The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Philbert
:laugh: Everything you've written in this thread, but especially that.

It's a quote from a famous comedian that has a lot of support. Also what exactly is wrong with it considering if a woman wants to get laid all she needs to say is "Let's have sex"? :rolleyes:
Original post by geoking
It's a quote from a famous comedian that has a lot of support. Also what exactly is wrong with it considering if a woman wants to get laid all she needs to say is "Let's have sex"? :rolleyes:

Yes, I know it's a quote. But you clearly believe it, which is why you've posted it.

It's just hilarious that you accused me of having a "chip" for no reason that I can discern when you are so rattled that women can apparently get sex more easily than you.
Yes, I know it's a quote. But you clearly believe it, which is why you've posted it.

It's just hilarious that you accused me of having a "chip" for no reason that I can discern when you are so rattled that women can apparently get sex more easily than you.

Instead of being angsty and pathetically making this personal, how about you explain what is wrong with the quote? Or just worried that no guy will want a slut to kiss their child considering where their mouth has been? :rolleyes:
Reply 83
The way I see it is 'slut' can have a lot of meanings. I think it's open to interpretation. Yeah the generalised definition of 'slut' is a woman/girl who sleeps around a lot. But what if that woman is a genuine/nice person and had more depth to her personality than 'sleeping around'? There's obviously a reason for her doing that. And would you call her a 'slut' then? You don't know a person until you walk with them so before people label women or men (because its not just females!) 'sluts' they should at least have the decorum to get to know the person before throwing such a derogatory label at them.
A slut, in my opinion, is someone who sleeps around willy-nilly without any regard to the feelings/emotions/love that come with such an act. A slut regards sex as a mere satisfaction of instinctual needs. I regard men and women the same way, in this matter, despite the evolutionary arguments that many come up with (not that the arguments themselves invalid). Though I like to think of myself of someone who doesn't rush into judging others, I would not have a relationship with someone who regards sex as such, because I couldn't take such people seriously, and because I feel that this sort of attitude becomes a lifestyle that is difficult to get rid of. Such people get bored of monogamous relationships very fast. I don't understand them, really. Some sluts/whatever term applies to men, might have issues (attention seekers or low self-esteem) and some enjoy the lifestyle, but I think a relationship with either is a big risk.

Original post by queen-bee
Amen to that sister. I don't sleep around or take having sex with just anyone lightly and ive only ever had sex with people ive been in long term relationships with,ain't nobody got time for sleeping around and catching all sorts

I totally agree with you here. I think any self-respecting person would do the same. I think sex and relationships are very serious matters and not mere satisfactions of instincts/base needs.
Original post by queen-bee
What constitutes a girl being called a 'slut' in this day and age and is there a male equivalent?

i've been having heated debates with people about this topic in particular.

Someone told me
if they look up "slut" in the dictionary
they'd find my face.
Someone else told me
I should get "slut" tattooed across my forehead.

But that's all irrelevant material.

A slut is someone who sleeps around. End of.
Original post by Foo.mp3

This translates as: I understand and accept the arguments for evolutionary dimorphism, but I’m going to pretend they don’t exist :u:

No :h: I knew I would be called out for this by a meticulous eye.:u:

Correct me if I am mistaken, please. The evolutionary theory supposes that:
A: Women are more likely to seek security and stable relationships, for themselves and their offspring.
B: Men are more likely to seek to spread their seed, and thus display behaviour of promiscuity.

I am not doubting the evolutionary theory, and am quite fond of it myself. I do realize that it's based on science and the study of animal and human behaviour.

It's just that for me, as a female, A and B are irreconcilable. A female wants a partner to provide her with security, but the partner wants to spread his seed. So, naturally, and in harmony with evolutionary dimophism as you termed it, I am going to regard males who sleep around in a negative light (same as I regard females), while you as a male will only regard females who sleep around in a negative light (males need to make sure that the offspring they are investing in are their own and not someone else's). Thus, I did not pretend that the theory does not exist; quite the contrary :u:

I hope I make sense. I have a severe headache, as I am weaning myself off coffee. :redface:
vagina like a well.
Original post by geoking
Instead of being angsty and pathetically making this personal, how about you explain what is wrong with the quote? Or just worried that no guy will want a slut to kiss their child considering where their mouth has been? :rolleyes:

You... what? You are ridiculous.
Original post by Foo.mp3

Erm.. okayyy :erm:

"I tripped and fell on him, officer!" :colondollar:

Think you might explain what you're trying to say here?
Original post by SamKeene
I really disagree with this. All my groups of friends I've had in my 21 years of existence have never called each other sluts or studs as insults or compliments. Any time I saw anyone call anyone else a 'slut' it was always banter and without malicious intent.

I'm convinced the 'hur durrr slut/stud dubble stundurd' is greatly exaggerated. Sure it exists, but nowhere near the level portrayed here.

It's not 'society today' it's a bunch of feminists with a victim-complex.

..I don't think you understand what Feminism is about, or what a victim-complex really is. Please educate yourself on both, and learn how and where to apply both terms because you've just made yourself look awfully silly.
if there is a lock that can be opened by many keys then it's a slut

conversely if there is a key that can open many locks then it's an active slut:biggrin:
I view it as a term of abuse. Usually used by men who would like to have sex with a woman who prefers someone else.
Reply 93
I think it is a very subjective term.
I guess a slut would be a person who has undignified or immoral sex., what undignified and immoral means will vary from person to person.
Personally I'd say somebody who is very cheap and easy, doesn't have a lot of respect for themselves and thus engages in lots of sex of a debasing nature would be slutty.
Though I do not really use the term a lot nor do any of my friends. Tbh I think it is mostly girls calling other girls sluts.
Original post by Foo.mp3

Your former comment was hyperbolic, your later implied that sluts are blameless

The first comment was supposed to be hyperbolic. Good job, Captain Obvious.

The second was talking about women being called sluts for pretty much anything, even when they have revealed nothing about their sex lives ( not that it is relevant, the vast majority of the time). "Slut" become a go-to insult for women, usually by men. What are you blaming sluts for, anyway?
Anyone who calls someone a slut is pathetic. Why does it matter if someone is sleeping with a lot of people, it's really not hurting you. Girls who call other girls sluts are usually jealous. And someone on here saying they think wearing revealing clothing makes someone a slut, I wore revealing clothes when I'd never even had sex before.
I saw this guy on Facebook calling girls he slept with loose. It just made me wonder at how unintelligent he must be to not realise he was doing the exact same thing as the girls he was slating.
I prefer to be in a relationship before I have sex, only because I get attached and can't separate feelings from casual sex. However, I know girls who have casual sex without developing feelings and I don't see anything wrong with it. They are doing something v they enjoy, what's bad about that?
There are so many things going on in the world that we should be concerned about. Not the fact that a girl has had more than five sexual partners in a year.
This sort of thing makes me so angry, I'm just glad I'm not so narrow minded and judgemental.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Ah. Perhaps you could share with the class the purpose of this deliberate hyperbolism, Captain Confusion? :confused:

For emphasis, you know, to emphasise how ridiculous some people are for calling women sluts.

haven't really addressed the original point you were making ~ that they 'couldn't help being born that way'

I didn't make that point at all? :confused: You haven't addressed the point that I was making, so I have no idea why you ever quoted me in the first place. You do seem confused.

..for earning the coveted title of slut

Other people in this thread make it out to be very easy to come by. Why are you not congratulating them, if it's so coveted?

P.S. Calm down dear :emog:

Ok, well I don't think my posts mark me as being anything other than calm. It can be hard communicate emotion on the internet.
Original post by Stefnaaay
..I don't think you understand what Feminism is about, or what a victim-complex really is. Please educate yourself on both, and learn how and where to apply both terms because you've just made yourself look awfully silly.

Perhaps persecution complex was more apt.

I probably have a better understanding of feminism and feminist theory than you do. I've read Mill, Friedsan, de Beauvior, Wolldstonecraft, Woolf and George Shaw - even the bull**** psuedo-intellectual writings of Jessica Valenti.

So no, you with your tumblr understanding of feminism makes you look silly, and is an insult to the very complex and deep history of feminist thought.
Someone who will give 'sexual favours' away to anyone, including strangers, for complete free.

For money would be a whore.

(fyi this includes men, manslut/ jigglo)
You... what? You are ridiculous.

Going to explain why that quote was wrong or going to keep on side stepping? :facepalm:

Latest