The Student Room Group

What do you think is a good salary and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
I keep track of everything I spend and I don't understand how people find it stressful or whatever. It's actually a very good life skill to have. The ability to budget and finance things are critical, and will become even more important as things get more expensive.

Its similar to job hunting and personal branding, why on earth would you not want to learn how to market yourself better, in the tough economic climate we're in. Makes no sense to me tbh.

Because people are lazy and think they are perfect. :tongue: They also generally dislike compromise or having to live within their means.
£150k has always been my realistic goal
love how this has just spread so fast :smile: id like to hear your reasons why too...
Reply 163
Original post by scrawlx101
love how this has just spread so fast :smile: id like to hear your reasons why too...

I've always aimed for a salary which covers 50% of my expenses. This then means I can accumulate enough to retire within 25 years.
Original post by Mathlover123
I do not get parental support and live in London, I am on full grant and live with my partner. I have a fairly nice 1 bed flat for 1k a month and spend about 50 a week on food with plenty of money left over. Your view of London is quite incorrect I feel.

1k a month is a cheapo cheapo flat. Living with a partner; you pay 125 pounds a month, which is unheard of in London, unless you live with someone in a 1 bed. That's when you won't struggle on full grant.

50 a week on food is severe budgeting also, but I guess it's possible.
I read somewhere online that people in Britain who earn £50K a year are the most happiest because they have the money to pay for wants as well as needs but also, their profession doesn't take over their lives as it would if you earned £100K, so these people have also free time to spare with family and for themselves etc.

but I don't think it's the amount you have to earn to be having a decent wage, it's still quite a lot, i'd say 30-40K was fine
but I guess it depends on factors such as family size and what job you're doing
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Oh because you earn anywhere near £100? Oh wait your living with your parents and probably don't earn anywhere near even £10k a year :biggrin:

parents live abroad hahaha back in the homeland...but i get 'respectable' amounts wired in every month or so...
Original post by Guills on wheels
1k a month is a cheapo cheapo flat. Living with a partner; you pay 125 pounds a month, which is unheard of in London, unless you live with someone in a 1 bed. That's when you won't struggle on full grant.

50 a week on food is severe budgeting also, but I guess it's possible.

I still don't get what you buy to need more than £50 a week on food to not be budgeting.
Original post by SophieSmall
I still don't get what you buy to need more than £50 a week on food to not be budgeting.

This again :')

For one person, maybe 50 a week. For two? No! I don't see how that is possible!

Maybe I just like food too much :')

I'm not overweight though...

Well, I am, but I'm not fat, my waist is a medium guys for my height...

I don't know...

:hmmmm2:
This again :')

For one person, maybe 50 a week. For two? No! I don't see how that is possible!

Maybe I just like food too much :')

I'm not overweight though...

Well, I am, but I'm not fat, my waist is a medium guys for my height...

I don't know...

:hmmmm2:

For two people still possible if eating the same meals, but it would be more of a budget. For one person it's not even budgeting it's just taking the piss to be honest unless you have massively expensive dietary requirements.
For two people still possible if eating the same meals, but it would be more of a budget. For one person it's not even budgeting it's just taking the piss to be honest unless you have massively expensive dietary requirements.

For one person I can see that as being more than ample, fair enough.

For two people would be a tighter squeeze considering everything else… fruit and all that too.

Does this include drinks?
I'm genuinely interested to know what careers you are all planning to go into if you want to earn over £100k a year.
For one person I can see that as being more than ample, fair enough.

For two people would be a tighter squeeze considering everything else… fruit and all that too.

Does this include drinks?

Yepp I'd include drinks, but not alcohol.
Yepp I'd include drinks, but not alcohol.

Well, that reduces it slightly.

I mean, maybe it is possible, but surely it'd still be better to overbudget than underbudget for this?
Original post by charl0tte90
I'm genuinely interested to know what careers you are all planning to go into if you want to earn over £100k a year.

Investment Banking, Management Consulting or Corporate Development. Or a combination of the three :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charl0tte90

For me it's insurance.

I don't live in UK so it's not a fair comparison, but I make £43k net a year on my first salary...
Well, that reduces it slightly.

I mean, maybe it is possible, but surely it'd still be better to overbudget than underbudget for this?

Aye it's always better to over budget so that you at least have money to fall back on, but even still 50 is a lot.
I'd be over the moon with anything over £25k :smile:

I've been brought up in a household earning around that much per year, and I'd say we're fairly well-off. Obviouly I have friends who have much bigger houses and go on holiday on the time, but I'm really happy with out situation. My parents are just very very good at budgeting, and don't waste money - buying from charity shops, own brands and farmers markets, often going on UK-based holidays, scarcely going for meals out, making the best use of reduced price food, maintaining the house well themselves, not buying unnecessary things (we only have one laptop and one telly between the four of us) - we look after our home well and it does look fairly smart inside, so I think people often think we're better off than we are :smile:
Aye it's always better to over budget so that you at least have money to fall back on, but even still 50 is a lot.

Maybe. But it's nice to eat nicely (if you can) sometimes.
Maybe. But it's nice to eat nicely (if you can) sometimes.

You don't need 50 a week as a single person to eat nicely. :P

this is my budget in comparison to how nicely I eat.

£10 a week (if struggling for money) eat nice enough food but fairly repetitive and little to no snacking or eating out

£15 a week, quite typical for me, variety of foods really quite yummy, snacking but i make my own snack, but no meals or food out (i dont generally like to anyway)

£20 a week, same as £15 but i can also buy pre made snacks and treats and get maybe sonething while out

£30 a week, never spent this much, the only thing that would really change is the amount of food i'd buy but i already eat loads, i even gained weight :frown:

£40-50 a week to ridiculous to even think of unless i went out to a restaurant that week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending