The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

OK finally managed to get them together, from all corners of my inbox lol...
Along with some emails the colleges said this:

Downing college:
As a record of academic achievement over a number of public examinations, UMS percentages at AS Level are a very important element of a candidate’s application, and very strong UMS performance may make up for slightly less stellar performance in the BMAT. However, each candidate is assessed holistically using a combination of their exam results, performance at interview, personal statement, school/college reference, contextual data etc before a decision is made.

Peterhouse college:
1. The average BMAT score for candidates who were not invited for interview was 4.1 for section 1 and 4.2 for section 2. For section 3, calculating a meaningful average is not possible as different candidates answer different essay questions, which gives us too small a number of candidates per question for a reliable average to be calculated. Of these candidates, only 2 were taking GCSEs and A-levels, so a meaningful average is unavailable.
2. The average BMAT score for unsuccessful applicants to Peterhouse was 4.8 for section 1 and 5.2 for section 2. For section 3, calculating a meaningful average is not possible as different candidates answer different essay questions, which gives us too small a number of candidates per question for a reliable average to be calculated. These candidates had an average of 7 A*s at GCSE. Their average UMS for the 3 most relevant subjects at AS was 89.7%.
3. The average BMAT score for successful applicants to Peterhouse was 7.1 for section 1 and 5.8 for section 2. section 3, calculating a meaningful average is not possible as different candidates answer different essay questions, which gives us too small a number of candidates per question for a reliable average to be calculated. These candidates had an average of 9.5 A*s at GCSE. Their average UMS for the 3 most relevant subjects at AS was 95%.
4. All applicants are considered using all available information, with our Admissions Tutors looking to gain a holistic impression of a candidate’s potential. For applicants in Medicine, the BMAT score is an important part of this assessment. It should be remembered that the BMAT score, and the UMS data, are considered in such a holistic context and that no specific weights are attached to any one part of the application, nor are scores considered in isolation from the personal statement, school reference, predicted grades, supplemental application questionnaire, Cambridge online preliminary application (if applicable) and extenuating circumstances form (if applicable).

I am happy to clarify that the GCSE requirements to study Medicine at Cambridge are grades C or above in dual-award science and mathematics/biology, physics and mathematics. I am also happy to clarify that our typical offer for Medicine is A*A*A with preferred subjects being the 3 sciences (Chemistry, Physics, Biology) and mathematics, with Chemistry essential. We aim to interview the majority of candidates each year and, as mentioned above, all available information is considered at every stage in the application process.

Jesus College:
While our applicants generally have strong GCSE profiles (5+ A*/As), there is no GCSE requirement for medicine other than that set by the GMC for all medical schools (Grade C or above in Physics, Biology and Mathematics)

· AS UMS percentage scores for successful Medicine applicants are generally in the mid to high 90s (although this is not a formal requirement). Their A2 predictions generally reflect their AS results.
· We generally like realistic candidates to score in the top 50% for sections 1 & 2 of the BMAT, with at least one of those scores in the top 20%.

St Johns College:
4. We do not operate a points system. Our assessment of a candidate’s academic potential will be based on a combination of past examination results, BMAT results, and the confidential report from their school, as well as the interview. We aim to interview 65 candidates and use the BMAT results to aid our selection. The main purpose of the interviews is to help us to set this information in perspective and to find out more about a candidate’s motivation and aptitude for the Cambridge course and profession.

Pembroke College also said:

1) Applicants who did not secure an interview at Pembroke averaged 85.3% across their science/Maths AS Levels. Where they sat the various science/Maths AS Levels, they averaged 85% in Chemistry, 84.6% in Biology, 84.3% in Physics and 86.1% in Maths. They averaged 4.7 in BMAT 1, 4.3 in BMAT 2, and 3.1 in BMAT 3. They averaged 5.7A*s at GCSE. The most common subjects at AS were Chemistry, Biology and Maths.

2) Those we interviewed averaged 94.1% across their science/Maths AS Levels. Where they sat the various science/Maths AS Levels, they averaged 92.5% in Chemistry, 93.2% in Biology, 93.8% in Physics and 94.5% in Maths. They averaged 5.8 in BMAT 1, 5.7 in BMAT 2, and 3.3 in BMAT 3. They averaged 8.8*A*s at GCSE. The most common subjects at AS were Chemistry, Biology and Maths.

3) Those who received offers averaged 98.3% across their science/Maths AS subjects. Where they sat the various science/Maths AS Levels, they averaged 96.5% in Chemistry, 97.9% in Biology, 97.7% in Physics and 98.8% in Maths. They averaged 6.5 in BMAT 1, 6.8 in BMAT 2, and 3.4 in BMAT 3. They averaged 9.7*A*s at GCSE. The most common subjects at AS were Chemistry, Biology and Maths.

4) There are no strict weighting systems applied to decisions about those to whom we make offers as our decisions are holistic. Candidates' performance in sixth form examinations and BMAT 1 and 2 are the most important, but not the only, things we consider in our decisions.

Hope this helps along with the attachments above!!

And Good luck everyone!!

Reply 361
Anyone hear from St John's college?
Original post by docemm
Anyone hear from St John's college?

Nope, still waiting :frown: what about you?
Reply 363
Original post by Elishaclark2
Nope, still waiting :frown: what about you?

Nothing yet... maybe they will send them out tomorrow?
Original post by docemm
Nothing yet... maybe they will send them out tomorrow?

I'm hoping so, it said on the update they sent out on the applicant website it should be by the 28th, so fingers crossed! Do you know if they send emails too? :smile:
Christ's College Emailed me just now XD :smile: Sooooo Happy!!!

This is just to let you know that we will be inviting you to attend interviews in Cambridge between the 8th and 12th December. If you have already notified me that you are unable to attend on certain dates this will be taken into account when scheduling interviews. If, subsequent to the information you gave in your supplementary application questionnaire, you now have another commitment during that week which you’d like to keep, please let me know and I’ll try to avoid that day, if at all possible.

Congratulations on being selected for interviews in Medicine!
Reply 366
I'm hoping so, it said on the update they sent out on the applicant website it should be by the 28th, so fingers crossed! Do you know if they send emails too? :smile:

No I dont :/ How did your BMAT go?
Original post by docemm
No I dont :/ How did your BMAT go?

It went okay I think, I got 5.9, 6.9, 4A! Hopefully my S2 will make my applicant look better :smile: how about you?
Reply 368

Hey! St John's haven't got back to me either yet as well.

How did your BMAT go?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by a123a
Hey! St John's haven't got back to me either yet as well.

How did you BMAT go?

Oh phew! Looks like they haven't got back to any of us yet then :smile: and 5.9, 6.9, 4A :smile: how about yours? Let's hope we all get interviewed! So happy the number of applicants dropped so much for John's this year!
Reply 370
It went okay I think, I got 5.9, 6.9, 4A! Hopefully my S2 will make my applicant look better :smile: how about you?

I also went reasonably well... 6.3, 7.1, 4A
Original post by docemm

Wow congratulations, that's an amazing score! :smile:
Original post by docemm

Reasonably well?! Ur not joking r u....
Reply 373
Wow congratulations, that's an amazing score! :smile:

Congratulations to you too!
Reply 374
Oh phew! Looks like they haven't got back to any of us yet then :smile: and 5.9, 6.9, 4A :smile: how about yours? Let's hope we all get interviewed! So happy the number of applicants dropped so much for John's this year!

My BMAT went ok, I got 5.1 5.7 3.5A. :redface:
Yeah I'm happy that the number of applicants has dropped too!
Original post by a123a
My BMAT went ok, I got 5.1 5.7 3.5A. :redface:
Yeah I'm happy that the number of applicants has dropped too!

Congratulations, that's a very good score! :smile: hopefully the majority of us will be interviewed now :smile: have you seen the stats for last years John's med applicants? :smile:
Reply 376
Wooo got an email from Christ's saying I've been selected for Interview :biggrin:
My BMAT isnt great though, so Im worried that despite the interview I might not get an offer, and my UMS is 95 which seems to be lower than the average of most colleges

Anyone have the info on who Christ's give offers to?
Reply 377
Congratulations, that's a very good score! :smile: hopefully the majority of us will be interviewed now :smile: have you seen the stats for last years John's med applicants? :smile:

Thanks! My scores not exceedingly well, but I would say that they're about average.
Your BMAT score is very good and your stats are also brill, so I would be very surprised if you don't get an interview!
Yeah I have looked at the stats for last year, and I'm slightly more relieved that a lot of people got offers with 5s in S1 and S2 in their BMAT.

Do interview invites get sent by email?
Original post by a123a
Thanks! My scores not exceedingly well, but I would say that they're about average.
Your BMAT score is very good and your stats are also brill, so I would be very surprised if you don't get an interview!
Yeah I have looked at the stats for last year, and I'm slightly more relieved that a lot of people got offers with 5s in S1 and S2 in their BMAT.

Do interview invites get sent by email?

Still no message from Downing... Have they thrown my application because my scores are sub-standard??
Reply 379
Original post by DCMed96
Still no message from Downing... Have they thrown my application because my scores are sub-standard??

Has anyone else applying to Downing heard? You've still got this week left. I haven't heard either yet so I'm in the same position as you right now...
About 70 people have applied to Downing and probably 55-60 will get interviewed. The chance of you getting an interview is quite high. Are your S1 S2 scores in the 5s?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending