The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by thomashigginson
Experimental Psychology as well!

:O I think you're the first EP I've met on here! Now you definitely have to get in so we can be best friends! PM me about what your interviews were like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 801
Original post by clh_hilary
The college(s)/PPH who interviewed you don't want you but they think you're good enough for Oxford.

Most likely to be allocated to St Catherine's College.

Is that an official statistic, that most open offer holders go to St Catz?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The college(s)/PPH who interviewed you don't want you but they think you're good enough for Oxford.

'Don't want you' is not an accurate description of the situation. As explained in responses to earlier posts, Open Offers are made because across a subject not all students will (for a variety of reasons) accept their offer, while some may miss the terms of a conditional offer. The college actually DOES want you - since it is underwriting your place and will take you unless another college loses a student and asks if they will release you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Yaz97

Posted from TSR Mobile

No! Withdrawals or missed conditional offers can affect any college.
[QUOTE="admissionshost;53164031"]

'Don't want you' is not an accurate description of the situation. As explained in responses to earlier posts, Open Offers are made because across a subject not all students will (for a variety of reasons) accept their offer, while some may miss the terms of a conditional offer. The college actually DOES want you - since it is underwriting your place and will take you unless another colleges loses a student and asks if they will release you.

In my offer letter (I got an open offer), it says my college 'guarantees to admit you in the event that no other College has a vacancy', so when there is a vacancy, am I automatically filling that space up, or does my underwriting college have a say in whether I get released or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="jonathanyyt;53164491"]
Original post by admissionshost

In my offer letter (I got an open offer), it says my college 'guarantees to admit you in the event that no other College has a vacancy', so when there is a vacancy, am I automatically filling that space up, or does my underwriting college have a say in whether I get released or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The college which interviewed you has already released you; that line only means if none of the other colleges want you (highly unlikely), they will have you back.

Just assume it's St Catz for now.
[QUOTE="clh_hilary;53165083"]
Original post by jonathanyyt

The college which interviewed you has already released you; that line only means if none of the other colleges want you (highly unlikely), they will have you back.

Where are you getting this St Catz stat from?

Of the 30 odd people I know who had open offers - 0 went to Catz.
Original post by Yaz97

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, but St Catz has got the highest number of students so theoretically the chance of getting allocated there is higher.

To compare, The Queen's College has got 349 undergraduates whilst St Catz has got 506. Rumour has it that they've also got fewer applicants.
[QUOTE="Lucilou101;53165153"]

Where are you getting this St Catz stat from?

Of the 30 odd people I know who had open offers - 0 went to Catz.

Catz has got the highest number of students so logically there's a higher chance to be allocated there than anywhere else, especially if the rumour about them having fewer applicants is true.
Original post by admissionshost

'Don't want you' is not an accurate description of the situation. As explained in responses to earlier posts, Open Offers are made because across a subject not all students will (for a variety of reasons) accept their offer, while some may miss the terms of a conditional offer. The college actually DOES want you - since it is underwriting your place and will take you unless another colleges loses a student and asks if they will release you.

Yeah, they want you so much even though you've chosen them, they've decided to not give you a place unless they absolutely need to (ie no other colleges have a place for you).

Not even the official beautified version of explaining what open offer is said the college wants you - they said your place at Oxford is guaranteed, but you won't know which college you're going to unless your results are released.

They obviously don't hate you or anything, but if you've got an open offer, it's quite obvious that you are not one of their first choices.

The bolded part is silly - you're phrasing it as if they already have you, but will generously give you up if another college asks. The reality is they want you at Oxford but not sure about giving you a place at college over the *** people they're getting this year, so they'll see if another college wants you. If not, they'll have you, but it's unlikely that nobody will want you.
To add to that on open offers, the physics department has this to say:

Recipients of Open Offers are guaranteed a place at a College, but which College this is will not be determined until after the A-level results are published in mid August. Each year a small number of candidates fail to meet the conditions of their offer, or withdraw for other reasons and the vacancies arising from this are filled by candidates holding Open Offers. Every Open Offer is underwritten by a particular College, and in the unlikely event of a vacancy not arising a place will be made available at the underwriting college.

https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/faqs/faq-admissions

Very clearly it means the DEPARTMENT wants you, but the college does not. The rationalisation that 'the college does want you' is absurd. If they want you, they will get you; they won't make it highly unlikely in the end for them to actually have you. When they give you an open offer, they already have released you into the pool. I don't know if they could take you back any time they want, but it's an 'unlikely event'.

Over the last 3 years St Catz has only imported 3 people from other colleges for Maths, whereas a fair few have 8+, so no it's an invalid assumption to assume it's St Catz.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, but St Catz has got the highest number of students so theoretically the chance of getting allocated there is higher.

To compare, The Queen's College has got 349 undergraduates whilst St Catz has got 506. Rumour has it that they've also got fewer applicants.

If anyone is interested in the exact statistics, http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate-admissions-statistics/college-success-rates

If we take the statistics for 2013, purely comparing number of applications to the number of offers made, Catz is more popular than colleges like Somerville, St Hilda's, St Peter's, Queen's, Teddy Hall, and Oriel. I'm not sure where exactly they'd rank amongst all the colleges, but they most certainly aren't scrapping the barrel.
Catz has got the highest number of students so logically there's a higher chance to be allocated there than anywhere else, especially if the rumour about them having fewer applicants is true.

By the results day stage, the number of applicants has nothing to do with it.
Original post by mishieru07
If anyone is interested in the exact statistics, http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate-admissions-statistics/college-success-rates

If we take the statistics for 2013, purely comparing number of applications to the number of offers made, Catz is more popular than colleges like Somerville, St Hilda's, St Peter's, Queen's, Teddy Hall, and Oriel. I'm not sure where exactly they'd rank amongst all the colleges, but they most certainly aren't scrapping the barrel.

It actually lists Catz as one of the colleges with the most imports...So maybe they shouldn't expect to be at Catz, but be at one of Catz, Somerville, St Hugh's, St Hilda's, or St Peter's.

But in any case, expect the least to be going back to the college(s) interviewed.
It actually lists Catz as one of the colleges with the most imports...So maybe they shouldn't expect to be at Catz, but be at one of Catz, Somerville, St Hugh's, St Hilda's, or St Peter's.

But in any case, expect the least to be going back to the college(s) interviewed.

Your point was that they had fewer applicants (relative to their intake I imagine, otherwise comparison with other colleges would be unfair). The statistics suggest that they don't.

Imports are a slightly different story because in theory, a college can get a lot of applicants but decide that they'd rather take applicants from elsewhere if their own pool isn't up to scratch. In other words, it's influenced by another factor: the quality of applicants.

In any case, imports refer to students who got an offer from a college which they did not choose initially, and isn't directly relevant to the question of where do open offerees go, because the latter depends on who missed their offers and where (unless you're suggesting that imports are more likely to miss their offers). At the end of the day, it's just impossible to predict who will miss/ not take up an offer and thus leave a vacancy. My college underwrote 2 open offers for Law last year, and we ended up taking one of them in the end. The year before, we had 2 people miss their offers, and took no open offerees.
Original post by mishieru07
Your point was that they had fewer applicants (relative to their intake I imagine, otherwise comparison with other colleges would be unfair). The statistics suggest that they don't.

Imports are a slightly different story because in theory, a college can get a lot of applicants but decide that they'd rather take applicants from elsewhere if their own pool isn't up to scratch. In other words, it's influenced by another factor: the quality of applicants.

In any case, imports refer to students who got an offer from a college which they did not choose initially, and isn't directly relevant to the question of where do open offerees go, because the latter depends on who missed their offers and where (unless you're suggesting that imports are more likely to miss their offers). At the end of the day, it's just impossible to predict who will miss/ not take up an offer and thus leave a vacancy. My college underwrote 2 open offers for Law last year, and we ended up taking one of them in the end. The year before, we had 2 people miss their offers, and took no open offerees.

Yes, so the rumour was wrong. But I was saying it's not far-fetched to say St Catz is a likely scenario. But most importantly, the college(s) interviewed is/are the least likely scenario.

I know imports are not necessarily open offers, but they are included in the numbers.
(edited 9 years ago)
UCAS updated with my offer yesterday. YES. They cannot take this from me now.
Yes, so the rumour was wrong. But I was saying it's not far-fetched to say St Catz is a likely scenario. But most importantly, the college(s) interviewed is/are the least likely scenario.

I know imports are not necessarily open offers, but they are included in the numbers.

There's no reason to think that colleges with more imports would take more open offer holders. Colleges with fewer applicants will be sending out just as many offers per place as those with more applicants. They're not going to randomly rely on open offers when they could just make direct offers.

The chance of ending up at Catz is therefore about 4%. And a nice place it is too :biggrin:
Yeah, they want you so much even though you've chosen them, they've decided to not give you a place unless they absolutely need to (ie no other colleges have a place for you).

Not even the official beautified version of explaining what open offer is said the college wants you - they said your place at Oxford is guaranteed, but you won't know which college you're going to unless your results are released.

They obviously don't hate you or anything, but if you've got an open offer, it's quite obvious that you are not one of their first choices.

The bolded part is silly - you're phrasing it as if they already have you, but will generously give you up if another college asks. The reality is they want you at Oxford but not sure about giving you a place at college over the *** people they're getting this year, so they'll see if another college wants you. If not, they'll have you, but it's unlikely that nobody will want you.

The college making an open offer will certainly take the student if one of the conditional offer holders does not meet the offer, or if any offer holder (conditional or unconditional) withdraws or asks to defer. The college will also take the open offer holder if the rate of attrition across the rest of the collegiate university does not absorb all the open offers in a subject. The odds of one of these scenarios occurring is actually quite high.

Unfortunately, there are simply not enough places for all of the highly qualified candidates who apply. The margin between those gaining a place and those just missing out is small. There would of course be fewer places without open offers, which would not be in anyone's interest.

Latest

Trending

Trending