The Student Room Group

Confusion over University criteria... UNITS?

Hi all:smile:,

In one of the university prospectuses I have seen that you require 300 UCAS points from A2 (6 unit) or 12 unit awards from a minimum of 18 units (any combination of VCE units/ A level units). I am from Northern Ireland, perhaps this is different over here? :confused:. What does this mean? I am currently studying Religious Studies (A Level), Information Communications and Technologies (A Level) and Health and Social Care (Applied A Level with OCR). Am I eligible for a course with this criteria provided I get the 300 UCAS points?
Thanks
Original post by -Laureliz-
Hi all:smile:,

In one of the university prospectuses I have seen that you require 300 UCAS points from A2 (6 unit) or 12 unit awards from a minimum of 18 units (any combination of VCE units/ A level units). I am from Northern Ireland, perhaps this is different over here? :confused:. What does this mean? I am currently studying Religious Studies (A Level), Information Communications and Technologies (A Level) and Health and Social Care (Applied A Level with OCR). Am I eligible for a course with this criteria provided I get the 300 UCAS points?
Thanks

Your A levels will count the same as 6 unit A levels do (some A levels only contain 4 units now-I'm guessing that might be why you're confused, it sounds like an out of date prospectus). They probably only mention units to distinguish between A levels and BTECs, which are the equivalent of double A levels (or 12 units).
Reply 2
Original post by mscaffrey
Your A levels will count the same as 6 unit A levels do (some A levels only contain 4 units now-I'm guessing that might be why you're confused, it sounds like an out of date prospectus). They probably only mention units to distinguish between A levels and BTECs, which are the equivalent of double A levels (or 12 units).

Its a 2015 prospectus from LJMU:confused:
Thanks for your help :smile:
Its a 2015 prospectus from LJMU:confused:
Thanks for your help :smile:

It's possible that they're using the same outline as previous years-it's not unknown for information to be out of date because something like that hasn't been spotted.

And it's no problem :smile:
Hi. Getting into high school it's a challenge. Just apply and give it your best at open day. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by mscaffrey
It's possible that they're using the same outline as previous years-it's not unknown for information to be out of date because something like that hasn't been spotted.

And it's no problem :smile:

:biggrin: Do you reckon the A Level with OCR is 6 units? Its 50% Coursework and 50% Exam... I do it through a different school and we never had the ins and outs explained to us with regard to uni application.
Reply 6
Original post by jjc123crump
Hi. Getting into high school it's a challenge. Just apply and give it your best at open day. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is university application. I am already at a grammar school. Thanks for the vote of confidence though!
:biggrin: Do you reckon the A Level with OCR is 6 units? Its 50% Coursework and 50% Exam... I do it through a different school and we never had the ins and outs explained to us with regard to uni application.

It looks like there's both a single and double award on that specification so it's going to be at least a 6 unit qualification. If it was a double award it would be a 12 unit one, but I think you'd know if you were doing a double award. :smile:
300 Points = BBB from three full A-levels.

The units is mostly intended to refer to BTECs, I think.
Reply 9
Original post by loperdoper
300 Points = BBB from three full A-levels.

The units is mostly intended to refer to BTECs, I think.

Thanks, yeah it was just the units I was unsure of :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest