The Student Room Group

Why did the Paris attacks get more coverage than the Peshawar school massacre?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by zedeneye1
two people you don't know. one far from you, one close to you. which one would you care about more?

Neither because I don't know them.
Original post by Dexa
Neither because I don't know them.

which one are you more likely to care about ?
Original post by Dexa
Why is that when a terrorist group slaughters more than 100 children at a school, it gets one or two days of media coverage, perhaps 1 thread on TSR, and hardly any mention of it being an Islamic attack on Islamic people?

Yet the minute the Paris attacks happen....boom! camera's everywhere, 24/7 media coverage, multiple "popular" discussion threads on TSR, people calling it Paris' 9/11, then the whole world suddenly considers their position on Islam?

I just don't understand it. I'm not trying to quantify the differences in mortalities, but why did those 132 children deserve less global attention than those who died at Charlie Hebdo? Where were the hundreds of gatherings in European cities, the vigils etc? Is it because it happened outside the Western world so it didn't require that much focus? Or was it because it didn't suit a West vs Islam agenda that so many people are being brainwashed with these days? :rolleyes:

The media controls what we see - I scan through news stories every day and I had absolutely no idea that this had happened.
Reply 43
Original post by Dexa
Why is that when a terrorist group slaughters more than 100 children at a school, it gets one or two days of media coverage, perhaps 1 thread on TSR, and hardly any mention of it being an Islamic attack on Islamic people?

Yet the minute the Paris attacks happen....boom! camera's everywhere, 24/7 media coverage, multiple "popular" discussion threads on TSR, people calling it Paris' 9/11, then the whole world suddenly considers their position on Islam?

I just don't understand it. I'm not trying to quantify the differences in mortalities, but why did those 132 children deserve less global attention than those who died at Charlie Hebdo? Where were the hundreds of gatherings in European cities, the vigils etc? Is it because it happened outside the Western world so it didn't require that much focus? Or was it because it didn't suit a West vs Islam agenda that so many people are being brainwashed with these days? :rolleyes:

I think cause France is in Europe, its a well known countries. Paris is well known city. Those type counties or cities dont really have those attack often. So it more shocker compare to the countries who have attack very often.
The same reason why the Paris shootings were barely covered by the Pakistani media instead they have been more interested in Imran Khan's marriage from what I can see.
I guess because it's closer. But that doesn't make it any more or less important. Your personal values are what count, and if the Peshawar attack is dear to your heart, treasure it and support relief causes. There's no point in being angry at the world for not caring about the same issues you do...the only thing you can so is support the issues you care about. Trust me, I've been there.
Reply 46
Because we live in the West, only a extremely short distance from France and a country pretty similar to our own. Of course it will get more coverage.

The same way i'm sure the Peshwar massacre got coverage in the Middle-East than this situation in France will.
Reply 47
Because muslims kill other muslims every day, car bombs in syria, iraq, iran, afghanistan etc... so the media dont cover it as much
Because you know muslim lives are worth f all and muslims dying is "meh" but the minute a non muslim dies... it's "OMG WHAT A TRAGEDY"

A life is a life and the same value must be given to all innocent human life and the sad truth is the reason no one gave an f about the incident in pakistan because the victims were muslims and it goes to show that terrorists don't have a religion, they don't care what faith you follow or don't follow, they will kill for greed, power and money
And how much did Pakistani media cover the Paris attack?
Original post by She-Ra
The media controls what we see - I scan through news stories every day and I had absolutely no idea that this had happened.

How could you have missed it? It was all over the news?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30507836
and I wonder if the paris attack will be covered much in countries like pakistan?
Because we're not supposed to see things like this in the West. Atrocities like this are less rare with some of the barbarians in the middle East.
Numerous reasons.
One simple one is that France is much closer than Pakistan and it's much easier to send reporters from the UK off to France to film the events as they unfold than it is to send reporters off to Pakistan.
Original post by Dexa
X

No, it's not a conspiracy and it's not racism.

There are two reasons; the first is people are naturally more interested in something that happens in a country that is close to us (in geographic and cultural terms).

The second reason is that the news media can deploy many journalists and cameras to Paris to cover the issue, to write and to analyse. There is only so much they can do on the Pakistan attack because they lack people on the ground (particularly because of the danger to Westerners safety in Pakistan) and also lack of journalists who speak the language and who are therefore in a position to do on the ground reporting and analysis.

You see? Not some racist conspiracy, just human nature and considerations of security
I think the main thing was that this was so out of the blue in a supposedly 'peaceful' country, and as it just said on the BBC news, France supposedly has some of the best security measures in place in the world so is supposed to be reasonably secure too. This was the same in the Australian attacks. That's why they get more coverage, despite them all being immense tragedies, the attacks in Australia and Paris were so much less expected and happened to people who lived 'normal' lives.
Original post by Dexa
That makes no sense. Even the Sydney attacks got more coverage and it is further away from Europe than Pakistan.

Further geographically but closer culturally and linguistically.

See the reasons I provided above, it makes perfect sense. It's not a racist Zionist conspiracy, it's simply human nature to be more interested in events that are closer to you geographically or culturally, and considerations of security and resources mean the Western news media has far more journalists on the ground in Western countries than they could reasonably have in a country like Pakistan
Original post by Dexa

Maybe because it happened in an Islamic country and so it's an indigenous issue for that part of the world whereas in the heart of Europe we never thought we'd have to deal with maniacs killing over this bull****?
Western media generally covers events that happen in the West with more frequency and depth, simply because people want to know what's happen in the places they live/frequent. If you watch the local news, for example, you wouldn't be hearing news about places thousands of miles away -- If you watch the national news, same thing. International news coverage will have a wider berth, but if the news outlet is based in the West, they'll still give more attention to events happening there.
Closer to home, in a large capital city with plenty of security.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending