The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Original post by Jaska
I think you should remove this post...

What did Exeter do?

Did u not just read django post?
Works in favour of Plymouth applicants too...
Original post by Ahwab

Exeter are allowed to conduct the interview however which way they want, so it's just fortunate people with Plymouth interviews would have been more prepared.
Reply 1122
Original post by Jaska
Exeter are allowed to conduct the interview however which way they want, so it's just fortunate people with Plymouth interviews would have been more prepared.

Tell me something I don't know
Original post by Jaska
I think you should remove this post...

What did Exeter do?

Oooh yeah fair point sorry! It was so stupid though?! They just shouldn't let things like that happen :/
Original post by Ahwab
Tell me something I don't know

Chances are, you wont be affected at all as not many people would have applied to both Exeter and Plymouth, and even fewer people would have gotten both interviews :smile:
Original post by Ahwab

What post?!
Reply 1126
This is embarrassing by exeter, I'm just waiting for my rejection before we have a full law suit going :excited: :sneakydevil:
Reply 1127
Original post by Dr. Django
NB: I did not apply to Plymouth

From speaking to people who had interviews at both today, I believe that they don't have any major advantage over Exeter-Only interviewees. The structure of the interviews may have been similar, which is perhaps reassuring to them, but ultimately everyone is made aware of the structure of the interviews in the briefing.

Furthermore, the actual content of the interviews was apparently different so I can't see any real advantage they'd have apart from maybe just feeling a little more confident as they've been through a similar process.

I know you guys are gutted as you think you've all been rejected, however, it is likely there will be 50 more interviews in February, so you guys may end up going to Exeter still!

The two complaints people have are:

1.) Predicted grades being treated equally to achieved.

Even though this benefits me, I admit it's perhaps unfair. However, this has been openly stated at open days/websites etc so we knew that when we applied!

2.) The Plymouth and Exeter interviews are "exactly the same"

They aren't. The structure may be similar but the content of the interviews are different. The majority of unis have relatively similar interview processes (ie predictable questions), so again people need to chill!!

I feel for you guys, I really do, but just wait till February, see what happens and just focus on the other 3 med schools you've applied to! Good luck

:eek: you didnt apply to Plymouth, I must be hallucinating I swear I can remember you on the thread, it must have been Dr Grin
Earlier on in this post, someone said that scenarios are similar, same interview structure with the questionnaire etc.

There are more flops to that list.
I contacted exeter before applying where they made clear to me that they operate a cut off system with their UKCAT for the selection process aswell as them taking into consideration predicted grades which are weighed evenly with achieved. I was told in this email that my predicted grades were at the top end of the requirement so they were perfectly fine. The only thing left was my UKCAT which they couldnt really tell me whether it would make the cut off. This confirmed my reason to applying to them

http://gyazo.com/e42732e727799f782b1cb059f744ae35

This email basically says you are fully eligable for an interview the only thing remaining is how your ukcat fits into the cut off system and then they throw this curve ball. Thats why Im annoyed & I love exeter and they do this. I feel like Ive been lied too.

Yeah thanks for the advise though I guess all we can do is just wait.
Original post by Hudl
:eek: you didnt apply to Plymouth, I must be hallucinating I swear I can remember you on the thread, it must have been Dr Grin
Earlier on in this post, someone said that scenarios are similar, same interview structure with the questionnaire etc.

There are more flops to that list.
I contacted exeter before applying where they made clear to me that they operate a cut off system with their UKCAT for the selection process aswell as them taking into consideration predicted grades which are weighed evenly with achieved. I was told in this email that my predicted grades were at the top end of the requirement so they were perfectly fine. The only thing left was my UKCAT which they couldnt really tell me whether it would make the cut off. This confirmed my reason to applying to them

http://gyazo.com/e42732e727799f782b1cb059f744ae35

This email basically says you are fully eligable for an interview the only thing remaining is how your ukcat fits into the cut off system and then they throw this curve ball. Thats why Im annoyed & I love exeter and they do this. I feel like Ive been lied too.

Yeah thanks for the advise though I guess all we can do is just wait.

Wait, did you get a interview or not? o.O
Reply 1129
Original post by Jaska
Wait, did you get a interview or not? o.O

No I didn't get one
GAMSAT 68... No interview... Confused. My personal statement was certainly "written in a certain style" as quoted by the Admissions team when I contacted them before I applied. Very confused as to what hidden thresholds there are.
[QUOTE="Ahwab;52178113"]
Original post by cwi111
I had my interview today and it's amazing how erm *identical* Exter's interview process is to Plymouth

That's so unfair!!
Now you've told everyone, more ppl know what to prepare for!:angry:

What on earth are Exeter playing at this year?

I'm confused as to why this is a surprise to anyone.
Up until a couple of years ago they were the same med school; it seems likely that their interview process will remain the same unless one school decides that it's not getting the right kind of med students out of the process and, from my research, quite the opposite is true…
Everyone is able to research the interview format well in advance and ensure that they are happy with it before they apply: Exeter haven't tried to keep it a secret. Of course it is slightly advantageous to go into an Exeter interview already comfortable with the interview format having 'practiced' :s-smilie: at an interview at Plymouth (or vice versa if they change their dates next year). However applying to both is potentially very risky as, whilst you may score a double interview, you may get a double rejection without interview given that your application will potentially be processed in a very similar way at each school.
Reply 1132
Original post by MiloMilo
GAMSAT 68... No interview... Confused. My personal statement was certainly "written in a certain style" as quoted by the Admissions team when I contacted them before I applied. Very confused as to what hidden thresholds there are.

Hmm, agreed, that sounds a little odd, as your score is definitely within the cut off. Do you know that all grad interviews have been given out? Could be worth calling them to ask...
Reply 1133
[QUOTE="Gin;52186065" Dr="Dr"]
Original post by Ahwab

I'm confused as to why this is a surprise to anyone.
Up until a couple of years ago they were the same med school; it seems likely that their interview process will remain the same unless one school decides that it's not getting the right kind of med students out of the process and, from my research, quite the opposite is true…
Everyone is able to research the interview format well in advance and ensure that they are happy with it before they apply: Exeter haven't tried to keep it a secret. Of course it is slightly advantageous to go into an Exeter interview already comfortable with the interview format having 'practiced' :s-smilie: at an interview at Plymouth (or vice versa if they change their dates next year). However applying to both is potentially very risky as, whilst you may score a double interview, you may get a double rejection without interview given that your application will potentially be processed in a very similar way at each school.

So you don't think its a surprise if the same questions were asked? Of course it is easy to hindsight:rolleyes:
I assume you applied to both
(edited 9 years ago)
[QUOTE="Django;52187567" Dr.="Dr."]
Original post by Ahwab

I didn't apply to both, but from talking to Plymouth applicants yesterday I agree that the only real 'advantage' is the fact that they will be more comfortable as it's a similar format to an interview they've done previously!

You'll have to get an interview (which I hope you do), to understand completely what I mean, but basically I believe that it's not really any more advantageous than having already experienced an MMI compared to a first timer. If the content of interviews were the same I'd agree with you, but they aren't, so we can't complain!

As someone who is 'competing' against these people, I wouldn't say it's unfair. If I get rejected it's on me.

(I meant to quote Ahwaz :s-smilie:)

You didn't have a Plymouth interview so how could you possibly know if the content was the same or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Jaska;52188327"]

You didn't have a Plymouth interview so how could you possibly know if the content was the same or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would suggest that we thrash this discussion out after everyone has actually done their interviews...
Reply 1136
[QUOTE="Jaska;52188327"]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ditto

CWI confirmed some content was identical
Rightfully so he took down the post so you probz didn't see it
[QUOTE="Ahwab;52188477"]
Original post by Jaska

Ditto

CWI confirmed some content was identical
Rightfully so he took down the post so you probz didn't see it

Mate everyone can see what he said cause you quoted him :tongue:

We should reconvene this conversation in March, good luck till then :smile:
Original post by JNHE
Hmm, agreed, that sounds a little odd, as your score is definitely within the cut off. Do you know that all grad interviews have been given out? Could be worth calling them to ask...

It would appear everyone who is a graduate on this thread got an interview except for me.. And I think you all found out on Wednesday? Still nothing at half 2 on Friday afternoon does not bode well. Those interviews were for the 15th... which Exeter have said is their last day of interviewing...

I have other interviews.. but I am still bitterly disappointed. Really liked Exeter (like a lot of undergraduates on this thread who are equally disappointed and confused by the admissions process there).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1139
I don't have the patience to go through 58 pages to find it aha but was was the cut off for 2015 entry to Exeter? Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending