The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Not only are you playing pathetically it seems that the attitude of your players & manager is now that you are nothing more than a mid-table club and that you have zero ambition.

To quote Jordan Henderson after your pathetic display tonight:

"We knew it would be a tough game, they are a very good team technically but we showed great character to stay in the game, we looked dangerous on the counter and were more solid tonight but disappointed to concede late on."

You were playing a Bulgarian side who had never before made it to the group stage of the Champions League and whose best ever performance to date was the last 16 of the Europa League and who have a squad full of nobodies and Henderson is making excuses? They're not a "very good team technically", they're arguably one of the worst two or three sides in the Champions League this year. Resorting to having to play counter attacking football against a team like that in order to stand any chance of getting something from the game is just pathetic.

You were outplayed from start to finish, they dominated possession, had far more shots, had far more shots from dangerous positions and you were bloody lucky to even get a single point out of it.

I do love the fact that Liverpool are very quickly becoming a complete laughing stock, it's great.
Not meaning to wind anyone up here, but you should try enjoy this Champions League whilst you can, with the current squad and management you look set for another lengthy absence from the competition
On the plus side, Lambert has looks to be the much better option than Balotelli. Sterling looks to be getting back on form, he should of scored his goal though.

Negative side, Gerrard seems to have Rodgers by the balls. Poor Set piece defending and Mignolet.
Well that's that for Liverpool in the champions league imo. I dont see Rodgers fielding his best team against Basel with United being the next game in the league after that fixture. It's a shame, im surprised at how you guys failed to qualify in a group containing 2 European minnows. Would you guys take Europa?
Original post by Deshi
We invite so much pressure on ourselves, it's ridiculous really, you could see that goal coming.

Just such a poor team at the minute, in every facet, manager down to all the players. Such a disappointing season so far, especially after the high of last year.

The thing that I find laughable is that you actually have a decent squad. Even with Suarez gone and Sturridge injured you should still be top 8 without much of a problem, but it just seems like none of your players give a crap about the team any more. They're quite happy to take their money and put in a half arsed performance every time and that's utterly disgraceful.
Reply 5925
Wow... What a **** show.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mackemforever
The thing that I find laughable is that you actually have a decent squad. Even with Suarez gone and Sturridge injured you should still be top 8 without much of a problem, but it just seems like none of your players give a crap about the team any more. They're quite happy to take their money and put in a half arsed performance every time and that's utterly disgraceful.

There is a difference between not caring and having low confidence. You should be giving more stick to Rodgers rather than the players.
Original post by samir12
There is a difference between not caring and having low confidence. You should be giving more stick to Rodgers rather than the players.

Low confidence is no excuse. Look at any of the teams near the bottom of the table and you'll see their players working till they drop every single match, putting every ounce of effort that they can into their performance all while playing for a team that is losing the majority of games, views every point as a great success and is going to spend the entire season fighting against relegation.

If every single player for Burnley can work their bloody socks off every time they step off the pitch then there is zero excuse for Liverpool players to not bother putting any effort in.
The thing that I find laughable is that you actually have a decent squad
. Even with Suarez gone and Sturridge injured you should still be top 8 without much of a problem, but it just seems like none of your players give a crap about the team any more. They're quite happy to take their money and put in a half arsed performance every time and that's utterly disgraceful.

Means nothing when the manager is benching their best players every week. I think he is to blame rather than the players. Imagine if you're someone like Can, Lallana or Moreno, you've played well this season yet you're constantly seeing **** and past it players repeatedly getting a game ahead of you. It's not good for their morale, is it?

Mignolet, Gerrard, Skrtel & Johnson should all be dropped tbh. This has so much in common with us last season, where Moyes repeatedly started Young, Fellaini, Valencia, Cleverley and Ferdinand despite the fact they were all playing ****.
Original post by samir12

Low confidence is no excuse. Look at any of the teams near the bottom of the table and you'll see their players working till they drop every single match, putting every ounce of effort that they can into their performance all while playing for a team that is losing the majority of games, views every point as a great success and is going to spend the entire season fighting against relegation.

If every single player for Burnley can work their bloody socks off every time they step off the pitch then there is zero excuse for Liverpool players to not bother putting any effort in.

And as for your second point, why? Sure he's not doing great, and he does seem to be making some downright poor decisions but even if he's playing the wrong system, putting the wrong players out, and not doing the right things for the team that doesn't stop the players from working hard. It will make their life harder but instead of digging in and giving it their all your players just seem to give up the second a game starts to go against you.

I know, the lack of confidence and belief in this team is extraordinary really. Everytime we manage to grind a win out (which is rarely) it feels like the team might actually get some confidence back and play like they've seen each other before, but they just can't manage it. Sad state of affairs.
Original post by Angry cucumber
My reaction precisely

This season is a joke, we've become a mockery

It's so much worse just because last season was so brilliant.

Original post by sr90
They're out I think, as their H2H is worse than Liverpool and Basel.

Ah that's good news. Least it's still in our control going into the last game..?
Original post by sr90
Means nothing when the manager is benching their best players every week. I think he is to blame rather than the players. Imagine if you're someone like Can, Lallana or Moreno, you've played well this season yet you're constantly seeing **** and past it players repeatedly getting a game ahead of you. It's not good for their morale, is it?

Mignolet, Gerrard, Skrtel & Johnson should all be dropped tbh. This has so much in common with us last season, where Moyes repeatedly started Young, Fellaini, Valencia, Cleverley and Ferdinand despite the fact they were all playing ****.

You know what I'd do? I'd work. I'd play my heart out every time I got on the pitch, but they don't. They all seem happy to sit back and put in the same minimal amount of effort that everybody else is whenever they do get a chance to prove themselves.
The worst thing is how soft we look? Players waltz past us and even when we press, they seem to ignore or shrug us off. Really bizzare to watch.
Never heard Gary Neville chat so much crap before in my life.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Never heard Gary Neville chat so much crap before in my life.

You're never going to get unbiased analysis on Liverpool from Gary Neville. It's the same when Souness talks about United.

You know what I'd do? I'd work. I'd play my heart out every time I got on the pitch, but they don't. They all seem happy to sit back and put in the same minimal amount of effort that everybody else is whenever they do get a chance to prove themselves.

I wouldn't say you can apply that to any Liverpool player tbh, apart from Balotelli.
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Well that's that for Liverpool in the champions league imo. I dont see Rodgers fielding his best team against Basel with United being the next game in the league after that fixture. It's a shame, im surprised at how you guys failed to qualify in a group containing 2 European minnows. Would you guys take Europa?

You do realise a draw counts for the same as a win to what Liverpool's aspirations of going forward in the CL...

A win vs Basel at home puts Liverpool through. That's not unfeasible. It's 50/50 tbh, and you'll probably get the bookies saying the same thing.

In fact they are 11/8 to go out of the group stage.

What was Neville talking about? Turned it off.
(edited 9 years ago)

Sorry but in the Real Madrid game they showed a million times more effort and worked their asses off than but they still got dropped. Think you are giving Rodgers more protection than he deserves.
(edited 9 years ago)
We've conceded 13 goals this season from set pieces. :lol: What are they even doing in training.
Our GD is 4 lower than Basel, do we need to beat them by at least 4, or is it head to head?

Quick Reply

Latest