The Student Room Group

I'm not sure what to study as my third A level

Hi, I'm only in Y10 rn but I've been thinking about what A levels I want to do at college. I know I want to do History and Biology as they are my two favourite subjects I'm studying currently at GCSE level, but I'm unsure about the last a level to pick (Side note I don't want to do 4 A levels). I also don't have any particular career path in mind so I can't really base my last choice on that either. Does anyone have any recommendations of subjects that may go well with these two?
Hey! I do politics and absolutely love it! It pairs really well with history and is so so relevant so defo a good option when it comes to employability. Biology and history isn't a very common pair so there isn't really a clear third subject for you. Also be aware that loving something at GCSE doens't mean you'll love it A level- make sure you are interested in the period of history you will have to study at A-level etc. Also be aware that Biology and History are known for being two of the hardest subjects- don't let this put you off bc if you're passionate it's definitely doable but if you aren't someone with a strong work ethic then you may struggle. Hope this was helpful!
Reply 2
Original post by katie.watsonn
Hey! I do politics and absolutely love it! It pairs really well with history and is so so relevant so defo a good option when it comes to employability. Biology and history isn't a very common pair so there isn't really a clear third subject for you. Also be aware that loving something at GCSE doens't mean you'll love it A level- make sure you are interested in the period of history you will have to study at A-level etc. Also be aware that Biology and History are known for being two of the hardest subjects- don't let this put you off bc if you're passionate it's definitely doable but if you aren't someone with a strong work ethic then you may struggle. Hope this was helpful!

Thanks for the advice! I find that subjects I enjoy I have a much stronger work ethic for, and usually have higher grades in so despite them being considered hard A levels I'm determined to give it a go, because I find the subjects really rewarding!
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Daisy._.7777
Thanks for the advice! I find that subjects I enjoy I have a much stronger work ethic for, and usually have higher grades in so despite them being considered hard A levels I'm determined to give it a go, because I find the subjects really rewarding!

This is a really great attitude and I chose my subjects for the same reasons! Defo hasn't been easy but hoping it'll all be worth it!
Reply 4
This is a really great attitude and I chose my subjects for the same reasons! Defo hasn't been easy but hoping it'll all be worth it!

Good Luck! I hope it all goes well. :smile:
if possible, you should take maths. it would open more doors for you.
Reply 6
Original post by blade000

I was actually considering taking Maths, I’ll take this into account. Thank you!
Hi, I'm only in Y10 rn but I've been thinking about what A levels I want to do at college. I know I want to do History and Biology as they are my two favourite subjects I'm studying currently at GCSE level, but I'm unsure about the last a level to pick (Side note I don't want to do 4 A levels). I also don't have any particular career path in mind so I can't really base my last choice on that either. Does anyone have any recommendations of subjects that may go well with these two?

If there is a chance that you might continue at degree level with a biology-related degree, then chemistry A level would be a good option (it is often a required subject for bio degrees).

Two resources that will help you explore options beyond A level:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
Original post by blade000

This is true however it is considerably harder than GCSE so I wouldn't recommend anyone to take it who gets below a grade 8. Even with a seven you would struggle.
Reply 9

Heya!
I would recommend researching some potential degrees you can do in the future and look at the entry requirements :smile: Uniguide alvl explorer and prospects should be able to help you out :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
This is true however it is considerably harder than GCSE so I wouldn't recommend anyone to take it who gets below a grade 8. Even with a seven you would struggle.

A level maths is not as difficult as you think as long as you have taken the additional maths subject at GCSE/IGCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest