The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hudl
WTF when did this happen?

Last year hull York guaranteed interviews to those with 700+, and with the highest scores ever resulting in over 40% of applicants nationwide having this...let's just say it stretched their facilities to the max xD

This year only just over 10% of people have 700+, and I imagine less than 1% have 800+! So if it did happen it wouldn't really matter anyway!
Original post by kashc94
Hey I'm a first year at exeter medical school. Feel free to ask any questions u may have :smile: and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did the process work for you. I mean dates of ukcat cutoffs, gamsat cutoffs, interviews and how long it took for offers?
Original post by Dr. Django
Last year hull York guaranteed interviews to those with 700+, and with the highest scores ever resulting in over 40% of applicants nationwide having this...let's just say it stretched their facilities to the max xD

This year only just over 10% of people have 700+, and I imagine less than 1% have 800+! So if it did happen it wouldn't really matter anyway!

To be fair it was even worse than you describe...

They planned to base their decisions on UKCAT. Interviews started getting released but when several very high UKCAT scorers reported that they hadn't got interviews the thread started getting puzzled. Eventually, out of the blue, the highest scorers suddenly announced that they had received offers without interview. Those with interviews were instantly shell-shocked because they realised they were now competing for far fewer available places. Loads of people were angry ++ about the mid-cycle change in criteria, etc. etc….

All in all complete unhappy chaos :frown:
Original post by Dr Gin
To be fair it was even worse than you describe...

They planned to base their decisions on UKCAT. Interviews started getting released but when several very high UKCAT scorers reported that they hadn't got interviews the thread started getting puzzled. Eventually, out of the blue, the highest scorers suddenly announced that they had received offers without interview. Those with interviews were instantly shell-shocked because they realised they were now competing for far fewer available places. Loads of people were angry ++ about the mid-cycle change in criteria, etc. etc….

All in all complete unhappy chaos :frown:

I can't believe I didn't know this! I've applied to HYMS, I have 760 in my UKCAT, they've been giving out interviews this week to people with lower scores than me, so i've been getting a bit worried. Hopefully they'll do this again haha
Well I'm gutted now. I have 807.5 (3230) and I have no offer, or even an interview.

Sad face.
Original post by Don'tMessThisUp
Well I'm gutted now. I have 807.5 (3230) and I have no offer, or even an interview.

Sad face.

Are you talking about Hull York or Exeter?
Original post by Don'tMessThisUp

Sad face.

Congrats on your amazing score!

It's November! No one has offers yet!!

As I assume you applied to ukcat heavy unis, very few have started giving out interviews yet. Furthermore, most interview for at least 4 months, so you have plenty of time :smile:
Stop stressing, with your score you will obviously get isterviews (as long as you applied to your strengths) so it's only a matter of time before they'll come rolling in! Chillax
No, actually, I'm a GAMSAT student as well, but Exeter are using that. I wish I'd gone through the UKCAT route for them! (I used it for KCL).

I've got a SGUL interview today though, which is nice.
Maybe today will be the day.... I remember my friend applied to Exeter for med last year and it seemed that all interviews/offers/rejections were given out on Friday's at like 5 o'clock haha (I may be wrong)
Original post by JudgeJudy96
Maybe today will be the day.... I remember my friend applied to Exeter for med last year and it seemed that all interviews/offers/rejections were given out on Friday's at like 5 o'clock haha (I may be wrong)

Let's hope that's the case this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the A* guy
Let's hope that's the case this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So 5 mins then :tongue: that'd be nice!
So 5 mins then :tongue: that'd be nice!

For some reason I doubt we will get replies today :tongue:.

Also I just checked last years thread and many people were rejected before any interviews were given out on that friday, so this increases my doubt even more.
Does anybody know what the first interview date is? Just subtract 2 weeks from that and you'll get an approximate invite date.
Original post by the A* guy
For some reason I doubt we will get replies today :tongue:.

Also I just checked last years thread and many people were rejected before any interviews were given out on that friday, so this increases my doubt even more.

Yeah not today! Surely next week though as otherwise people are gonna have such short notice!?
Original post by Mehhhh
Does anybody know what the first interview date is? Just subtract 2 weeks from that and you'll get an approximate invite date.

That's the thing...someone earlier on the thread said they called and interviews are from the 3rd to the 15th! If they are correct then invitations will surely be arriving early next week
That's the thing...someone earlier on the thread said they called and interviews are from the 3rd to the 15th! If they are correct then invitations will surely be arriving early next week

Yh, I was the person who called and they told me 3rd to 15th.

Who knows they might have changed it, tbh I hope they have cause I wouldn't want to get an interview with less than 2 weeks notice.
I phoned up and they said we'd all get emails by the end of the week, or at least Thats what I heard
Original post by Mr_Cupcakes
I phoned up and they said we'd all get emails by the end of the week, or at least Thats what I heard

The end of next week?
Original post by numar9501
The end of next week?

I might be wrong, but I feel like they said this week, they've defintely set the UKCAT cut off but who knows, could be running behind schedule?
Original post by Mr_Cupcakes
I might be wrong, but I feel like they said this week, they've defintely set the UKCAT cut off but who knows, could be running behind schedule?

I would have expected this week too tbh-esp with their apparent interview dates-but yeah maybe Monday tuesday next week :smile: good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending