The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lol
Money, already ahve a degree, it might not be from Oxford (or a first for that matter) but i'm happy with it, also getting a first actually hurts you more than you might think
Actually having been to Oxbridge would have been an interesting experience, although mostly not for the education. Just the certificate without the experience? Lame.
Reply 124
Would take the money.

£250k is £250k. The experience of Oxford only lasts 3 years and wouldnt automatically result in a better job.
Money - oxbridge arent good enough at design for me to benefit from the degree
I would take the money, because where I come from it's enough to buy yourself a house and another one (or two flats) to rent out, so it would completely set you up really.
I'd take the money. It would go so much further for me.
Original post by Tomsta
Money, already ahve a degree, it might not be from Oxford (or a first for that matter) but i'm happy with it, also getting a first actually hurts you more than you might think

How does it hurt you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StarvingAutist
I'd take the money. I'll get the degree be myself :wink:

Not, with that grammar you will not. Unless of course it is Geography that you are trying to study? That is the degree unintelligent people generally study to get into Oxford. I can see the reason, employers do not see the degree, only where you studied.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why does it matter if it's Oxbridge? You still won't get a top job if you're unsuitable for it.
Imo it depends on if I get the experience from the degree as well. If not, the money, easily.
Depends, the question is more interesting if you also become 'Oxbridge material' and as bright as many of the people here at Oxford - if you don't and simply just get a 1st on paper then the money is probably the better option.

Assuming someone becomes Oxford standard and it's a quantitative degree, then there are/will be job opportunities available to that person (and much more difficult to land outside of Oxbridge) where, in the long run, the £250k would be a fraction of the difference earned in that job, compared to a standard graduate job (even IB).
I'd take the money.

Besides, I wouldn't want to go to Oxbridge as I definitely wouldn't fit in on a sociological level.

Yeah, that's not me
1st from oxbridge, thats not me
Yeah I used to do A-Levels,
burned all of my notes cah that's not me
Original post by Noble.
Depends, the question is more interesting if you also become 'Oxbridge material' and as bright as many of the people here at Oxford - if you don't and simply just get a 1st on paper then the money is probably the better option.

Assuming someone becomes Oxford standard and it's a quantitative degree,
then there are/will be job opportunities available to that person (and much more difficult to land outside of Oxbridge) where, in the long run, the £250k would be a fraction of the difference earned in that job, compared to a standard graduate job (even IB).

What are all such degrees?

Also what do you mean by 'Oxbridge material'? :smile:
Original post by HarryDn
What are all such degrees?

Also what do you mean by 'Oxbridge material'? :smile:

Well, quantitative degrees - maths, physics, engineering for a start.

I mean 'Oxbridge material' in the sense that not everyone at the university is highly intelligent and, frankly, the majority of people outside of Oxbridge in the UK aren't. Getting a first (or even a 2:1) from Oxford, especially in a quantitative subject, is arguably completely redundant unless you are genuinely that bright, because very few employers, if any, take the fact you attend at face value.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
Well, quantitative degrees - maths, physics, engineering for a start.

I mean 'Oxbridge material' in the sense that not everyone at the university is highly intelligent and, frankly, the majority of people outside of Oxbridge in the UK aren't. Getting a first (or even a 2:1) from Oxford, especially in a quantitative subject, is arguably completely redundant unless you are genuinely that bright, because very few employers, if any, take the fact you attend at face value.

Would econ count?

Also, do you mean then that it's the cream of the crop even at Oxbridge? :redface:
Original post by HarryDn
Would econ count?

Also, do you mean then that it's the cream of the crop even at Oxbridge? :redface:

You wouldn't be disqualified for studying economics, but without fail the kind of people that get recruited for the heavy quantitative roles nearly always come from maths, physics or engineering (but I suspect it's because the kind of people they look for, are the kind of people who would choose to do one of the three subjects).

Some companies (they tend to be start-ups) don't even recruit outside of Oxbridge, so yes generally for the very well paid 'one-off' positions you can get at small firms your competition is other Oxbridge students on quantitative degrees (but very few Oxbridge grads end up doing something like this).
I go to Oxford, so I'll take the money and end up with an Oxford 2:1 anyway :sexface:
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
I go to Oxford, so I'll take the money and end up with an Oxford 2:1 anyway :sexface:

iirc you're a mature undergrad student there - do they fit in?

Latest