The Student Room Group

They are really cracking down on torrenting

Mod Note: do not share tips on how to access torrents or similar

Has anyone noticed how loads of these websites don't work anymore.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yeah sad times back onto Netflix for a while
Not really. The only people suffering are those who have little tech knowledge. I've been downloading as normal. The Pirate Bay goes down so I'll just go elsewhere.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Genocidal
Not really. The only people suffering are those who have little tech knowledge. I've been downloading as normal. The Pirate Bay goes down so I'll just go elsewhere.

No one can sink the ship. :titan:
(edited 9 years ago)

And what about prosecution for piracy?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by William Pitt
And what about prosecution for piracy?

Same as ever before. Just look at the numbers for the popular torrents on these sites. You can't prosecute them all. It's too big and it's not really in the public interest to waste the money on trying to prosecute them all.

The prosecutions are made against the site's owners and the uploaders, mainly. Your average downloader is 99.9% safe. Sometimes they make an example of someone to make a point, but that's about it.

But the bigger sites and serial uploaders tend to be based abroad, so there's nothing the authorities can do.
Same as ever before. Just look at the numbers for the popular torrents on these sites. You can't prosecute them all. It's too big and it's not really in the public interest to waste the money on trying to prosecute them all.

The prosecutions are made against the site's owners and the uploaders, mainly. Your average downloader is 99.9% safe. Sometimes they make an example of someone to make a point, but that's about it.

But the bigger sites and serial uploaders tend to be based abroad, so there's nothing the authorities can do.

All pirates say this but life of a pirate is full of hazards and criminal tango. Recently I've been so paranoid about copyright / intellectual property stuff that I'm afraid of using photos people upload on social media websites or those I find via google.

All of this internet restrictions, internet providers keeping all our data in line with government regulation, spying on our internet usage makes me paranoid. There's nothing we can do anymore; like this other guy the other day went to prison - was convicted and jailed - for 'trolling' - yes it was literally for trolling, as was said in court, involving insults and 'threat'.

This is all just getting ridiculous. How do you live being a pirate in the light of all of this?
All pirates say this but life of a pirate is full of hazards and criminal tango. Recently I've been so paranoid about copyright / intellectual property stuff that I'm afraid of using photos people upload on social media websites or those I find via google.

All of this internet restrictions, internet providers keeping all our data in line with government regulation, spying on our internet usage makes me paranoid. There's nothing we can do anymore; like this other guy the other day went to prison - was convicted and jailed - for 'trolling' - yes it was literally for trolling, as was said in court, involving insults and 'threat'.

This is all just getting ridiculous. How do you live being a pirate in the light of all of this?

Trolls are idiots because they tend to abuse people under their real names, with real pictures, through sites where they can be easily tracked. The idiots are usually the ones who get caught.

But meh I'm pretty meh about it all. If it happens it happens.
Reply 8
Sky tried to **** me over.

They didn't succeed.
(edited 9 years ago)
sky is trying to block a lot of sites for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gonnagetrejected
sky is trying to block a lot of sites for me.

I use Sky. If they start i'll just cancel my service. Not in their interest.
(edited 9 years ago)

Looks like we've got a bad ass in here.

Yeah they're shutting down a lot of sites annoyingly. My uni has blocked torrenting completely on its Internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Gofre, I find your mod note offensive, torrenting itself isn't necessarily illegal, the legality is defined by what's being torrented, not the fact that you are torrenting, so I can only assume that you assume that the only torrenting people care about is of illegal content.

As for the Sky comments, well that's just government censorship of the internet in the name of the law. It's not just sky, it's all the major ISPs

and as for prosecution for piracy, the consumer is very rarely prosecuted [anywhere], it's mostly the distributor that is done and simply because it's easier. It may be incorrect, but I read a while back that in the UK you basically just keep getting emails asking you to stop pirating but nothing more.
One site goes down, another comes up. In reality, blocking out certain sites will only stop a few people and fragment the distribution of traffic to pirate sites, making it harder to control the rest of the population. Quite amusing really.

Original post by Jammy Duel
Gofre, I find your mod note offensive, torrenting itself isn't necessarily illegal, the legality is defined by what's being torrented, not the fact that you are torrenting, so I can only assume that you assume that the only torrenting people care about is of illegal content.

In the context of this thread, I think it's a fair point to make.
Original post by mikeyd85
One site goes down, another comes up. In reality, blocking out certain sites will only stop a few people and fragment the distribution of traffic to pirate sites, making it harder to control the rest of the population. Quite amusing really.

In the context of this thread, I think it's a fair point to make.
yeah but if they start dishing out fines for it then it will work
Original post by Jammy Duel

I'm well aware of the legal applications of torrenting and that it is commonly used for these purposes. However the Tech forum's rules explicitly rule out any sort of encouraging, facilitating or assisting with file sharing of this sort, while discussions on things like the ethics and legality are fine. This rule comes from the site's owners and was in place long before I started moderating, and given that these threads inevitably end up with links or tips being shared (it took a grand total of two posts for it to start in this one) it has to be strictly enforced.
Just so you know, I remember reading about 6 months ago that instead of forcing ISPs to crack down on their users, they simply made it so that ISPs have to send letters to excessive pirating users which describes the reasons why pirating is wrong. Otherwise, it's down to the ISPs to decide whether or not they'll chase you up and I think they've all pretty much realised how futile it is. They've been resisting most of the anti-piracy stuff the government has been trying to push through, although maybe that's because it takes control away from them a bit.

Personally, I think it is all rather worrying the way things are going. Tim Berners-Lee has launched that web index report which describes how the levels of censorship and surveillance from governments on the web are on the up. Things like anti-piracy legislation will DEFINITELY create backdoor ways for governments to censor and survey even more. It should be resisted.
Original post by 4592002
Mod Note: do not share tips on how to access torrents or similar

Has anyone noticed how loads of these websites don't work anymore.

Since coming to university I've not bothered with a TV and simply streamed. They are doing better at taking down these sites but there are so many that it's never kept me from streaming for even a full day.

Google can filter image search results by licence type :yep: This will probably help you there. Just do your image search, click on search tools, then usage rights.
Original post by mikeyd85
Google can filter image search results by licence type :yep: This will probably help you there. Just do your image search, click on search tools, then usage rights.

I'm not sure it's that easy; I mean does it actually reflect the legal status of a particular image? I've seen newspapers and the worldpress just literally photographing people as they photographed objects/buildings/events without calculating the cost of their identity and just spreading it throughout web. They were never prosecuted... rarely had to remove any of their images.

Yet at the same time, one could be so unlucky to use someone's drawing. There was this Polish girl who painted a Red Army soldier piercing through the heart of Christ with a rifle bayonet and everyone anti-Christian fell in love with this image but it violated her copyrights etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending