The Student Room Group

Harvard referencing question

We have an essay to submit, but just wanted to double check how I do in text references.....

Is it (surname year) or (first name year) ?
Also how do you do intext referencing for websites ? For example I have used pages from the NHS, so would it be (NHS year) ?

And for the collection of referencing at the end, do I use;
( 1st name surname, initials ect....) or is it ( 1st name, initial of second name ect....)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by T-GiuR
Is it (surname year)

Yes.

Also how do you do intext referencing for websites ? For example I have used pages from the NHS, so would it be (NHS year) ?

Yes, unless the web page lists a specific author, in which case you'd be back to (surname year).

And for the collection of referencing at the end, do I use;
( 1st name surname, initials ect....) or is it ( 1st name, initial of second name ect....)

By my current uni's Harvard format, it would be:

Author surname, Author Initial or Initials., Year.... Etc

So for a book by John S. Bloggs published in 2013, this gives you

Bloggs, J.S., 2013....

I've always used variations of Harvard and they have always used authors' initials only and never their full first name.
Original post by Klix88
Yes.

Yes, unless the web page lists a specific author, in which case you'd be back to (surname year).

By my current uni's Harvard format, it would be:

Author surname, Author Initial or Initials., Year.... Etc

So for a book by John S. Bloggs published in 2013, this gives you

Bloggs, J.S., 2013....

I've always used variations of Harvard and they have always used authors' initials only and never their full first name.

Okay, thanks
You do understand that if you have Word, it will do it all for you....
Original post by Jay018
You do understand that if you have Word, it will do it all for you....
do explain please
Original post by T-GiuR
do explain please

Go to the reference tab

then click on Style (it is automatically set to APA) choose Harvard Anglia.

Then go to the Inset citation bit.

A dialogue box will appear with a drop down box at the top- Use this to fine the type of source you want to reference. (NOTE: some selections are named differently to what you would think, but it is easy to figure out what is needed.) (The name should automatically sort itself out, if not, manually do it in the way it should be.)

Fill in the boxes that are relevant (Use corporate Publisher when no name of person has been given: E.g The British Heart Foundation.)

Go to the Bibliography tab and choose the reference list selection.

When you are needing to put a citation in, use the same 'Insert Citation' box and choose from the list and it will then insert what is needed.

When needing to add a bibliography, click on the bibliography again and choose the Bibliography.

Hope this helps, if you need more help, I'll try and help. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jay018
Go to the reference tab

then click on Style (it is automatically set to APA) choose Harvard Anglia.

Then go to the Inset citation bit.

A dialogue box will appear with a drop down box at the top- Use this to fine the type of source you want to reference. (NOTE: some selections are named differently to what you would think, but it is easy to figure out what is needed.) (The name should automatically sort itself out, if not, manually do it in the way it should be.)

Fill in the boxes that are relevant (Use corporate Publisher when no name of person has been given: E.g The British Heart Foundation.)

Go to the Bibliography tab and choose the reference list selection.

When you are needing to put a citation in, use the same 'Insert Citation' box and choose from the list and it will then insert what is needed.

When needing to add a bibliography, click on the bibliography again and choose the Bibliography.

Hope this helps, if you need more help, I'll try and help. :smile:

Thanks
Original post by T-GiuR
Thanks

No worries, should have said that, this is the order for word 2013, hopefully it'll be similar to older versions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending