The Student Room Group

Application Predicament

So, like many of us here applying for medicine, I have been lucky enough to receive interviews and also an offer to study biomedical sciences, essentially my insurance choice.

This choice is at AAB, and so, if I didn't get an offer to study medicine, or even get the 3A minimum which many universities require, I could fall back on this, right?

If everything goes well, I would love to firm a 3A offer to study medicine at one of the places I have been interviewed at, and place the already received biomedical offer as insurance, obviously.

However, what happens if I don't get any medical offers? I still have the insurance. But I want to study medicine, and I don't mind taking a gap year and reapplying next year. That would be cheaper than taking the degree too.

If I get 3As or more on results day with no medical offers, I will take a gap year. But if I flake in the exam or whatever, I don't want to reapply with AAB, especially with my offer already 'in the bag'.

How does this work? Help anyone!
Original post by BaeBlade
So, like many of us here applying for medicine, I have been lucky enough to receive interviews and also an offer to study biomedical sciences, essentially my insurance choice.

This choice is at AAB, and so, if I didn't get an offer to study medicine, or even get the 3A minimum which many universities require, I could fall back on this, right?

If everything goes well, I would love to firm a 3A offer to study medicine at one of the places I have been interviewed at, and place the already received biomedical offer as insurance, obviously.

However, what happens if I don't get any medical offers? I still have the insurance. But I want to study medicine, and I don't mind taking a gap year and reapplying next year. That would be cheaper than taking the degree too.

If I get 3As or more on results day with no medical offers, I will take a gap year. But if I flake in the exam or whatever, I don't want to reapply with AAB, especially with my offer already 'in the bag'.

How does this work? Help anyone!

You can either:

1) accept the insurance and then pull out if you do end up getting AAB - I didn't get a medicine offer last year so firmed my backup and then sent them an email to withdraw a few days after results day. They don't have to allow you to withdraw but they will 99% of the time

2) reject the offer now and if you end up missing the grades apply through clearing. There will undoubtedly be places for biomed in clearing but obviously some places won't enter clearing - it may be worth looking if the course went into clearing last year to give you an idea.

I personally would insure it and just withdraw if needs be as option 2 is more of a gamble.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by skittlesaremydrugs
You can either:

1) accept the insurance and then pull out if you do end up getting AAB - I didn't get a medicine offer last year so firmed my backup and then sent them an email to withdraw a few days after results day. They don't have to allow you to withdraw but they will 99% of the time

2) reject the offer now and if you end up missing the grades apply through clearing. There will undoubtedly be places for biomed in clearing but obviously some places won't enter clearing - it may be worth looking if the course went into clearing last year to give you an idea.

I personally would insure it and just withdraw if needs be as option 2 is more of a gamble.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much, I was wondering if was to insure it I was tied into it 'for life'. Cheers man!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending