The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

I'm in a similar kind of position to Sirocco11 - I do enjoy playing quite a lot, and I also enjoy learning more about the game from watching the pros.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krish4791
I'm in a similar kind of position to Sirocco11 - I do enjoy playing quite a lot, and I also enjoy learning more about the game from watching the pros.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely! I've learned a hell of a lot simply by watching the pros.Mainly because I'm a predominantly self-taught player, the more I watch tennis, the more I learn. I think in terms of accessibility tennis can be a very tough beast to tame, but once you play enough and start understanding spins and positioning (and so on) it falls into place. Immensely rewarding sport when played well!
Original post by Sirocco11
Absolutely! I've learned a hell of a lot simply by watching the pros.Mainly because I'm a predominantly self-taught player, the more I watch tennis, the more I learn. I think in terms of accessibility tennis can be a very tough beast to tame, but once you play enough and start understanding spins and positioning (and so on) it falls into place. Immensely rewarding sport when played well!

Yes, completely agree with this. I actually started playing squash before I picked up tennis, so I found the transition quite hard at first (I'd usually send balls flying way over the baseline). I've now manage to more successfully "engrave" tennis in my mind by doing 3 things: practising and actually training (at school, then university), watching a lot of the ATP tour, and playing this pc game called Tennis Elbow 2013 (and effectively trying to mimic the footwork and the basic shots).
Definitely the sport I am most enthusiastic about (although cricket isn't that far behind) :smile:
So excited for the 2015 season(maybe Murray might actually get to a GS final again*sighs*)
The mens draw has a sense of unpredictability to me for the first time in a few yrs. Not expecting much from Stan and really hoping for Nishikori-Djokovic semi and a Fed-Murray QF. Will also be really interesting to see how Kygrios does.
As for the woman's draw so many exciting match ups and it will be interesting to see how Azarenka, Venus,Bouchard and Halep do.
My dark horse picks for the mens is Murray and for the women's Wozniacki. What does everyone else think?
Also there is new fantasy tennis website started by the reporter Ben Rothenberg called RacketRally, has anyone signed up to it? As I was thinking if enough people on here register it could be nice to start our own league on there(all completely free ofcourse! )
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
So excited for the 2015 season(maybe Murray might actually get to a GS final again*sighs*)
The mens draw has a sense of unpredictability to me for the first time in a few yrs. Not expecting much from Stan and really hoping for Nishikori-Djokovic semi and a Fed-Murray QF. Will also be really interesting to see how Kygrios does.
As for the woman's draw so many exciting match ups and it will be interesting to see how Azarenka, Venus,Bouchard and Halep do.
My dark horse picks for the mens is Murray and for the women's Wozniacki. What does everyone else think?
Also there is new fantasy tennis website started by the reporter Ben Rothenberg called RacketRally, has anyone signed up to it? As I was thinking if enough people on here register it could be nice to start our own league on there(all completely free ofcourse! )

Hey, good to see you back and posting! I would agree with your dark horse picks, I can see Andy's clearly feeling better about his chances than last year and the women's tournament is always a toss-up simply because Serena has been crashing out early at the AO for the last few years. I suspect Stan will do well though, he's got a decent draw and I could see him setting up a blockbuster QF with Nishikori at least.
Not long to go now!
Schedule of Play out for tomorrow (provisional):

Rod Laver Arena (Morning): Ana Ivanovic (5) vs Lucie Hradecka on 2nd match, followed by Rafael Nadal (3) vs Mikhail Youzhny - sometime after 2pm local time (so 3-4am?)

Evening Session: Roger Federer (2) vs Yen-Hsun Lu around 8am, followed by Maria Sharapova (2) vs Petra Martic

Margaret Court Arena: Andy Murray (6) 2nd match on vs qualifier Yuki Bhambri. Evening matches feature Eugenie Bouchard and Nick Kyrgios

Other matches of note: Bernard Tomics vs Tobias Kamke, Tomas Berdych (7) vs Alejandro Falla, Grigor Dimitrov vs Dustin Brown, Thanasi Kokkinakis vs Ernests Gulbis

My Upset Pick for Tomorrow: Kokkinakis def. Gulbis
With Federer's half of the draw starting tomorrow, that hopefully means that he will play the first SF should he get there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Has the ATP world tour challenge been scrapped?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Has the ATP world tour challenge been scrapped?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sadly, yes - I think it was scrapped as of last year itself.
Won't be able to follow the AO so much this year because I'm on placement and can't stay up to watch matches as I usually do when I'm at uni. Gutted.

Anyway, quite confident about Murray's chances this year especially as he's managed to avoid Djoko's half

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by usamakhanlodhi

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking about joining this and it would be nice if we had a league here. Not sure there's much time left to join though
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2751
Original post by K1NG93
With Federer's half of the draw starting tomorrow, that hopefully means that he will play the first SF should he get there.

all taht should matter to u is for fed to not face nadal:wink:
Reply 2752
Original post by Skkc16
Won't be able to follow the AO so much this year because I'm on placement and can't stay up to watch matches as I usually do when I'm at uni. Gutted.

Anyway, quite confident about Murray's chances this year especially as he's managed to avoid Djoko's half

Posted from TSR Mobile

Murray's toughest opponent is actually Nadal, he even said it too:wink:
Original post by ubi1

Lol I know.
Original post by ubi1
Murray's toughest opponent is actually Nadal, he even said it too:wink:

That may have been the case in the past but Nadal is not at the top of his game right now whereas Djokovic seems as strong as ever (despite the illness rumours)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say Murray still has it pretty rough with Federer in his quarter. Lost to him last year at the AO, and the last 3 times in a row. He can't use his winning record against him anymore as a mental strength builder (as that was erased at the WTF after his horrendous display). Plus Fed's in some of his best form going into this tournament as well. Might sound slightly wacky, but I think Andy would have preferred Nadal (and then maybe Djokovic after that - just feel he would match up better with these two given the current situation).

Still as I said before, I expect Andy will have a great tournament.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ubi1

Lol, that's basically how I feel right now :biggrin: Rafa playing awfully but managing to scrape through his early rounds, then turns into Superman and plays at 150% when seeing RF on the other side of the net
Anybody aside from Eurosport broadcasting?
Original post by ubi1

Nadal is not ready to win no. :biggrin:
Original post by Rakas21
Anybody aside from Eurosport broadcasting?
The BBC don't do it anymore?

Quick Reply

Latest