The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chlorophile
I've never been to the Cambridge botanical gardens (they don't have a Will & Lyra's bench though) but I do agree that the Sedgwick Museum is a strong rival to the Oxford Museum of Natural History.

I was thinking Fitzwilliam versus Ashmolean.

But yeah, Sedgwick is great. Bit small but interesting stuff. Disappointed by the dino being fake tho.
Original post by clh_hilary
I was thinking Fitzwilliam versus Ashmolean.

But yeah, Sedgwick is great. Bit small but interesting stuff. Disappointed by the dino being fake tho.

Are you still at Oxford?
Are you still at Oxford?

Yeah. You?
Yeah. You?

Well I never was at Oxford so no.
Original post by Somniare
It can't have gone too badly =p
Ahh, wir sollen zusammen sprechen!
Hmmm, I picked up Japanese because I was interested in the culture (which I am not really anymore, but it was enjoyable so continued), then Mandarin seemed like a good thing to learn =d and it would also help with the Japanese! (which it does…but it also confuses me at times too >.<) Why did you choose to study French and German? Because those are what are available to us in school?
Ahh, at least you can do some very quickly! And in the exam you get a choice so as long as enough come up that you can do…if you get three questions done that’s pretty good going, I don’t think you’d need 6 for a 1. But then again, they don’t really say how they mark it =d

I guess so, but it felt sooo bad... There were points when everyone was silent because we were all very confused and didn't know what was going on hahaa...
Ja natürlich! Das wäre echt gut!
Ah ok. I don't know much about Japenese culture but I have a friend who's really into it. So are Japanese and Mandarin quite similar then? Yeah, I chose French because I find it quite easy and there wasn't anything else I wanted to do. I actually really enjoy German though and want to spend time in Germany for a bit at some point :biggrin:
Haha, but the problem is enough nice ones coming up... Hmm, they say 4 decent (but not perfect) answers generally get a 1 and I have no idea whether I'd be able to get that in the exam. Do you think you're going to take STEP then?
Well I never was at Oxford so no.

I thought you interviewed or something.
I spoke a bit of German in my interview even though I'm applying for Geology!

Ooh cool! How come?
I thought you interviewed or something.

Yes... but I've not been staying in Oxford since December...
Original post by DodoManiac
Ooh cool! How come?

The interviewer noticed my German surname and it turned out he studied and lived near where my German side of the family lives and for some reason I thought it'd be a good idea to start talking in German and we had a little 30 second banter in German :3
Original post by Skitee
Thanks, which college was that? What are you studying - straight maths or a compsci/combined course?

That was Worcester :smile: I'm a MathPhil hopeful!
I haven't heard back yet as they're very busy but I'm not in any rush.. Which college did you apply to?
The interviewer noticed my German surname and it turned out he studied and lived near where my German side of the family lives and for some reason I thought it'd be a good idea to start talking in German and we had a little 30 second banter in German :3

Hahaa wow, sounds fun! One of my interviewers was from a town 15 mins away from me actually!
Original post by DodoManiac
I guess so, but it felt sooo bad... There were points when everyone was silent because we were all very confused and didn't know what was going on hahaa...
Ja natürlich! Das wäre echt gut!
Ah ok. I don't know much about Japenese culture but I have a friend who's really into it. So are Japanese and Mandarin quite similar then? Yeah, I chose French because I find it quite easy and there wasn't anything else I wanted to do. I actually really enjoy German though and want to spend time in Germany for a bit at some point :biggrin:
Haha, but the problem is enough nice ones coming up... Hmm, they say 4 decent (but not perfect) answers generally get a 1 and I have no idea whether I'd be able to get that in the exam. Do you think you're going to take STEP then?

Japanese and Mandarin are very different.
Japanese and Mandarin are very different.

Ok, cheers! :smile:
Original post by BlueSkyeCloudyDay
Well I mean, I have two other unis that I would feel happy going to if Ox doesn't work out, but they are very competitive so I don;t know if there's any point in having them as an insurance if I miss my Ox offer. Alternatively, there are two other offers which are fine, but I'm not really sure I want to go to them that much. So that leaves me a choice between stupid (pick Ox and a v. competitive same offer uni) or safe (pick ox and lower offer uni).

I have the same dilemma: Oxford is actually asking for the lowest grades (AAA). Not sure whether to have Nottingham as an insurance (which I am confident will drop from A*AA to, say A*AB, maybe even AAB) which I don't really want to go to, or KCL or UCL which I'd much prefer but not confident that they'd drop grade requirements to AAB/A*AB ??
Anyone who has been accepted for St Peter's College on here? I'm yet to find anyone :frown:
Original post by BlueSkyeCloudyDay
Hi, any lawyers? What are you guys thinking of insuring? I can't decide because literally everything is the same offer. :smile:

I want to email Warwick and ask them for a lower offer but I feel as if that's too cheeky... Nowhere else gave me lower than AAA so yeah I'm stuffed too
Does anyone know who I should contact in this situation? Basically, I've realised that there is a module (actually more than one, but one in particular) in Oxford's Physics course that's actually extremely relevant to what I want to do after my undergraduate degree and I wanted to find out if the contents in that module is something I could study as part of my Earth Sciences degree (for instance, if it'd be possible to do that as a fourth year project or if it appears in any of the Earth Sciences modules). Is it okay to email the admissions department about this or would this come across as annoying? I don't want to switch to Physics, but I would really like to know if it's at all possible to cover this module in my degree because it's something I'd really like to study. Alternatively, is there any possibility of studying modules from outside of your course?

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone know who I should contact in this situation? Basically, I've realised that there is a module (actually more than one, but one in particular) in Oxford's Physics course that's actually extremely relevant to what I want to do after my undergraduate degree and I wanted to find out if the contents in that module is something I could study as part of my Earth Sciences degree (for instance, if it'd be possible to do that as a fourth year project or if it appears in any of the Earth Sciences modules). Is it okay to email the admissions department about this or would this come across as annoying? I don't want to switch to Physics, but I would really like to know if it's at all possible to cover this module in my degree because it's something I'd really like to study. Alternatively, is there any possibility of studying modules from outside of your course?

You can go to any lecture you fancy (I've been to a few physics and CS lectures this Michaelmas even though I do Maths), but you are extremely unlikely to be allowed to officially take a module from a different department as a part of your degree. Asking your tutors later would be more useful than asking admissions right now.
Reply 618
Was there anyone here in which their school and teachers didn't really care that they got an offer from Oxford or is it just me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
I thought the Singaporean government pays tuition even for those students who decide to study abroad?

That is only for students who receive the PSC scholarship (which in my opinion is even harder than getting into oxford, can you believe it :frown:) It is REALLY hard to get funding for courses such as Medicine and Law in Singapore, many scholarships specify that they do not want any law or medicine degrees

Latest

Trending

Trending