping a UKCAT of 702.5 will cut it!!
Reply 5
Think 702.5 was last years cut off. UKCAT scores jumped a lot last year so hard to tell what will happen this year. Think also needed at least A* AA prediction although I know few exceptions. Call up admissions as they are quite helpful but they won't be able to tell cut off because they won't know until all applications have been processed.
Original post by bej22

What are your stats?

I've heard Exeter is full of snobby posh pricks that make the cast of Made In Chelsea look like chavs on income support. Any truth to this?
Anyone hitting up Exeter next weekend?
Original post by Dr. Django
Anyone hitting up Exeter next weekend?

I can't go but let us know how it is! (Working).

I'm hoping for a slightly lower UKCAT cut off as the general consensus (at least on tsr) is that scores are lower this year. Though I have yet to sit it..
Original post by arthouse
Think 702.5 was last years cut off. UKCAT scores jumped a lot last year so hard to tell what will happen this year. Think also needed at least A* AA prediction although I know few exceptions. Call up admissions as they are quite helpful but they won't be able to tell cut off because they won't know until all applications have been processed.

The cut off last year was 2790 - I emailed them and found out :smile:
Reply 10
First page :biggrin:. I'd imagine that most people applying here are also applying to Plymouth? :tongue:
Reply 11
I'm so stressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exeter was gonna be my firm choice, but now I'm being told I need A*AA even though I have ABBC at AS and is that impossible?

Also i didn't know they had UKCAT cutoffs, I got 700! Is that going to be enough?
Reply 12
Original post by erudite
I'm so stressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exeter was gonna be my firm choice, but now I'm being told I need A*AA even though I have ABBC at AS and is that impossible?

Also i didn't know they had UKCAT cutoffs, I got 700! Is that going to be enough?

The UKCAT cutoff last year was 697.5 so you most likely will be eligible, especially since the UKCAT seems to be more difficult this year so the average score may drop. I think that most applicants last year needed A*AA predicted (or achieved) grades in order to be considered. Your ASs will not be an issue, just make sure that you are predicted at least A*AA.

Drop the "c" subject (unless it's chemistry/biology) and work very hard this year. It is definitely possible to achieve A* in a subject with only a B at AS (I'm living proof :biggrin:) so don't worry too much :tongue:
Reply 13
Totally agree with Mehhh and last year although you needed A*AA predictions (or achieved) they made a mixture of AAA and A*AA offers. Never worked out what they based it on. Thought it was to stop people using them as insurance.
Reply 14
Totally agree with Mehhh and last year although you needed A*AA predictions (or achieved) they made a mixture of AAA and A*AA offers. Never worked out what they based it on. Thought it was to stop people using them as insurance.

I believe that all internationals were given a*aa offers and all home applicants aaa.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Home applicants had mixture of A*AA and AAA offers.
Reply 16
considering applying with achieved A*AA , but my ukcat is pretty low compared to the cutoffs (662.5). I've heard the ukcat was harder this year , should I risk the application???
Home applicants had mixture of A*AA and AAA offers.

Perhaps resitters were given offers of A*AA and non-resitters AAA? I think someone on another thread told me this...
Reply 18
How much emphasis do exeter put on As grades? I have 10 A* gcse, 710 ukcat , A*A*AA prediction but AAABC at as. The C is in chem, but I know I can get an A and am predicted an A, will this go against me? Thanks for any advice 😊
Reply 19
Original post by Ashkun
considering applying with achieved A*AA , but my ukcat is pretty low compared to the cutoffs (662.5). I've heard the ukcat was harder this year , should I risk the application???

You will be worthy of an application- especially as you have very good achieved A2s as Exeter look at both academics and UKCAT when deciding who to interview. High academics can compensate for an average UKCAT and your UKCAT isn't awful!

Quick Reply

Latest