The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
Warwick is easily a top 8 UK university, and usually the most respected by Investment banks and firms of similar ilk outside the top 5. I never even applied to Warwick, but anyone who slags it off doesn't have a clue.

Although I study at LSE, I agree with Hollywood Hogan that Warwick is an outstanding university.
Woxbridgeperial.
Original post by Marshall Taylor
I actually went to a Bristol open day showing, and I thought the place was dreadful in terms of accommodation and area. Their entry requirements are hithered to absurdity and beyond! Bristol is definitely not in my top 10.

Did you attend the ex-poly or something? Bristol uni is easily a UK top 10.
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Durham
Bristol
Edinburgh
Nottingham
Warwick

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Morrisseya
Obviously it varies by subject. But, in your opinion, what are the top 10 universities in the UK, overall? (Re: prestige/job prospects/everything).

I love how most people on here will make an opinion on universities mainly based on:

a) The opinions of others (with no regards to their sources)

b) Uni league rankings (with no regards to their sources)

c) University websites (with no regards to the actual content in the websites)

:rolleyes:
Original post by Audi
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Durham
Bristol
Edinburgh
Nottingham
Warwick

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is my top 10 too, but I wouldn't have the same order. Warwick is better than Durham. Nottingham would be bottom, then Durham.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Just... The place, the way it is, the people

Cheers mate :rolleyes:

We're not all pricks..
Original post by Birkenhead
The course, the nebulous position it was seen to hold by some employers of the profession I want to enter, its location, 1.its aesthetic standards, its living environment, how work was assessed and 2.how many students achieved a 1st. 3.Unistats was extremely useful in getting objective information specific to the course.

1. Aesthetics are subjective. There is no such thing as a subjective standard.

2. Again subjective. How many students get a 1st depend on how hard the students work AND how hard/easy is the examination/coursework.

3. Objective does not mean reliable or internally/externally valid. What do you know where UniStats gets its data from? Have you assessed how reliable this source is? Or how internally valid it is? Let me give you an example, certain university is aware of the relevance of the UniStats data source and has run a campaign encouraging students to send their data to this source (presumably saying good things about the university). Knowing that most unis will most likely won't do that, how does it affect the reliability of the data sent to UniStats data source? I cringe when people pander data as the ultimate source of truth. Data is worth nothing unless you aware of its reliability and validity.

Sorry for the rant. :redface:
In my opinion:

Domestic impact -
Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, UCL, King's, Imperial, Warwick, St Andrews, Edinburgh, LSE

International impact -
Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, King's, Imperial, Warwick, Edinburgh, Manchester, LSE, Glasgow
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Warwick over Cambridge? Warwick is good but no way is it in the Top 5. More like 10-15. It's hardly known outside the UK.

Warwick is very known outside the UK. Not as a prestigious university, but it is known because lots of internationals go there.
Original post by clh_hilary
Warwick is very known outside the UK. Not as a prestigious university, but it is known because lots of internationals go there.

Possibly, but still no where near as recognised as the G5. That was the point I was making, although Warwick is very good, it isn't on the same level as Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial and UCL.
That is my top 10 too, but I wouldn't have the same order. Warwick is better than Durham. Nottingham would be bottom, then Durham.

I'd argue that across all fields, Durham is better. Warwick has some truly exceptional courses but equally it has some quite opposite from what I gather :/
Original post by Audi
I'd argue that across all fields, Durham is better. Warwick has some truly exceptional courses but equally it has some quite opposite from what I gather :/

The top 100 graduate employers and City firms prefer Warwick. Durham's rise in the league tables and grade inflation has only been recent, and has largely fallen on deaf ears by employers.
Original post by Phteven
Cheers mate :rolleyes:

We're not all pricks..

so you think the majority are? :tongue:
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Possibly, but still no where near as recognised as the G5. That was the point I was making, although Warwick is very good, it isn't on the same level as Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial and UCL.

I agree, it isn't. It's very new though so still very impressive.
Original post by daalchaval
KCL 100% in the top 10. Ranked 16 in the world in the recent QS world rankings. No idea why the domestic rankings always puts it in the 20s range.

Happy to hear you think this :smile: I am a KCLer

I feel our teachers are really wonderful and our research is excellent. But student satisfaction is what brings us down on domestic rankings. Its very frustrating for our lecturers, there is a lot of stupid bureaucracy in the uni big wigs and the essay feedback scheduling is very sloooowwww.

But besides that, I really love King's :colondollar:
Original post by LadyMede
Happy to hear you think this :smile: I am a KCLer

I feel our teachers are really wonderful and our research is excellent. But student satisfaction is what brings us down on domestic rankings. Its very frustrating for our lecturers, there is a lot of stupid bureaucracy in the uni big wigs and the essay feedback scheduling is very sloooowwww.

But besides that, I really love King's :colondollar:

KCL indeed is a good bet for the top 10 based on international standing, but the top graduate employers don't see it that way. Most people still regard it as a top 20 university.
KCL indeed is a good bet for the top 10 based on international standing, but the top graduate employers don't see it that way. Most people still regard it as a top 20 university.

I'm suprised to hear that. We got 'Best University for gradute employment 2012-2013 and are currently on the top 5 for grad employment in the complete university guide 2014 :smile:
Original post by LadyMede
I'm suprised to hear that. We got 'Best University for gradute employment 2012-2013 and are currently on the top 5 for grad employment in the complete university guide 2014 :smile:

The top 100 graduate employers targeted Nottingham, Manchester, Cambridge, Oxford the most last year.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport14.pdf page 31.

The ten universities most-often targeted by Britain’s top graduate employers
in 2013-2014 are Nottingham, Manchester, Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol, Bath,
Warwick, Leeds, Imperial College London, and University College London.
(edited 9 years ago)
The top 100 graduate employers targeted Nottingham, Manchester, Warwick, Cambridge, Oxford the most last year.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport14.pdf page 31.

The ten universities most-often targeted by Britain’s top graduate employers
in 2013-2014 are Nottingham, Manchester, Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol, Bath,
Warwick, Leeds, Imperial College London, and University College London.

I guess it depends what ranking your looking at 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending