The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Exeter had roughly 1500 applicants this year, quoting 4,000 doesn't exactly enhance your credibility on here
I have no idea on precise numbers of applicants - the point is that numbers are high and resources limited. I can assure you my facts are credible in so far as I probed this question during open day....repeatedly. ...

I've missed out as school stringent on predictions to retain integrity and credibility..... High >710 UKCAT too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 842
i think there are a few things that have gone wrong here:
- it doesn't seem like there is a UKCAT cut off this year as very relatively low UKCAT scores have been successful
- in terms of A Levels, i've noticed that the minumum seems to be A*A*A although some resitters who are predicted A*AA re getting interviews for some reason. that basically seems to say that those who sat their exams in two years are penalised if applying to this uni. makes no sense
- finally, predicted grades seem to be more important than achieved? someone predicted A*A*A is better than someone who has achieved A*AA. makes zero sense to me

anyone think that there are more interviews to be given out? this whole 'reserve interview' makes it seem like there aren't any left..

thoughts?
Reply 843
Original post by Omarm23
i think there are a few things that have gone wrong here:
- it doesn't seem like there is a UKCAT cut off this year as very relatively low UKCAT scores have been successful
- in terms of A Levels, i've noticed that the minumum seems to be A*A*A although some resitters who are predicted A*AA re getting interviews for some reason. that basically seems to say that those who sat their exams in two years are penalised if applying to this uni. makes no sense
- finally, predicted grades seem to be more important than achieved? someone predicted A*A*A is better than someone who has achieved A*AA. makes zero sense to me

anyone think that there are more interviews to be given out? this whole 'reserve interview' makes it seem like there aren't any left..

thoughts?

did someone not mention having rung admissions and they clarified that interviews would be given out until friday and a few would be given out for feb too although whether interviews in the new year are for home or international applicants was unclear?
Heres hoping, for sure!! :frown:
Struggling to understand what is meant by a reserve interview,well done to all thoose who got them but can anyone shed some light on what it actually means?

I am in no way saying that i am accurate but my theory is that in order to get an interview you must have either one of two combinations of UKCAT and predicted/achieved grades (although predicted seems to be getting preference):
- High UKCAT (eg around 720+) and at least one A* prediction/achieved
-Lower UKCAT (er below 720 although i assume there is a minimum cut off eg 660) and at least 2 A* prediction.

Therefore as a resit applicant with acheived A*AB (repeating B and predicted A in it this year), and a UKCAT of 660 im pretty pessimistic about my chances.But then again none of us really know how Exeter are selecting for interviews.I wish everyone the best of luck never the less!!!

Any thoughts??
Reply 845
Original post by 96305
did someone not mention having rung admissions and they clarified that interviews would be given out until friday and a few would be given out for feb too although whether interviews in the new year are for home or international applicants was unclear?
Heres hoping, for sure!! :frown:

I thought they said the majority should hear back by Friday. That could mean rejections will start coming out, not necessarily further invites for interview. It's anyone's guess as to what's going on here - it seems very different to last year.
I rang admissions, they said interviews are still going to be handed out throughout this week for December interviews and there are going to be interviews in feb, there's still hope .. I just don't understand why they're giving preference to predicted A levels, is so frustrating :/ I don't see the point in filling up interview slots with "reserve" interviews when stronger candidates are yet to hear.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm predicted A*A*A and my ukcat was 672.5 and I've got a reserve interview. They say its because your achidemic stats are lower so that's ukcat too. I guess they put them all on the same playing field and if your predicted OR achieved grades are lower than other applicants but your PS/references were good then they'll put you up for reserve. That's my understanding of it anyway as from what I can see everyone who's achieved or predicted 3A*'s has got a solid interview. They're giving out interviews till the end of this week so don't panic everyone if you've still not heard anything and good luck!
Original post by bej22
Anyone interested in applying to Exeter medical school, subscribe!

Confirmed place for medicine at Exeter - 2014 entry

A similar thread was posted for 2014 applicants and was very useful to me so I'll be happy to answer any questions about application or interviews!! :smile:

Here's the medicine connect/stalking Page, and the Exeter University page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:

Hey!! ive got an interview on the 11th December!! was just wondering wht can I expect in the interview. Is it based on PS, ethical scenarios or just general chat about work experience etc. Thank you!
Reply 849
if they reli heavily base on predicted grades, it will be so damn unfair to me...my school is really straight. If people didn't get over 90% in AS, the school won't predict as a A*...that's why I got A*AA only...my chemistry is 89.5%!!! Btw any international students got an interview? I am just hoping the February interview is given to international students.
Reply 850
Original post by nicki078
Sorry guys I'm 100% certain on this one
criteria for selection for interview is as follows

first cut - predicted or achieved A level grades. So 3A* then 2A*A then 1A* A A
second cut if required - UKCAT

they do not read your personal statement even if you have an interview. PS would be read after interview if they have ties between candidates

they interview around 500 in total mostly during December.

They certainly didn't make that clear on their website or when I phoned them up.
Not everyone has 200 odd pounds to fly and sleep at exeter just for the open day.
They should make this information accessible to everyone

If Exeter screw me over I will go ape ****
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by annabowdanna
I'm predicted A*A*A and my ukcat was 672.5 and I've got a reserve interview. They say its because your achidemic stats are lower so that's ukcat too. I guess they put them all on the same playing field and if your predicted OR achieved grades are lower than other applicants but your PS/references were good then they'll put you up for reserve. That's my understanding of it anyway as from what I can see everyone who's achieved or predicted 3A*'s has got a solid interview. They're giving out interviews till the end of this week so don't panic everyone if you've still not heard anything and good luck!

You must have been close to the ukcat cut off because I got an interview with 680ukcat and the same predicted grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hudl
They certainly didn't make that clear on their website or when I phoned them up.
Not everyone has 200 odd pounds to fly and sleep at exeter just for the open day.
They should make this information accessible to everyone

If Exeter screw me over I will go ape ****

Keep cool brah, that user has been a little hit and miss with their info so don't take it all as gospel.

I went to the open day and they 100% said it was on predictions/achieved A2 and UKCAT score. They didn't specify the weighting however, so we don't know if one is more important than the other.

Chin up , smash Manchester tomorrow and keep the faith with Exeter; they ouwill have a rational and consistent system! It just may be that it's not individual cutoff for predictions/ukcat but some sort of sliding scale! Whatever it is we'll find out soon enough! 2 days ago I was bricking it and then got one, there are still spots to be given.

P.s. This isn't for Hudl, but for everyone complaining about predicted vs achieved grades: I agree that achieved is so much better than predicted in reality (particularly as someone who was predicted 3A*A and got A*ABB), however, Exeter explicitly state on their website that predicted and achieved grades are considered EQUALLY! Even if you don't deem this to be fair, exeter specified it ages ago, it's been online for everyone to see, so you can't blame them; it's simply their selection policy!!
Reply 853

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one - nicki
This si the only way I can see them use which actually makes sense for the interviews given out
Reply 854
Original post by Ahwab

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one - nicki
This si the only way I can see them use which actually makes sense for the interviews given out

dont get me wrong or vent at me though
i think its harsh and a ridiculous way to decide on interview. Especially regarding the predicteds being used equally

I'd only forgive exeter if they were acknowledging predicteds nased on AS grades
In exactly 24 hours I'll have just started my interview :eek: I feel so unprepared, no idea what to expect!
Which dates are the 'reserve' interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I might as well add to the confusion! I'm a graduate with GAMSAT score of 67. Heard nothing about an interview yet, not even been told cut offs.
Reply 858
no1 heard anything today?
ive got a feeling that no news is bad news as from now, seeing the reserve interviews being handed out and everything :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tingirl
In exactly 24 hours I'll have just started my interview :eek: I feel so unprepared, no idea what to expect!

I've got mine at 4.30 tomorrow! Keep calm it's going to be fine! Good luck!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending