The Student Room Group

Do you consider somali people black?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Secretnerd123
Some pics of a somali women insta page
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1415382060.083573.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1415382070.363507.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1415382099.904314.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1415382113.241478.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1415382121.637765.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1415382129.233961.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1415382137.009902.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love how you instantly uploaded pictures of ONLY 'beautiful Somali women' because Somali people generally look like that? Why not mix it up a bit and upload a picture of Somali people that actually live in Somalia?

Edit: Interesting how this valid point was ignored.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Wait, what? :eyebrow:

How are we hybrid but socially black?

If you believe that Africans are all of one colour you are very narrow minded if you believe that to be true.
we all take different juxtapostion when it comes to the differentation of skin tone some Africans are cafe-au-lait others are dark-brown and so forth.

But media tend to just quarantine Black into a box
And we as a society accept this statement and just go with the flow:smile:.
Original post by King.mulamula
What would you consider someone of olive skin tone

some may segregate the colour into the white section

Others may alter that and say olive is brown.
it all depends on the individual not the colour itself everyone characterises colour in their own definition.
If that makes sense.

Ohh that def makes sense :smile:
Ohh that def makes sense :smile:

No problem glad I could help:smile:
No problem glad I could help:smile:

Where are u from originally?
Interesting thread. We wouldn't call Asians 'yellow', or Arabs 'orange' or whatever, or some Europeans as 'pink', so why do we call some people white or black? :confused:
Not all somalis look like him

Exactly, which is why your question sorta fails. You can't generalise all of them into one group. It's safe to say they all have a dark skin tone, ranging from light brown to black.
Original post by SomeStudent
Exactly, which is why your question sorta fails. You can't generalise all of them into one group. It's safe to say they all have a dark skin tone, ranging from light brown to black.

But say two siblings have different skin tones, one being light and the other very dark, would that automatically make them two different races? :/

Where are u from originally?

I'm from Morocco so I get stigmatised with being Brown alot when in actual fact I have a dark olive skin tone it is all about on what side of the spectrum you look at it
really I would consider myself olive but western society would label me "Brown"

Which I have come to accept because that is the society we live in.:smile:
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Interesting thread. We wouldn't call Asians 'yellow', or Arabs 'orange' or whatever, or some Europeans as 'pink', so why do we call some people white or black? :confused:

Lool idk
Reply 70
Dark skinned. I prefer not to call caucasian people "white" etc...

What do you prefer being called, btw? Just when giving a general description.
I'm from Morocco so I get stigmatised with being Brown alot when in actual fact I have a dark olive skin tone it is all about on what side of the spectrum you look at it
really I would consider myself olive but western society would label me "Brown"

Which I have come to accept because that is the society we live in.:smile:

Oh right :smile:
Like say theres a person with the same skin tone as megan good, one could say shes light skin but another could say shes dark skin? It all depends on how that person sees colour?

Btw do moroccans from fez and other areas where the moroccans are predominantly dark consider themselves black ?
But say two siblings have different skin tones, one being light and the other very dark, would that automatically make them two different races? :/

You wouldn't call them both black/light brown, that's for sure. Same ethnic group, different colour.
Original post by SP0TIFY

I think im brown or caramel skinned.
Original post by SP0TIFY

Personally call myself black, but when I'm with some people at school (etc) people will give me looks if I attempt to classify as black...which is stupid. I don't really mind tbh..didn't really think about it until this thread :moon:
Oh right :smile:
Like say theres a person with the same skin tone as megan good, one could say shes light skin but another could say shes dark skin? It all depends on how that person sees colour?

Btw do moroccans from fez and other areas where the moroccans are predominantly dark consider themselves black ?

Yes exactly like in morocco someone like Megan Good would be considered brown but in England Megan Good would be considered black because the majority of Brits are pale skinned.

The majority of dark skinned moroccans would not be considered black but brown but there are a few moroccans that we do consider black due to facial features:yes:.
Reply 76
I think im brown or caramel skinned.

fair enough. Whenever I describe someones colour I obviously do it just so the person knows who I'm talking about, as it narrows people down by quite a bit :P
Yes exactly like in morocco someone like Megan Good would be considered brown but in England Megan Good would be considered black because the majority of Brits are pale skinned.

The majority of dark skinned moroccans would not be considered black but brown but there are a few moroccans that we do consider black due to facial features:yes:.

Ohh I see :smile:
Are moroccans racist towards somalis btw? I know some arab countries are racist and some like yemen aren't..
like in terms of marriage
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Wait, what? :eyebrow:

How are we hybrid but socially black?

Genetically we are a hybrid of races, even though we are one of the most homogeneous people in Africa.
However black is a social construct, and hence we are seen as black to most people in society.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohh I see :smile:
Are moroccans racist towards somalis btw? I know some arab countries are racist and some like yemen aren't..
like in terms of marriage

Well Moroccans tend to treat each other like kings and queens and are very extroverted but speaking generally Moroccans are very friendly you might find some that will try to swindle you if your a foreigner but the majority of Moroccans are nice.:smile:But I might be biased:tongue:
But it all depends some moroccans are racist and some aren't I can't generalise the whole of morocco but from my experience I would have to say no moroccans are not racist we are after all African also so it runs in our blood.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest