The Student Room Group

HELP!! Am I a suitable medical applicant

I really want to do medicine as I love that side of science and it's what I can see myself doing in the future.However I don't know whether I will make the cut and be accepted if I was to apply!
I have 7a* 3a. Predicted aaaa at as in chemistry biology business psychology. I am planning on dropping business after as as it's not related to medicine.
My biology and psychology teachers said I could get a* at a2 if I push myself.
I have relevant work experience already(hospital and old peoples home)
I also work in a pharmacy and have gained a qualification there(advising on medicines).
I don't know anything about Ukcats
Would really appreciate any advice anyone has!!
Am I suitable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your stats are plenty good enough. Keep your head down during exam time. Remember that sacrifice then will be worth it.
Be willing to take a gap year. Be willing to take another gap year.
Use Medify for UKCAT
Get someone appropriate to help/check your personal statement.
Check which unis are suitable for your application strengths. Give yourself the best chance at interview.

My stats are short of yours, i ended up with ABB and no chemistry. Took a gap year. In first year Biomed right now but have an offer for medicine in September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thank you for that advice!
My friends sister got in first year at Queen Mary's so will get her to help me with my application.
Good luck and well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I would ask the schools themselves. Some want 3 science/maths at AS (most don't count psychology A Level as a science) so worth checking before you apply
Reply 4
Your stats are EASILY good enough for medicine :smile: I've gone through the process this year so I know a fair bit about how the system works xD So long as you research your chosen medical schools' selection processes then you should easily get a number of interviews. The UKCAT is a test that medicine applicants have to take in the summer before they send off their UCAS application, so it'd be worth "looking into" this now just to get an idea of what it entails. You may also need to sit the BMAT test (again, look this one up) depending on which unis you apply to, but this one's done in the November after you send off your application, so probably not worth worrying about too much for the minute. Your work experience looks good. Try and get involved with anything you can - particularly long-term volunteering, and keep notes of what you see and do, as those will be VERY useful at interview. DOn't feel the need to spend hundreds of pounds on Med Link or anything though, as generally, they don't add anything to your application because universities know that many people wouldn't be able to afford them anyway!

I would advise staying away from universities such as Birmingham and Oxbridge as your GCSEs will make it a little trickier to get into those places as they place quite a lot of emphasis on those, but for pretty much every other medical school, your stats at the minute look really good!

As has already been said, keep your head down and make sure you get As in your AS Levels, and I'd recommend booking your UKCAT for some time late in the summer holidays so you have plenty of time to prepare for it without it clashing with exams.

And just for the record, hardly any med schools ask for 3 science/maths subjects at AS. So long as you take Biology and Chemistry to A2 then you should be fine :smile:

If you've got any questions then feel free to PM me :P
And good luck!!!
Original post by Ferret604
I would ask the schools themselves. Some want 3 science/maths at AS (most don't count psychology A Level as a science) so worth checking before you apply

Only a small number want "3 science/maths at AS". cwi111 is talking sense
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by cwi111
Your stats are EASILY good enough for medicine :smile: I've gone through the process this year so I know a fair bit about how the system works xD So long as you research your chosen medical schools' selection processes then you should easily get a number of interviews. The UKCAT is a test that medicine applicants have to take in the summer before they send off their UCAS application, so it'd be worth "looking into" this now just to get an idea of what it entails. You may also need to sit the BMAT test (again, look this one up) depending on which unis you apply to, but this one's done in the November after you send off your application, so probably not worth worrying about too much for the minute. Your work experience looks good. Try and get involved with anything you can - particularly long-term volunteering, and keep notes of what you see and do, as those will be VERY useful at interview. DOn't feel the need to spend hundreds of pounds on Med Link or anything though, as generally, they don't add anything to your application because universities know that many people wouldn't be able to afford them anyway!

I would advise staying away from universities such as Birmingham and Oxbridge as your GCSEs will make it a little trickier to get into those places as they place quite a lot of emphasis on those, but for pretty much every other medical school, your stats at the minute look really good!

As has already been said, keep your head down and make sure you get As in your AS Levels, and I'd recommend booking your UKCAT for some time late in the summer holidays so you have plenty of time to prepare for it without it clashing with exams.

And just for the record, hardly any med schools ask for 3 science/maths subjects at AS. So long as you take Biology and Chemistry to A2 then you should be fine :smile:

If you've got any questions then feel free to PM me :P
And good luck!!!

That's made me a bit more optimistic.! Have you got any advice on things I could be doing now to help me next year with interviews? Just small things? And I have been volunteering at an old peoples home once a week most weeks since September so hopefully that will boost my application. I want to do whatever I can to get the maximum amount of interviews!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by laurena1998
That's made me a bit more optimistic.! Have you got any advice on things I could be doing now to help me next year with interviews? Just small things? And I have been volunteering at an old peoples home once a week most weeks since September so hopefully that will boost my application. I want to do whatever I can to get the maximum amount of interviews!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Keep doing as much work experience as you can - I did a week in a hospital, GP, pharmacy and a private ambulance firm, and that gave me plenty to talk about at interviews. The truth is though, the majority of medical schools use a very statistical process when they select people to interview. Depending on where you apply, common factors usually include your GCSE results, AS results, A2 predictions and UKCAT or BMAT score, so just make sure that your AS grades are as good as they can be, and then prepare for the UKCAT a month or two beforehand. For the minute, make sure you're researching medical schools that you'd be interested in - find out about the different teaching styles and whether you think they'd work for you (lectures, dissection, PBL, etc) and look very closely at their selection process to match your strengths to the right medical school :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending