The Student Room Group

question about assignment grades

Hi, If I get M on my first assignment, M on my second assignment and P on my third assignment, will my unit average be M or P?
Original post by QuestionAsker27
Hi, If I get M on my first assignment, M on my second assignment and P on my third assignment, will my unit average be M or P?

P(ass).

You will find text like the below in any BTEC specification (I've added the bold/red for clarity):

"When a learner has completed all the assessment for a unit then the assessment team will give a grade for the unit. This is given simply according to the highest level for which the learner is judged to have met all the criteria. Therefore:
to achieve a Distinction, a learner must have satisfied all the Distinction criteria (and therefore the Pass and Merit criteria); these define outstanding performance across the unit as a whole
to achieve a Merit, a learner must have satisfied all the Merit criteria (and therefore the Pass criteria) through high performance in each learning aim
to achieve a Pass, a learner must have satisfied all the Pass criteria for the learning aims, showing coverage of the unit content and therefore attainment at Level 3 of the national framework."

So, if you achieved a P(ass) on the third assignment you can't have met all M(erit) criteria for the unit and therefore can't be awarded a M(erit). :frown:
Original post by DataVenia
P(ass).

You will find text like the below in any BTEC specification (I've added the bold/red for clarity):

"When a learner has completed all the assessment for a unit then the assessment team will give a grade for the unit. This is given simply according to the highest level for which the learner is judged to have met all the criteria. Therefore:
to achieve a Distinction, a learner must have satisfied all the Distinction criteria (and therefore the Pass and Merit criteria); these define outstanding performance across the unit as a whole
to achieve a Merit, a learner must have satisfied all the Merit criteria (and therefore the Pass criteria) through high performance in each learning aim
to achieve a Pass, a learner must have satisfied all the Pass criteria for the learning aims, showing coverage of the unit content and therefore attainment at Level 3 of the national framework."

So, if you achieved a P(ass) on the third assignment you can't have met all M(erit) criteria for the unit and therefore can't be awarded a M(erit). :frown:

would I at least get more points than people who get all Ps?
would I at least get more points than people who get all Ps?

BTECs don't work that way. For internal units, you get a fixed number of points for each unit grade. So everyone who gets a unit grade of Pass gets the same points for that unit. (External units work differently, and the same grades in different units can be worth different points.)

I assume this is a BTEC? If it's something like an AQA Level 3 Extended Certificate, then you would have more points than someone who got a Pass in each assessment.
BTECs don't work that way. For internal units, you get a fixed number of points for each unit grade. So everyone who gets a unit grade of Pass gets the same points for that unit. (External units work differently, and the same grades in different units can be worth different points.)

I assume this is a BTEC? If it's something like an AQA Level 3 Extended Certificate, then you would have more points than someone who got a Pass in each assessment.

I'm doing a Pearson BTEC level 3 extended diploma in engineering
I'm doing a Pearson BTEC level 3 extended diploma in engineering

OK. Then for an internal unit (i.e. one with assignments) all students with the same grade in a given unit get the same points. There's no benefit to having done better in some assignments than someone else, if you both got the same unit grade.
OK. Then for an internal unit (i.e. one with assignments) all students with the same grade in a given unit get the same points. There's no benefit to having done better in some assignments than someone else, if you both got the same unit grade.

Well that sucks. Thanks for telling me though. Really helped to clear the confusion

Hi, I have a new question. In a unit would distinction, distinction and pass be a merit overall?
Hi, I have a new question. In a unit would distinction, distinction and pass be a merit overall?

No. It would be a Pass.

To get a Pass in a unit, you need to get at least a Pass in each assignment. You have.
To get a Merit in a unit, you need to get at least a Merit in each assignment. You haven't.
To get a Distinction in a unit, you need to get a Distinction each assignment. You haven't.

Hence it's a Pass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending