The Student Room Group

LSE MSc Economics

Hi all,

I'm going to complete my Economics undergraduate degree at Birmingham this year and I will definitely get a high upper second with perhaps a 50/50 chance at a first.

I know i'm being very optimistic applying to LSE given my grades and coming from UoB but I figured its work a shot. I am currently writing my personal statement and with regards to career prospects, my initial plan was to head into accounting to get a chartered accountancy qualification, then after that perhaps I could think of alternative careers.

My question is, would I be putting myself at a disadvantage by discussing how I want to go into accountancy as a profession when applying for MSc Economics at LSE as I feel that such a prestigious institution would feel I would be somewhat of a 'waste of space' choosing to head into something as 'simple' as accountancy.

Thanks.
I think from LSE's perspective, they may find it odd that you're applying for an economics masters given that you want to be an accountant.

I can understand why you want to study at LSE, but I think that, if you're set on becoming a chartered accountant, rather than an economist, it would be a better idea to do one of LSE's courses that is more tailored to accountancy - perhaps MSc Finance?

The MSc Economics course at LSE is incredibly competitive and I think only people who show they are really passionate about economics - rather than seeing the course as a means to a different profession - will get on to it.
Reply 2
Mujammil

As above, talking about becoming an accountant won't help your MSc Economics chances.

As for your background, etc., that isn't an issue as long as you achieve first class honours. People from Southampton's BSc Economics programme go onto LSE to study for an MSc (Economics/EME) every year, and I wouldn't say Southampton is stronger than Birmingham at the taught level.

Just think about if you're doing the MSc for the right reasons.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mujammil
Hi all,

I'm going to complete my Economics undergraduate degree at Birmingham this year and I will definitely get a high upper second with perhaps a 50/50 chance at a first.

I know i'm being very optimistic applying to LSE given my grades and coming from UoB but I figured its work a shot. I am currently writing my personal statement and with regards to career prospects, my initial plan was to head into accounting to get a chartered accountancy qualification, then after that perhaps I could think of alternative careers.

My question is, would I be putting myself at a disadvantage by discussing how I want to go into accountancy as a profession when applying for MSc Economics at LSE as I feel that such a prestigious institution would feel I would be somewhat of a 'waste of space' choosing to head into something as 'simple' as accountancy.

Thanks.

The best way to become a professional or chartered accountant is to go work in an accounting firm under their professional program. Doing a MSc is a waste of time, esp on in Economics. Cut to the chase, save money and get a head start by signing up with an accounting firm upon completion of your undergraduate degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending