The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by Memetics
Lol, apparently I'm the first person that my school can remember whose ever gotten into Oxford.

Me too, my school didn't even know what are oxford interviews. I had to explain the whole admissions process to my principal and teachers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Offer from Christ Church//Engineering

Disbelief to be honest, I couldn't define a bloody radian in my interview. Anyone find it funny that we get cleaners for our rooms ?:u:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 442
Hey all! I'm a Cantab offer holder just wanted to say congrats to my mortal enemies :smile:
Original post by EvasiveRose
Ah. You're the first person off TSR I've met in real life albeit accidentally ! :biggrin:

I've now met too many to count!
Original post by danniegee
Thank-you! Do you have an offer for St John's too? :smile: (hopefully!)

Nope, pooled to St Catz. :smile: Had interviews there so makes sense.
Reply 445
Original post by alexgr97
Nope, pooled to St Catz. :smile: Had interviews there so makes sense.

Ahh, it's a shame you won't be at St John's, but well done for getting an offer! Hopefully see you in October :smile:
Ahh, it's a shame you won't be at St John's, but well done for getting an offer! Hopefully see you in October :smile:

Thank you! See you then! Good luck for the last few months of A-levels :tongue:
Reply 447
Original post by alexgr97
Thank you! See you then! Good luck for the last few months of A-levels :tongue:

You too :wink:
Is there a Facebook group?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 449
Original post by aasvogel
Is there a Facebook group?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421006107.101749.jpg
I searched and found this group

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sgk286
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421006107.101749.jpg
I searched and found this group

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would avoid joining that. There's nothing official about it. It makes me rather suspicious when things that aren't official claim to be.
Original post by fluteflute
I would avoid joining that. There's nothing official about it. It makes me rather suspicious when things that aren't official claim to be.

The admins in that group are at Cambridge, which makes me slightly distrustful.
There's a 'University of Oxford Applicants / Offer Holders 2015 Entry' group with 50 members, but you have to apply to join which is a bit weird
current Oxford students - are Catz and Hilda's still at war with Magdalen?
Is it a problem if you're not on Facebook? I'm not a member and I seriously do not want to join Facebook but I don't want to miss out on any important information...
Original post by maxisuper
Offer from Christ Church//Engineering

Disbelief to be honest, I couldn't define a bloody radian in my interview. Anyone find it funny that we get cleaners for our rooms ?:u:

It's kinda cool but I don't like how they're called "Scouts". Makes them sound a bit like servants :/

Same! I think I read through the whole prospectus (including for science courses, which I definitely couldn't have applied for :biggrin: ) quite a few times, plus I have probably spent more time on the Oxford Admissions website since Yr 10 than it would take to actually complete the course itself :s-smilie:

Same! I remember when I was in Oxford when I was 8 or something, I 'decided' I was going to go there (probably mainly because His Dark Materials is set there). When I was in Year 10 (I think) for some reason I just started obsessively browsing the Oxford website and I remember exactly what piece of music I was listening to at that time. I replayed it when I got my offer :smile:

I noticed that too! It's funny though, because during interviews quite a few other applicants told me that they hadn't realised that this course existed, and that they might have considered it if they had. :smile:

I think that's one of the problems with 'niche' subjects. I didn't even know that Earth Sciences existed until I found it in the Oxford prospectus... and thank God for that, it changed my life! There are so many interesting small subjects like Materials Science or Human Sciences or Arch&Anth or CompSciPhil that most people haven't even heard of.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 456
Original post by Chlorophile

Same! I remember when I was in Oxford when I was 8 or something, I 'decided' I was going to go there (probably mainly because His Dark Materials is set there). When I was in Year 10 (I think) for some reason I just started obsessively browsing the Oxford website and I remember exactly what piece of music I was listening to at that time. I replayed it when I got my offer :smile:

:smile: That sounds amazing - to be able to play that same piece of music with an offer!

I think that's one of the problems with 'niche' subjects. I didn't even know that Earth Sciences existed until I found it in the Oxford prospectus... and thank God for that, it changed my life! There are so many interesting small subjects like Materials Science or Human Sciences or Arch&Anth or CompSciPhil that most people haven't even heard of.

Yes, it's funny...all these subjects sound really interesting, it's a shame they're not more well known :s-smilie: I am so glad I found Philosophy and French! It means I don't have to pick between the two :biggrin: It'll be really interesting to study how they interrelate in detail :smile:
Original post by mnina19
current Oxford students - are Catz and Hilda's still at war with Magdalen?

As a Hildabeast, I like to think so :wink:
Is it a problem if you're not on Facebook? I'm not a member and I seriously do not want to join Facebook but I don't want to miss out on any important information...

There'll undoubtedly be the annual Offer Holders group (it expands rapidly), which can be useful for finding course/college mates and getting questions answered, but joining it certainly isn't essential. I've found Facebook to be more useful since getting here, as we have pages for JCR notices which I wouldn't otherwise see and a lot of events are only advertised on Facebook etc.
Reply 459

I really hope not, I'm in the same position with facebook :/

Latest

Trending

Trending