The Student Room Group

Woman said she was asked to cover up while breastfeeding her baby at Claridges.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sulpha
OH WOW LOOK I CAN USE CAPITAL LETTERS TOO.

At the end of the day, it's not my problem if someone has kids. I don't want to see a pair of sagging tits being sucked on by a baby.

Breast feed by all means, but keep it out of my sight out of respect.

Who says you have to look, no one is making you? So if you don't like it avert your eyes, it's not hard is it.
Original post by #Ridwan
The 2010 Equality Act is an abomination and the ridiculous breastfeeding clause is proof of this.

Feminists say it's "natural". Well so is defecating, but I don't see a campaign for that to be allowed in public.

My opinion on this, in all seriousness, is that women should have the right to breastfeed in public but that private property rights trump this, so a restaurant should be allowed to tell a woman to stop breastfeeding if they so wish.

How on earth do property rights trump a child's right to being fed??

If a place away from everyone else is available, I don't understand why someone would want to breastfeed in front of everyone. I also don't think there's an issue with preferring women to be discreet when breastfeeding, if they're going to choose to do so publicly but what you're saying is absurd.
Original post by Sulpha
Even simpler, just a plastic bag and a bin ?

Make it perfectly legal to to take a dump but a £1000 fine if you're caught not picking it up. Just like dog fouling.

Oh and I did try, I really did, but I just could not find anywhere within me to remotely give two craps about anything you say.

Evidently you feel so strongly about it that you keep making troll posts in this thread. What about wiping? Would people carry TP around with them or would the state provide them with it in selected areas? (like free wifi!) Maybe we could even name those areas BATHROOMS and dispose the waste products efficiently via things called SEWERS (wow, the possibilities are endless)

When you make extra-ordinary claims, eg that breastfeeding is somehow equally unsightly to taking a dump, you should be prepared to back them up with extra-ordinary evidence. Saying "I dgaf" is not really an option if you want your opinion to be taken seriously.

And for the record, I'm for women doing this in the bathroom or in a corner and not in the middle of restaurants while people are eating. However, if the above places are not available, then a mother should not be crucified for feeding her baby!
Original post by Sulpha
Yeah, that's not the way it works.

If that was the way it worked then everyone would be walking around naked.

If you see someone picking their nose in public you don't watch you, look away
Reply 44
Original post by R Dragon
Who cares, just cover up or feed your baby at another time

I agree with this. If you aren't happy about it, just leave. It's not like a public place like a hospital, so you aren't forced to be there.
Original post by interact
How on earth do property rights trump a child's right to being fed??

If a place away from everyone else is available, I don't understand why someone would want to breastfeed in front of everyone. I also don't think there's an issue with preferring women to be discreet when breastfeeding, if they're going to choose to do so publicly but what you're saying is absurd.

They don't. Nothing is stopping the child from being breastfed, but if a property owner doesn't want breastfeeding on their premises then the mother should just go somewhere else.
Original post by barnetlad
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30298382

I wasn't intending to go to Claridges anyway. I would not want to go to any cafe or restaurant or any other venue with such an attitude. It saddens me that there even has to be a law effectively to say it is a right to breastfeed in public.

She's not in public is she, she's in Claridges.

And really, who gives a ****?
(edited 9 years ago)
Anybody who can't accept that in such a situation one could simply just cover up with minimal effort is a drama seeker. Why this is even an issue I don't know. Baby still gets fed and the woman doesn't have to get up and move anywhere. Why are such women fighting for the right not to show discretion?
I agree with the establishment's right to dictate how their patron's present themselves.

No tracksuits
No trainers
No tits

In a public space however, knock yourself out.
I'm quite certain a guy sitting topless in Claridges would also be asked to cover up.

It's a bit prudish but not sexist.
Do you know what a lot of people find a lot more annoying than seeing a woman breastfeeding? A screaming baby that's hungry. I know which I'd rather have to endure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending