The Student Room Group

Are good degrees from bad universities worthless?

Hi, just signed up to this forum after browsing it for some time now.

My question is: is having a well-regarded degree from a not so well-regarded university worthless? For example, a First Class Law degree from Middlesex or a First in Medicine from Plymouth. The impression I get from this forum is that such people have degrees 'not worth the paper they are written on'.

Would you all agree with this?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I personally don't think any university is rubbish so I'm quite interested in what people have to say about this. For people to get into university, they have to work hard to obtain those grades, I don't think any university would just "let anyone" in if they hadn't met with their requirements.
No, this forum is filled with Oxbridge snobs who don't think that any university is worth going to unless it is oxbridge.
Original post by DiddyDec
No, this forum is filled with Oxbridge snobs who don't think that any university is worth going to unless it is oxbridge.

Now we only consider STEM courses from Oxbridge.

Plus it is true.....
Reply 4
I think it depend on the degree - a first in medicine from plymouth is still going to get you a job - especially as you'll have training on top ETC, and doctors/nurses are probably always going to able to find employment, due to the high demand in that sector.

A degree from a university like Plymouth in something like media/film studies isn't going to get you anywhere though realistically. It would be hard enough for someone with a media/film degree from a top 20 uni to find work, let alone a lesser ranked uni.
It think on there own perhaps not worthless but in comparison a law degree from Westminster isn't viewed as having the same worth as a law degree from UCL (for example)
Reply 6
Original post by Safiya122
I personally don't think any university is rubbish so I'm quite interested in what people have to say about this. For people to get into university, they have to work hard to obtain those grades, I don't think any university would just "let anyone" in if they hadn't met with their requirements.

One user on here claimed to have called up Bolton University (one of the lower ranked unis) claiming to have a criminal record and no qualifications but yet was offered a place.
Original post by jamesb22
One user on here claimed to have called up Bolton University (one of the lower ranked unis) claiming to have a criminal record and no qualifications but yet was offered a place.

Really? Hmm..did not know that. Maybe the university gave the user a chance?
Reply 8
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
It think on there own perhaps not worthless but in comparison a law degree from Westminster isn't viewed as having the same worth as a law degree from UCL (for example)

Do you go to Oxbridge? Would you reject a potential boyfriend if they went to Leeds Met for example?
You'll find smarter people everywhere.One of my friends got 5A's at AS levels.She could have applied to Cambridge for Medicine but is set on going to Sheffield.
I think it's supposed to be the same!

Do you go to Oxbridge? Would you reject a potential boyfriend if they went to Leeds Met for example?

No I don't, but I'm going to LSE next year. Regardless of the fact I don't really do relationships, if you'd ask me that question a few years ago I would have said oh DEFINITLY I would reject him. However, I've changed a lot and I've opened my eyes to the world and looked beyond my very narrow view I held before. So now I would say, not completely. Very recently actually I was attracted to somebody that hadnt even gone to university and had no intention to. They came from a very different and less affluent life that I do and it was actually rather refreshing. I was still attracted to them despite their lack of university education.

However, I think that at the end of the day what university somebody goes to is going to affect my attraction to them to a degree. Purely because I am attracted to intelligence as an entity and universities to an extent is a way to gauge intelligence. I'm not saying that everybody at UCL is more intelligent than Bournemtouth universiry students, I'm just saying as entry requirements are generally higher at UCL, acceptance to said institution may mean that a student has higher grades and thus perceived increase in intelligence ( although I am the first to admit that grades are only one way to gauge intelligence) making them more attractive in my eyes.
Yes a degree from a sub par University is not worth the paper it is written on. Employers will laugh at it and may even question your degree subject/value it's very degrading.
Reply 13
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
No I don't, but I'm going to LSE next year. Regardless of the fact I don't really do relationships, if you'd ask me that question a few years ago I would have said oh DEFINITLY I would reject him. However, I've changed a lot and I've opened my eyes to the world and looked beyond my very narrow view I held before. So now I would say, not completely. Very recently actually I was attracted to somebody that hadnt even gone to university and had no intention to. They came from a very different and less affluent life that I do and it was actually rather refreshing. I was still attracted to them despite their lack of university education.

However, I think that at the end of the day what university somebody goes to is going to affect my attraction to them to a degree. Purely because I am attracted to intelligence as an entity and universities to an extent is a way to gauge intelligence. I'm not saying that everybody at UCL is more intelligent than Bournemtouth universiry students, I'm just saying as entry requirements are generally higher at UCL, acceptance to said institution may mean that a student has higher grades and thus perceived increase in intelligence ( although I am the first to admit that grades are only one way to gauge intelligence) making them more attractive in my eyes.

It's good that you're open-minded. I would like to add a few things. Namely that what university you go to depends entirely on your A-Level grades. There may be very good reasons as to why a person didn't get AAA, underachieved and consequently went to Bournemouth instead of UCL, when if those very same circumstances were undergone by anyone else at UCL, they too would probably be at Bournemouth (or somewhere else like it). It is for reasons like that, that I cannot agree with intelligence being linked to what university you attend. As a matter of fact, I don't think what university one attends is an accurate reflection of their intelligence, I think it is more of a reflection of their work ethic and ambition (which I believe are also things women are very attracted to).
Reply 14
I have a friend who graduated this year from London Met with a first in his degree, something business related. Has been looking for jobs since. Though, he has had interviews but never made it passed that.
Hi, just signed up to this forum after browsing it for some time now.

My question is: is having a well-regarded degree from a not so well-regarded university worthless? For example, a First Class Law degree from Middlesex or a First in Medicine from Plymouth. The impression I get from this forum is that such people have degrees 'not worth the paper they are written on'.

Would you all agree with this?

No university can be bad enough to be a burden when you do these sorts of degrees. Since i am planning on doing Law i can explain what i have found, a 1st at a uni like Middlesex is good, but the city firms 'might' know that it is easier to get a 1st from such a uni compared to Oxford. You could be fine in Law since typically a uni like middlesex or any of the others would provide graduates to local firms (highstreet). However a big magic circle or being a barrister is hard if not impossible. Most people on tsr would aspire to such targets so would conclude that they are not worth the paper they are written on. A degree in Law is hugely competitive, however a candidate needs more than a fancy named university in today's economic climate and a lower ranked competitor could easily outshine the top university grad.
Reply 16
Original post by Zuki
I have a friend who graduated this year from London Met with a first in his degree, something business related. Has been looking for jobs since. Though, he has had interviews but never made it passed that.

I feel for people like that. Working harder than everyone else on the course to get a first and still getting nowhere. What about if your friend were to do a masters at a top 5 institution, do you think employers would give him the recognition that he deserves then? or will London Met be like a permanent scar on his CV
Reply 17
Original post by TheMagican
No university can be bad enough to be a burden when you do these sorts of degrees. Since i am planning on doing Law i can explain what i have found, a 1st at a uni like Middlesex is good, but the city firms 'might' know that it is easier to get a 1st from such a uni compared to Oxford. You could be fine in Law since typically a uni like middlesex or any of the others would provide graduates to local firms (highstreet). However a big magic circle or being a barrister is hard if not impossible. Most people on tsr would aspire to such targets so would conclude that they are not worth the paper they are written on. A degree in Law is hugely competitive, however a candidate needs more than a fancy named university in today's economic climate and a lower ranked competitor could easily outshine the top university grad.

Very insightful
Reply 18
I feel for people like that. Working harder than everyone else on the course to get a first and still getting nowhere. What about if your friend were to do a masters at a top 5 institution, do you think employers would give him the recognition that he deserves then? or will London Met be like a permanent scar on his CV

I think it would definitely help him. I know of someone who went to lower tier uni, worked their ass off and got a first, then continued onto a masters at a top 10 uni and is doing pretty well for himself now. But that's just one case, so it's hard to say really.
I know someone who got 3A's at A Level and is doing Events Management at my university when they could be doing a well regarded degree at a better university but she seems happy with her course and being here.

Quick Reply

Latest