The Student Room Group

Only sitting 5 GCSE's due to exnetuation cirumstances

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
Hi I'm sitting my GCSE's 2 years later than usual because I missed two years of school due to a sudden health decline. I only got to do maths at foundation level. I'm better now so I'm doing 5 in one year and aiming for 5 A-A* grades.

There doesn't seem to be much information for people who have gone through my situation. Would I still be considered for med school? Or do I need at least 10 A - A* grades. I don't know if I'm just setting myself up for hoping to go into medicine and only doing 5.
Tbh the only reason I want to do it is because everything I went through.

\advice?

Would you be able to do more than 5? And which subjects in particular?

To be honest, your circumstances are quite rare. It's unlikely that anyone here would be able to help you as much as you like. I would suggest emailing all the medical schools admissions team and asking them about whether you could still apply there. As a general rule, I'd avoid GCSE-heavy universities (e.g. Oxford, Birmingham) though they might look differently at your application because of what you've been through.
Hi I'm sitting my GCSE's 2 years later than usual because I missed two years of school due to a sudden health decline. I only got to do maths at foundation level. I'm better now so I'm doing 5 in one year and aiming for 5 A-A* grades.

There doesn't seem to be much information for people who have gone through my situation. Would I still be considered for med school? Or do I need at least 10 A - A* grades. I don't know if I'm just setting myself up for hoping to go into medicine and only doing 5.

\advice?

completely agree with the reply above :biggrin: someone at the school (?) that you're doing the GCSEs through might be able to help like the head of year 11 or maybe sixth form? but they won't know about each university so it's worth generally looking at some unis at a glance you are interested in and then emailing them to see what they say :smile:
hope it all works out! :smile:

\advice?

Why are you limiting yourself to one year to get your GCSEs done? I know you may be feeling behind, but it would be better for you and your future goals if you could do more GCSEs, maybe by taking more time to do them in.

5 GCSEs does not meet the minimum requirement for most med schools. You would have to contact them and ask whether they would consider your circumstances as mitigating only 5 GCSEs, but since you are now better they may take the view that it should now be possible for you to do a normal number of GCSEs.

\advice?

I agree with the other 2 posters. You need to contact the individual medical schools and ask them what their policies and attitudes are ti someone in your situation. You will not be the first questioner and they have to have these policies in place. You could also try the Student support in each university and ask for advice.

They will look for assurances that your health has recovered.

\advice?

just do 8 and get 8 A*

Triple science
maths
double English
re
history

these 8 would be enough, re is quite easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theresheglows
Why are you limiting yourself to one year to get your GCSEs done? I know you may be feeling behind, but it would be better for you and your future goals if you could do more GCSEs, maybe by taking more time to do them in.

5 GCSEs does not meet the minimum requirement for most med schools. You would have to contact them and ask whether they would consider your circumstances as mitigating only 5 GCSEs, but since you are now better they may take the view that it should now be possible for you to do a normal number of GCSEs.

Original post by missfats
just do 8 and get 8 A*

Triple science
maths
double English
re
history

these 8 would be enough, re is quite easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You clearly don't understand what happens what you miss the year 10, year 11 deadline for achieving GCSE's.. I can't just go back to year 10 and do 12 gcses again. If it was that easy then I wouldn't be asking this.

Once you miss that timeslot its not just easy to go and do 8 GCSE's again. I wasn't asking what I should do. I was asking if there was any chance of universities considering me.
As a private candidate all the issues with coursework and paying for the exam centres are difficult. I'm not rich. Its a real stretch in money for me and colleges only teach at a lower level as most people there are doing resits. Either way its too late for that and at the moment I'm doing 5 and going to do a levels next year.

Thank you everyone else.

Does anyone know how to contact the universities and what would be the appropriate way to contact them without being annoying or anything. My query isn't much of a priority? I'll try looking at particular universities. Thank you!
You clearly don't understand what happens what you miss the year 10, year 11 deadline for achieving GCSE's.. I can't just go back to year 10 and do 12 gcses again. If it was that easy then I wouldn't be asking this.

Once you miss that timeslot its not just easy to go and do 8 GCSE's again. I wasn't asking what I should do. I was asking if there was any chance of universities considering me.
As a private candidate all the issues with coursework and paying for the exam centres are difficult. I'm not rich. Its a real stretch in money for me and colleges only teach at a lower level as most people there are doing resits. Either way its too late for that and at the moment I'm doing 5 and going to do a levels next year.

Thank you everyone else.

Does anyone know how to contact the universities and what would be the appropriate way to contact them without being annoying or anything. My query isn't much of a priority? I'll try looking at particular universities. Thank you!

5 A*s = 100% A*.

Of course universities will understand your health and financial issues, so yeah.

ace your a levels, then they will be sure to accept you.

Maybe look into other degrees, if medicine is unattainable due to the entry requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile

\advice?

I would say try doing higher maths privately at a tuition centre - you pay and just go in for the exam, most if not all unis ask for a B in maths GCSE and do edexcel because the grade boundaries are low, try doing 3 more, a home language/health+social care are perhaps easy to do as extras.

Thank you everyone else.

My reply was out of concern for you and what you may be pushing yourself to do, and in a short period of time when you have a recent history of severe ill health. I asked so that I could understand your situation better. My advice was kindly meant and aimed at helping you put yourself in as strong a position as you could be for application.

Obviously everyone's circumstances for the teaching that they can access is variable. I have known people get outstanding grades at FE colleges, but if you think your local one does not have a high enough standard of teaching then of course that is up to you.

Clearly your situation is unique and the best way of finding out what you want to know is by emailing the admissions departments at medical schools and explaining your circumstances in full (they may take a while to get back to you as they will be dealing with applications, interviews etc at the moment), this is the only way you will know for sure whether they will consider you.

Thank you everyone else.

For the type of issues you want to raise your best shot is by phone. Ask to speak to the people who deal with special circumstances. If they prove tough to get hold of then try student support and talk them through the system and what you want to find out. Start with one university you maybe don't want to go to as a practice run.
Original post by Yasmin-9970
I would say try doing higher maths privately at a tuition centre - you pay and just go in for the exam, most if not all unis ask for a B in maths GCSE and do edexcel because the grade boundaries are low, try doing 3 more, a home language/health+social care are perhaps easy to do as extras.

I am doing higher. :smile: maths.

Original post by theresheglows
My reply was out of concern for you and what you may be pushing yourself to do, and in a short period of time when you have a recent history of severe ill health. I asked so that I could understand your situation better. My advice was kindly meant and aimed at helping you put yourself in as strong a position as you could be for application.

Obviously everyone's circumstances for the teaching that they can access is variable. I have known people get outstanding grades at FE colleges, but if you think your local one does not have a high enough standard of teaching then of course that is up to you.

Clearly your situation is unique and the best way of finding out what you want to know is by emailing the admissions departments at medical schools and explaining your circumstances in full (they may take a while to get back to you as they will be dealing with applications, interviews etc at the moment), this is the only way you will know for sure whether they will consider you.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to be rude.. I understand now. My health is okay right now so all is good. Thank you for the concern. Maybe I'll some more search online and then I will email. Looks like my situation is very rare so there's not much advice which makes sense. A good thing is that I have more than enough evidence to show that I was I'll throughout those two years. Just depends on whether they will take the hopefully 5 A grades
(edited 9 years ago)
You would have to be really really careful where you applied.
Wouldn't they at least consider that I was so ill I was 90% housebound. Not like I could go into school every now and then.

I'm resiting like most people do. 5 GCSEs are generally required.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wouldn't they at least consider that I was so ill I was 90% housebound. Not like I could go into school every now and then.

I'm resiting like most people do. 5 GCSEs are generally required.

You really need to speak to each individual university. Your situation is not one anybody on this forum has dealt with. We can speak with confidence on many situations because the information is openly available on web sites (if people would be bothered to go and look) and form experience.

Your case is not one of those.

Good luck with your research. Please let us know how you get on. It would be further information for those of us who work in the area.
Original post by russellwallace
You really need to speak to each individual university. Your situation is not one anybody on this forum has dealt with. We can speak with confidence on many situations because the information is openly available on web sites (if people would be bothered to go and look) and form experience.

Your case is not one of those.

Good luck with your research. Please let us know how you get on. It would be further information for those of us who work in the area.

Okay thank you. Sorry I keep asking again and again. First thing I need to do is to get A*s on my GCSEs then worry about all of this.

I kept on finding a member on here called lekky. I don't know how to tag her though. I think she may have done less than the usual amount of GCSEs? If Im correct..
(edited 9 years ago)
Okay thank you. Sorry I keep asking again and again. First thing I need to do is to get A*s on my GCSEs then worry about all of this.

I kept on finding a member on here called lekky. I don't know how to tag her though. I think she may have done less than the usual amount of GCSEs? If Im correct..

Find one of her posts, put the cursor over her name at the left. It will give you an option to send a private message.
This thread is sorted. Will be doing more GCSEs alongside my AS.
Thanks for the advice
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending