The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mariamgy
Congrats! I'm on my 18th week, still haven't heard from them.

18th?! :confused: They sure know how to keep a lady waiting...
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Econ95
I applied in October and still haven't heard anything :/ anyone else??

Same, well I've had the 8 week and 4 week emails of course
Reply 2742
Original post by powelsmartin
Maybe that is the reason but it doesn't make the prospects any worse.

I agree that Cambridge is better, which is one of the reasons why I applied to Oxford (I thought it would be easier to get an offer). The economics course at Cambridge seems much more interesting but I also wanted a larger proportion of philosophy to break up all that maths.
Since I didn't apply there, Cambridge is not an option and LSE definitely looks much more appealing than Oxford.

LSE is better than Oxford for sure and it is better than Cambridge for jobs. If I did apply Cambridge, I still would have probably picked LSE cos of jobs.
Original post by ETRC
LSE is better than Oxford for sure and it is better than Cambridge for jobs. If I did apply Cambridge, I still would have probably picked LSE cos of jobs.

Yes! Thanks for that!
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
18th?! :confused: They sure know how to keep a lady waiting...

Ahaha oh well, at least someone understands! Guess there is nothing I could do about it.
Original post by Econ95
I applied in October and still haven't heard anything :/ anyone else??

*raises hand*

Nothing, other than the 8- and 4-week emails. The latter ends next Friday, so thank goodness for that - the nerves are horrid.
Hello.

I am new to this forum but I really really need HELP!

I hold offers from Oxford University for PPE and from LSE for Philosophy and Economics and I am having trouble to decide which one of them to select as my firm choice.

My school teachers are pushing me towards Oxford I think because it will look good for Ofsted and I feel like I have gone through a lot of trouble (TSA, interviews, etc) only for Oxford. Also when I was there the town felt enchanted.

But I feel that my heart lies with LSE. These are my reasons:

-The job prospects seem to be much better - the course, despite lacking compulsory politics, looks more interesting and applicable to today.
-Despite Oxford's magical aura, I think London may be more advantageous at the end of the day - there is more to do on a daily basis and I can find a job more easily, both during my studies if I need to and afterwards.
-Also I feel that LSE will provide me with a better student experience. Oxford's education from what I heard is overwhelming and you do not have time to enjoy yourself during your studies. The traditional aspect of Oxford (formal hall etc) looks appealing but I have been told that this is only interesting in the beginning.
-The reputation of LSE is improving and of Oxford diminishing slowly from what I can see. I want to be ahead in life and so maybe LSE will be better for this.

As you can see, I personally prefer LSE but I am having trouble declining Oxford because of the "excitement" created around it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Martin

There's your decision right there; LSE without a shadow of a doubt!
Original post by tomixox
There's your decision right there; LSE without a shadow of a doubt!

Indeed, looks like it is! I just want to be absolute sure about this.
Original post by hannah.t
*raises hand*

Nothing, other than the 8- and 4-week emails. The latter ends next Friday, so thank goodness for that - the nerves are horrid.

Exactly the same
Bad idea to choose to spend three years studying a course just because of the alumni it's produced

Not really. Alumni highlight potential careers, and can act as a great source of contacts which can help towards securing a job.

Aren't all those alumni from rich backgrounds? I am looking at all the politicians which were well off enough initially to even join the Bullington club. Also Oxford is much older so it had many more centuries to produce these alumni.

What kind of doors will Oxford open that LSE won't?

Thank you.

Martin

And LSE doesn't have people from rich backgrounds?

Well if you look at the stats you'll see that the vast majority of the elite positions in law, civil service, the cabinet, diplomacy, MBB consulting etc. are still taken up by Oxbridge graduates. It's just a matter of fact. But I suppose if you just want to go into Investment Banking (like everyone else on this thread) then you won't lose much by going to LSE. Firm what you want mate... your life :smile:.

Original post by ETRC
LSE is better than Oxford for sure and it is better than Cambridge for jobs.

It's perfectly fine to prefer one uni to another but let's not delude ourselves here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Not really. Alumni highlight potential careers, and can act as a great source of contacts which can help towards securing a job.

Well if you look at the stats you'll see that the vast majority of the elite positions in law, civil service, the cabinet, diplomacy, MBB consulting etc. are still taken up by Oxbridge graduates. It's just a matter of fact. But I suppose if you just want to go into Investment Banking (like everyone else on this thread) then you won't lose much by going to LSE. Firm what you want mate... your life :smile:.

It's perfectly fine to prefer one uni to another but let's not delude ourselves here.

Oxford PPE tbf has been slated on this thread and it is the best PPE course in the uk, but obvs for IB LSE comes first

Well if you look at the stats you'll see that the vast majority of the elite positions in law, civil service, the cabinet, diplomacy, MBB consulting etc. are still taken up by Oxbridge graduates. It's just a matter of fact. But I suppose if you just want to go into Investment Banking (like everyone else on this thread) then you won't lose much by going to LSE.

To be clear, I meant old money - most of which traditionally prefer Oxbridge and essentially already have their future careers set for them. Which is precisely why the cabinet is mostly Oxbridge graduates.

I personally want to go into economics and by extension its philosophical implications, although I'm not quite sure whether industry or academia will be right. Do you honestly think that the London School of ECONOMICS will disadvantage you in such a career path relative to Oxford?

And on what basis do you assume that everyone at LSE wants to go into investment banking?
Don't let the people on here who think Oxbridge is the meaning of life steer your judgement. I don't think you will be that much if any disadvantage picking LSE over Oxford.
Yes, everyone knows Oxbridge is a good school academically but believe it or not, some people actually do value things aside academia such as university life and if that means rejecting Oxbridge, so be it.
To be clear, I meant old money - most of which traditionally prefer Oxbridge and essentially already have their future careers set for them. Which is precisely why the cabinet is mostly Oxbridge graduates.

I personally want to go into economics and by extension its philosophical implications, although I'm not quite sure whether industry or academia will be right. Do you honestly think that the London School of ECONOMICS will disadvantage you in such a career path relative to Oxford?

And on what basis do you assume that everyone at LSE wants to go into investment banking?

It's the unwritten rule of LSE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovmHfMKHuY8
Original post by jchap9776
Oxford PPE tbf has been slated on this thread and it is the best PPE course in the uk, but obvs for IB LSE comes first

The irony of this thread most people feel they're well informed to give advice on IB when they haven't even gone through the recruitment process themselves, or even yet attended a university :rolleyes:

You asked about career prospects in general, I gave you my answer. If you're soo certain LSE is right for you then why did you feel the need to pose the question in the first place? I personally don't care where you go, I have nothing to do with either of the two unis, I'm just laying the facts out to you.

Guess you haven't been on this forum long enough then...
(edited 9 years ago)
The irony of this thread most people feel they're well informed to give advice on IB when they haven't even gone through the recruitment process themselves, or even yet attended a university :rolleyes:

You asked about career prospects in general, I gave you my answer. If you're soo certain LSE is right for you then why did you feel the need to pose the question in the first place?

Guess you haven't been on this forum long enough then...

I just joined, haha! As I've said before, I just want to be absolutely certain I'm making the right choice especially since I have been met with resistance by my school.
It's the unwritten rule of LSE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovmHfMKHuY8

I love how they label it a 'problem', great banter though, the c1 100ums cracks me up every time lol
Ok. For future references it would've been better if you started a new thread on this, to get more rational responses, rather than post it on the "LSE entry 2015" thread where most peeps would obvs be biased, being Oxford rejects and all.

Lol, who cares if we're oxbridge rejects, I personally think LSE is on a par and did so before my cambridge application although my thoughts would be that oxbridge is once in a lifetime opportunity and despite the London advantages of lse, everyone gets the chance to live in London. Nothing worse than oxbridge students getting all high and mighty when they're assessed on different (but arguably more important) criteria to London applicants
Ok. For future references it would've been better if you started a new thread on this, to get more rational responses, rather than post it on the "LSE entry 2015" thread where most peeps would obvs be biased, being Oxford rejects and all.

That's why I also posted it in the Oxford thread - I thought I'll get more responses this way! And to be honest the responses I got on there were of more or less the same tone, there even were some people with the same dilemma.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomixox
Don't let the people on here who think Oxbridge is the meaning of life steer your judgement. I don't think you will be that much if any disadvantage picking LSE over Oxford.
Yes, everyone knows Oxbridge is a good school academically but believe it or not, some people actually do value things aside academia such as university life and if that means rejecting Oxbridge, so be it.

Nothing worse than people who bought into the indoctrination that Oxbridge is the best two unis in the uk. If people had an open mind they'd realise there are unis on a par with them
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending