The Student Room Group

AQA Unseen Poem - Mark my answer please!

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
(edited 7 years ago)
Can I just say: I'm the poet and I don't think I'm saying anything about parenthood! The child in the poem finds out how to be a creative artist all by himself.
Reply 3
Original post by Sheenagh Pugh
Can I just say: I'm the poet and I don't think I'm saying anything about parenthood! The child in the poem finds out how to be a creative artist all by himself.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ozmo19
Whoever this is, whether it is the real poet or not, how can you "think", surely you should know if you wrote it? You literally made this account just to say that?

Yes, I am the writer and I said "think" quite deliberately. Meaning, in a poem or any other piece of writing, is a two-stage process: it is created not only when the words leave my pen but when they enter other ears or eyes. The poet's version of what a poem "means" is not necessarily privileged above the reader's, and hasn't been since Adorno. I was not consciously speaking of parenthood in that poem; that does not mean others cannot legitimately read that theme into it. It's a very old-fashioned attitude to suppose that there is only one way to read a piece of writing. As for your last sentence, I was not seeking your approval for why I made the account.
Reply 5
Original post by Sheenagh Pugh
Yes, I am the writer and I said "think" quite deliberately. Meaning, in a poem or any other piece of writing, is a two-stage process: it is created not only when the words leave my pen but when they enter other ears or eyes. The poet's version of what a poem "means" is not necessarily privileged above the reader's, and hasn't been since Adorno. I was not consciously speaking of parenthood in that poem; that does not mean others cannot legitimately read that theme into it. It's a very old-fashioned attitude to suppose that there is only one way to read a piece of writing. As for your last sentence, I was not seeking your approval for why I made the account.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ozmo19
And what are your opinions about the interpretations I gathered from the poem about parenthood?

btw, I took this from the AQA Unseen Poetry Guide (CGP) which set the poem and the question so I didn't choose this topic, I simply put down my interpretations and what you possibly could have been implying.

I think you have a problem in that AQA have, in my view, set a daft question. To me, the poem is about the genesis of art, of fiction. There are as it happens no parents in the poem; there's a grandmother, her grandson and an unnamed narrator who is clearly in some relationship to the boy but chooses not to say what it is. Throughout, in fact, the narrator is shifting the goalposts of "what really happened" and what is "made up", until by the last verse several things we thought were facts turn out not to have been. This is how art gets made, and when you say "they must direct their children down the right path and point them in the right direction otherwise they may develop bad habits, such as lying, " I would have to disagree. I think it's pretty clear that the child's new accomplishment of lying is in fact a wonderful thing, because it is what leads to all art. It means he is no longer constrained to see the world as it is, or seems, he can make it different if he wants to. Lying may be bad in some social contexts - though not all; you don't tell your aunt her new hat is ugly even if it is - but the poem emphasises all the positive aspects of playing around with "the truth", whatever that is.
Reply 7
hb
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9

:colondollar:Didn't expect to meet the poet ehh...
what would you give it out of 18? I know it is quite horrendous, I would expect 11/12, you'll be able to mark it honestly seeing as you have an A* in your igcse..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ozmo19
:colondollar:Didn't expect to meet the poet ehh...
what would you give it out of 18? I know it is quite horrendous, I would expect 11/12, you'll be able to mark it honestly seeing as you have an A* in your igcse..

I don't know the poem itself, although I did notice in your essay a grammatical error which I would personally have penalised. And you do seem to make some very general comments which I could be picky about. But then again, I do this myself, so I won't be mean about it. I think it's a decent essay and could range between 10 and 15 out of 18, depending on the marker, to be honest. But don't take my opinion to heart as I'm not a teacher myself!
Reply 11
Original post by Edminzodo
I don't know the poem itself, although I did notice in your essay a grammatical error which I would personally have penalised. And you do seem to make some very general comments which I could be picky about. But then again, I do this myself, so I won't be mean about it. I think it's a decent essay and could range between 10 and 15 out of 18, depending on the marker, to be honest. But don't take my opinion to heart as I'm not a teacher myself!

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest