The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've just been invited for interview at Robinson! I'm pleased because so many people applied to Downing for engineering. Has anyone had an interview at Robinson for engineering before? What was it like?

And does anyone know what my chances are like now i've been invited to interview again??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1041
Original post by Renee8100
Just got called for interview at another college... :argh: really did not want this to happen :frown:

I know this is a long shot but does anyone know if I've now been removed from the pool or can I be called for interview at another college? Or am I still in the pool and could hypothetically get an offer for another college on Saturday? (Unlikely but I don't know desperate right now).
If you were going to be called for interview by another college, that would have happened today (on previous form). It is definitely that case that no college will make you a direct offer now, as the decision to call you back for interview has been made. Which colleges and course are you applying for?
(edited 9 years ago)
Is it a good thing I haven't been called for reinterview, haha? I'm struggling to decide whether it is more comforting knowing I haven't...
Original post by dancinginglitter
Aha yeah that must be useful... I have been told that we are the first siblings in the history of our school (it is VERY old) to apply to oxbridge at the same time haha... the pressure!

Aww well good luck for Saturday!!:smile:
Original post by DomStaff
Is it a good thing I haven't been called for reinterview, haha? I'm struggling to decide whether it is more comforting knowing I haven't...

LOL me too...I guess it's good if you love the college you applied to, at least we still have the chance to go there :smile:
I don't actually know.
Original post by Rainybird
I've just been invited for interview at Robinson! I'm pleased because so many people applied to Downing for engineering. Has anyone had an interview at Robinson for engineering before? What was it like?

And does anyone know what my chances are like now i've been invited to interview again??

Posted from TSR Mobile

What time did they call you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RainbowVeins
LOL me too...I guess it's good if you love the college you applied to, at least we still have the chance to go there :smile:
I don't actually know.

I suppose! Unless we've been fished out the pool and shipped to Girton...
Why would they post letters on a Friday!! It doesn't guarantee next day on a Saturday, which means it may not come until Monday
Ah well, I don't see why I care when my rejection letter comes...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlphaAlchemist
Aren't we ranked by UMS anyway? Then GCSEs, then interview score. They can't rank us on test score (since not all have sat one). The tests probably won't have an impact when comparing two candidates where one has sat a test and the other hasn't, but may have a small impact when comparing two candidates where both have sat a test. Also, I don't have source for this but I'm pretty sure that's the case since on the website they try to promote fairness with applications to different colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay.

Also, pooling is over now, so if you've been called to reinterview, that's your last chance there.
Reply 1049
Original post by Jessb_3125
St. Catz

I've applied to Catz too! Do you know if your friend was emailed or called about his interview?
Reply 1050
Original post by Oneyearon
As I mentioned I followed the thread for a long time last year and when it came to the pool, it all came down to UMS scores with regard to auto pooling and success with other colleges. I am not talking about the interview procedure. I understand that questions are asked to stretch an applicant to see how he/she reacts and I managed to deal with these, but I think it was unfair to ask questions on topics which had not yet been covered by the French system. A little more attention to such details would demonstrate a better understanding of different systems and the sequence in which subjects are taught.
Again, we don't know that. As no-one knows whether they were auto-pooled or not, we can't say whether those who were stood a better chance.

As you say, from the statistics, and from your own knowledge we will never know to what extent candidates chances are reduced by not having some solid exams behind them to demonstrate their ability. This is the point I was making, I am not suggesting that the exam system itself can jeopordize one's chances, rather that the lack of exam results (ie UMS scores) CAN!! And some people seemed to have grasped this. I am not talking about my own situation with regard to re applying as I actually finished up talking a course which has turned out to be excellent, I am advising anybody who comes from a similar situation and gets rejected that their chances may be increased if they reapply once they have some exam results to demonstrate their capabilities. Voilà!! :smile:
And I don't disagree with you - but I am making the point that there are many other factors at play here, and good - even great - grades won't make up for not shining at interview, so it's important to act on any feedback in this respect.

I'm glad that your course has worked out so well for you - a good message for everyone who is disappointed by the outcome of their application!
Original post by Elcor
I think you're out of the pool now. But don't lost hope! You now have a half chance of going to Cambridge, much higher than those which don't get the chance to be reinterviewed.

What course was it and what college have you been pooled from and to?

I guess that is kind of comforting.

HSPS at St Catharine's, pooled to Selwyn.
Original post by DomStaff
I suppose! Unless we've been fished out the pool and shipped to Girton...

Wouldn't mind that either tbh :colone:
Original post by eglande
Why would they post letters on a Friday!! It doesn't guarantee next day on a Saturday, which means it may not come until Monday
Ah well, I don't see why I care when my rejection letter comes...

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is NO WAY you would get rejected, I remember seeing your stats somewhere and they are mental :tongue:
Reply 1054
Original post by Renee8100
I guess that is kind of comforting.

HSPS at St Catharine's, pooled to Selwyn.

I've been pooled to Selwyn too! When are your interviews?
I'm guessing colleges can inform you tomorrow if they want to re interview you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1056
Original post by lululemons
My interviews were horrendous, but if an applicant were to receive a pool offer, would the envelope/email be from the new or original college?

Original post by elaras
PRETTY SURE it would be from the original college saying 'we did not give you an offer but x college did' - and then maybe something else from the other college ?
This thread has the information you need.
(edited 9 years ago)
Did any applicants for History at Selwyn have any idea what the extract was getting at?
Original post by sr-96
I've been pooled to Selwyn too! When are your interviews?

Ah that's cool! The 13th, don't know what time yet.
Original post by Edac
I've applied to Catz too! Do you know if your friend was emailed or called about his interview?

He was called we were sitting in the common room, he thought it was a cold call but I said that it might be Cambridge and it turned out it was! Robinson

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending