The Student Room Group

Help don't last subject to pick for A-level

So I want to do Psychology in university and right now the definite sucjects I'll choose are psychology, sociology and physics but I'm not sure about the last one.

For GCSE i chose economics and geography I'm okay at both and at most subjects in the curriculum.

Sorry for the messy post but I'm having a really hard time any help would be appreciated the deadline for the application for the 6th form i want is 30th of Jan.

Thanks in advance!!
[tsr user voice] do maths

No but really, if you want to do Physics at A-level you'll probably want Maths. AS Physics doesn't use much above GCSE Maths, but I believe you'll need A-level Maths for A2 Physics.
Reply 2
Original post by loperdoper
[tsr user voice] do maths

No but really, if you want to do Physics at A-level you'll probably want Maths. AS Physics doesn't use much above GCSE Maths, but I believe you'll need A-level Maths for A2 Physics.

Naw you really don't. Though I must admit, mathematical and physical ability correlate quite well and those who didn't take maths a level got Us at AS because they didn't understand any of the course at our school. It wasn't particularly maths heavy, just they need the same sorta skills.
Reply 3
As long as you got an A or A* in GCSE then you should be fine, there was always maths support sessions for physics in my college, you would probably be able to find the same type of support too if you need it (the most you have to do is rearrange equations and substitute values or calculate gradients, how hard even is it but people still struggle). Id say just do a subject you find particularly interesting or fun (even something easy). Its not like all four of your subjects have to be relevant to the course you want to do, pick something youve done well in gcse maybe? Geography is more or less the same as gcse ive heard
Original post by Zahid~
As long as you got an A or A* in GCSE then you should be fine, there was always maths support sessions for physics in my college, you would probably be able to find the same type of support too if you need it (the most you have to do is rearrange equations and substitute values or calculate gradients, how hard even is it but people still struggle). Id say just do a subject you find particularly interesting or fun (even something easy). Its not like all four of your subjects have to be relevant to the course you want to do, pick something youve done well in gcse maybe? Geography is more or less the same as gcse ive heard

Thats true, i made a decision to do it as a 6th AS privately today because it really isnt any different to gcse, i think its a good 4th A level to have and having a science, 2 social sciences and a humanity is good - i would also advise doing maths because there is some statistics in psychology i think? :smile:
Original post by TVIO
Naw you really don't. Though I must admit, mathematical and physical ability correlate quite well and those who didn't take maths a level got Us at AS because they didn't understand any of the course at our school. It wasn't particularly maths heavy, just they need the same sorta skills.

Not even for A2? Well there you go.

It's difficult to say for AS from personal experience because although the one kid in our class who did Physics without Maths got a D at AS, I also got a D at AS with Maths.
Reply 6
Original post by loperdoper
Not even for A2? Well there you go.

It's difficult to say for AS from personal experience because although the one kid in our class who did Physics without Maths got a D at AS, I also got a D at AS with Maths.

A lot of the skills you might use to answer a question would be well trained from A level maths. But the actual maths knowledge you need isn't very high at all (GCSE is pretty much enough).
Biology and maths are both recommended for psychology so I would probably go for those. Drop sociology - not highly regarded as a subject.
Reply 8
Thanks all you guys great help
Reply 9
I wouldnt go for maths if you dont 'need' it, its quite difficult to have as a 4th subject, you rather choose something thats easier and youd get a better grade in, its your grade that matters most at the end of the day (unless ure taking critical thinking or something, thats a nono)

Quick Reply

Latest