The Student Room Group

Gcse help!!!!!!!!!

Guys I'm looking to getting at least 6 A*'s at GCSEs which start in about 5 months! Can you believe?

I want to get A*'s or rather I NEED to get A*s in these subjects to go to the Sixth Form of my choice. I am predicted A*'s to B ( thank goodness for that!)
But at the rate at which I'm going this is highly unlikely to happen.

I need to get A*'s or at least an A in:
Maths ( I'm a B at the moment I just need to use mathswatch and I've got this one in the bag)

English Language and Literature ( This is so freaking annoying because I get A*'s in all my course work - almost I got a B in descriptive writing but can u blame me? I hated it so much -_-. I think I got an E in the mocks for English language though cause I'm too calculative and well I take a LOT of time to answer questions so I need help on this)

History ( now I really need a lot of help on this one I'm doing WJEC exam board. i don't know how to answer the questions fully and the fricking exam board changed the exam paper style so now I've got no clue what's going to come up so I'm pretty much screwed)

RE ( I just need to revise 3-5 days before)

Triple Science (God help me! I want to be a Doctor but this dream is just going down hill. My teacher, even though he studied at Oxford is just... I literally just can't )

I'm counting this as 1 since I only have a teacher for all three sciences.

Computing (Haha! This one I KNOW i'm going to fail for sure and i'm not alone everyone in my class are just getting D's -if we're lucky-)

So yeah, If you actually took time to read that well-done and thanks now. The bottom line is:
- How do you revise
- How do you know you're making progress
- How do you organize coursework and school work
- How do actually get these mythical grades
Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 1
1. You read through the textbook a thousand times - everything that'll be in those tests WILL be in your textbook. Make notes that are really brief and highlight the key points of the topic. List keywords and definitions e.g. for sciences - enzymes are biological catalysts, hydrocarbons are carbon and hydrogen ONLY.

2. Make poster and stick them on your wall! I've done this and it helps SO much

3. History is ALL about exam technique. Figure out the techniques for 4mrk qs, 6mrk qs etc, and stick to it. In general follow the Point, Explanation, Evidence rule.

4. Keep reading a little of your textbook every day for 20 minutes. English Language - you DO NOT need to think at all! Just answer the question in the simplest possible way. For the articles you have to write - Be argumentative, persuasive, shocking, humourous. Again, learn the exam technique, the 'explain' qs from the 'describe' qs.

5. For history, for each subtopic in the topic, write down what it is and 10 bullet points with points, explanations and evidence. Make an overall timeline so you don't lose the big picture.

6. Do as many practice papers and past questions as possible to time. Prepare yourself to do the exams in timed conditions, with no books or notes around you.

I hope this has helped x
Reply 2
For organisation - clear some shelves and get labelled folders for each subject you're doing. Use dividers to divide coursework from school work.

Also coursework is really crucial, when an English essay is worth 25% overall- it's SO important to get it right. It's the easy bit so make sure you take advantage of the coursework opportunity and get that 25% in the bag before you walk into the exam! I always write them out at home beforehand and read them, and reread until it's very close to memorized.

You get these 'mythical' grades through determination, hard-work, and just being smart about the way you go about revision and work.
I'm doing my gcses too in 5 months, does your school run after school revision sessions? I go to a few of these at my school to get coursework done and revise if I have mocks coming up.
There r also websites to help, r doing aqa science? There is a really good website called my gcse science which has videos for all the science topics (but the guy's voice can get a bit boring).
Hope your exams go well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Student232
I'm doing my gcses too in 5 months, does your school run after school revision sessions? I go to a few of these at my school to get coursework done and revise if I have mocks coming up.
There r also websites to help, r doing aqa science? There is a really good website called my gcse science which has videos for all the science topics (but the guy's voice can get a bit boring).
Hope your exams go well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope! No after school revision sessions sadly :frown:, but they're starting to run 'Support' groups at lunchtimes. I am doing AQA Triple Science, but it's not too bad luckily. Thanks for the tip by the way!

Best of Luck to you too!
Thank you so much!!! I'm midway through my mocks no (yay!) and I'll incorporate this after the mocks and BTW Student232 mygcsescience blocked his part 2 and 3 videos :frown:
Original post by AnimeFreak101
Thank you so much!!! I'm midway through my mocks no (yay!) and I'll incorporate this after the mocks and BTW Student232 mygcsescience blocked his part 2 and 3 videos :frown:

Yeah I found out yesterday :s-smilie: he is making u pay now which is so annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student232
Yeah I found out yesterday :s-smilie: he is making u pay now which is so annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly!!!!! It's not fair he could have just waited for 1 more year! Seriously! D'X :unimpressed:
Reply 8
If you can't get hold of the Mathswatch DVD, then I recommend you visit www.mathswatch.net where you can subscribe for £9.90 per year to GCSE Maths (Foundation & Higher Tier)

Guys I'm looking to getting at least 6 A*'s at GCSEs which start in about 5 months! Can you believe?

I want to get A*'s or rather I NEED to get A*s in these subjects to go to the Sixth Form of my choice. I am predicted A*'s to B ( thank goodness for that!)

Maths ( I'm a B at the moment I just need to use mathswatch and I've got this one in the bag)

English Language and Literature ( This is so freaking annoying because I get A*'s in all my course work - almost I got a B in descriptive writing but can u blame me? I hated it so much -_-. I think I got an E in the mocks for English language though cause I'm too calculative and well I take a LOT of time to answer questions so I need help on this)

History ( now I really need a lot of help on this one I'm doing WJEC exam board. i don't know how to answer the questions fully and the fricking exam board changed the exam paper style so now I've got no clue what's going to come up so I'm pretty much screwed)

Triple Science (God help me! I want to be a Doctor but this dream is just going down hill. My teacher, even though he studied at Oxford is just... I literally just can't )

Computing (Haha! This one I KNOW i'm going to fail for sure and i'm not alone everyone in my class are just getting D's -if we're lucky-)

So yeah, If you actually took time to read that well-done and thanks now. The bottom line is:
- How do you revise

- How do you revise

Think 'My future is balancing on these grades' sit down, and revise until you collapse. I recommend about 3 hours every night. When you feel like you are slipping into madness, remind yourself of what it will be like in the long run, play some imaginary inspirational music, and carry on! Haha just jokin about - bit I do recommend about 3 hours revision every night - sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks :smile: I really think having a mind set like 'My future is balancing on those grades' will help a lot. I just woke up now and I was was gonna read manga but after this I feel motivated to work. Thanks so much for the motivation. I'm my own enemy so this really helped :yep:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks :smile: I really think having a mind set like 'My future is balancing on those grades' will help a lot. I just woke up now and I was was gonna read manga but after this I feel motivated to work. Thanks so much for the motivation. I'm my own enemy so this really helped :yep:

Sorry if I'm wrong, but are you being sarcastic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha XD does it sound that way?
[ Well I am a really sarcastic person usually] but not this time ^^p
Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha XD does it sound that way?
[ Well I am a really sarcastic person usually] but not this time ^^p

Oh ok good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest