The Student Room Group

Should men be gentlemen towards both sexes or just ladies?

A modern man should strive to be a gentleman in all situations.

He will open doors for women, pull chairs out for women, help women with their coats, open car doors for women, walk on the inside of the road side when with a woman, he will stand for women on public transport and many more. He will certainly never hit a woman.

Should a man also be gentlemanly towards fellow men, or just to women?

EDIT: This applies to all women, not just a gentleman's love interest
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I guess it depends on his sexuality...
I live by the principle that you should be a good person to everybody until you're given a reason not to.
Original post by XZX
I guess it depends on his sexuality...

why
Original post by Harvey Dent
I live by the principle that you should be a good person to everybody until you're given a reason not to.

So you shouldn't treat women differently to men?
Reply 5
Original post by TrackerJacker
why

I wouldn't be helping another man with his coat unless I wasn't straight.
So you shouldn't treat women differently to men?

No. Of course there are exceptions, such as pregnant women, purely because their needs are gender-exclusive.
Original post by XZX
I wouldn't be helping another man with his coat unless I wasn't straight.

why
No. Of course there are exceptions, such as pregnant women, purely because their needs are gender-exclusive.

Of course. The pregnant and the elderly etc

But would you act gentlemanly to platonic female friends and male friends?
Reply 9
Should as in legally, or as recommended etiquette? I'd say no to both though, it's up to the man.
**** being a modern gentleman in this generation. Some women are awful and don't deserve it.

If she hits me I'll hit her back.
They don't deserve my gentleman attributes just for being a lady.

If I want to be nice and courteous I'll do it when I want regardless of gender
Of course. The pregnant and the elderly etc

But would you act gentlemanly to platonic female friends and male friends?

That would depend on the situation, the individual, the accepted definition of "gentlemanly" etc.
To use an example that's already been given, if my parents had friends over then I would help with coats, scarves and the like because of the situation. I wouldn't do it if we were at a restaurant, since we're not the hosting party. However, I wouldn't do it for my friends under any circumstances.
Original post by bittr n swt
**** being a modern gentleman in this generation. Some women are awful and don't deserve it.

If she hits me I'll hit her back.
They don't deserve my gentleman attributes just for being a lady.

If I want to be nice and courteous I'll do it when I want regardless of gender

Such a shame. This thread had been relatively civil until you turned up.
That would depend on the situation, the individual, the accepted definition of "gentlemanly" etc.
To use an example that's already been given, if my parents had friends over then I would help with coats, scarves and the like because of the situation. I wouldn't do it if we were at a restaurant, since we're not the hosting party. However, I wouldn't do it for my friends under any circumstances.

Would you only help with the ladies coats, or the men's too?
Would you only help with the ladies coats, or the men's too?

I think it would be seen as slightly strange if I helped the men on with their coats. In that sense, it's interesting how social attitudes shape our behaviour in spite of our values.
Such a shame. This thread had been relatively civil until you turned up.

Come out of your glasshouse and tell me what you disagree with.
Original post by bittr n swt
Come out of your glasshouse and tell me what you disagree with.

Well, the OP of this thread is all about how positive behaviour changes when it's applied to people of different genders, ages ect. Nobody had used any expletives until you decided to, um, grace us with your presence. Certainly nobody before you had mentioned violence towards men OR women. It's a very ugly trait that you'd do well to discard.
Well, the OP of this thread is all about how positive behaviour changes when it's applied to people of different genders, ages ect. Nobody had used any expletives until you decided to, um, grace us with your presence. Certainly nobody before you had mentioned violence towards men OR women. It's a very ugly trait that you'd do well to discard.

Do you have trouble reading?

Go read the last bit of the big paragraph in the op.

Don't waste my time picking silly fights. I'm gone
I think it would be seen as slightly strange if I helped the men on with their coats. .

why should it be strange? women are just as capable of putting coats on as men
maybe if you wan't to get beaten up on the tube

Quick Reply

Latest