The Student Room Group

Dissertation

Hi what does brief statement of the background of the subject mean. I am going to write my dissertation for my project and I’m unsure what’s meant by this.
Anon,

It sounds like it's asking you for a brief background on your chosen topic or subject.

So perhaps, what recent research has said or the particular relevance at this time for doing your project.

It might be worth talking to your tutor/supervisor to clarify.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 2nd year podiatry student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Anonymous
Hi what does brief statement of the background of the subject mean. I am going to write my dissertation for my project and I’m unsure what’s meant by this.

Hi there,

So brief depends on the word count given! But just use a range of litaurature to give a broad overview of your chosen dissertation project topic, setting out the key issues/points in this subject :smile:.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

So brief depends on the word count given! But just use a range of litaurature to give a broad overview of your chosen dissertation project topic, setting out the key issues/points in this subject :smile:.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Hey!
I can definitely help you out with your question. A brief statement of the background of the subject is essentially an introduction to the topic you're going to be writing about in your dissertation. It's kind of like a mini history lesson on the subject, but it should be concise and to the point.
Basically, you want to give your readers an idea of what the subject is all about, why it's important, and how it's evolved over time. You can touch on key concepts, theories, and debates related to your topic, as well as any historical or cultural context that's relevant. The purpose of this statement is to provide your readers with the necessary background information to understand the significance of your research. So, it's important to keep it brief and relevant to your specific topic.
I hope that helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Reply 5
A brief statement of the background of the subject in the context of a dissertation refers to a concise overview of the historical, theoretical, and practical aspects related to your research topic. It sets the stage for your study by providing the necessary context and informing readers about the existing knowledge, theories, and relevant literature in the field. All the best!
nice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending