The Student Room Group

Why should it be acceptable for women to look like this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Chriswhjay
More to the point why is it becoming accepted that fat is good?

Our bodies are NOT designed to be obese or severely overweight. It leads to problems with most of your internal organs, puts excess stress of the legs and joints, and can cause diabetes which leads to a whole new plethora of problems! All this nonsense about curvy being sexy is one thing, and fair enough if people like their women curvy thats their prerogative. But I find it dreadful that we are getting to the stage in a society whereby fat people are being celebrated for being fat as if its something they should be proud about.

Our body's are not designed to be ludicrously thin either, nor are they designed to be lifting weights all day, nor are they designed to be botoxed, they are not designed to be wearing clothes or shoes. Our brains are not developed to solve the mysteries of the universe.

YOU ARE A COMPLETE FOOL.
Meh it's her body she can do what she wants with it. However...

She should not try and portray herself as some kind of role model and encourage young women to disregard their health in a serious way.
Original post by donutellme
Where do all these rights keep coming from??

And what about freedom of speech and freedom to offend and all that?

freedom to offend?
last time i heard that wasn't a thing.
Original post by EatAndRevise
Troll?

Being 200lbs overweight is extremely unhealthy.

Original post by Blue_Mason
In what way is it good for kids?
Kids are bombarded to eat crap on a daily basis
You're either trolling or....I just can't .....

/s

i thought it was very obvious
Original post by TurboCretin
Who said it was?

if op was talking about fat people in general he could have asked "why is it acceptable for people to look like this?"
he's specifically targeting women.
Original post by sherlockfan
if op was talking about fat people in general he could have asked "why is it acceptable for people to look like this?"

Because body positivism is targeted towards women. And body positivism is what his post is against.
Original post by KingStannis
Because body positivism is targeted towards women. And body positivism is what his post is against.

no idea what youre talking about but ok. :confused:
Original post by MaseratiJay
Did you not read the bit where it says she trains four days a week?

Are you sure that's not that she is a train four times a week?
Reply 68
To be fair, she has more sex appeal than a girl that's 6 stone or something ridiculous like that.

Original post by Drewski
Are you sure that's not that she is a train four times a week?

Yawn
Original post by slg60
Our body's are not designed to be ludicrously thin either, nor are they designed to be lifting weights all day, nor are they designed to be botoxed, they are not designed to be wearing clothes or shoes. Our brains are not developed to solve the mysteries of the universe.

YOU ARE A COMPLETE FOOL.

Whenever someone criticises the obese the common response is "Oh yeah, well you're not meant to be a little twig either!", and of course not, but there's a healthy medium. Anyone who is satisfied with being obese, slow, lethargic, and generally unfit, is a fool.

An impressive and powerful body is something to be proud of. It is a sign of dedication, physical ability, and most often improves someone's confidence. Having 250lbs of fat on your body just shows that you're lazy and that you don't care about yourself.
no idea what youre talking about but ok. :confused:

You haven't? It's not so much a "thing" I guess. But there is certainly a pervasive idea out there that we should stop judging girls on their weight and stuff, it pops up in a few songs, etc and is basically getting more popular. Now, I agree that anorexia etc should be discouraged, but I disagree that the other end of the scale is somehow acceptable.

You won't hear any of these attitudes in reference to obese males. And rightly so. being fat is a problem, it has a solution, and we should encourage people to take up the solution, whether through education or tax incentives.
I will never understand why people treat the size of other people's bodies as a moral issue. It's her body and her health - as long as we provide people with the right information and help if they want it then it's no-one else's business what size she is. It's not encouraging other women to be to her size - we live in a society where being thin is still the beauty ideal so you guys worrying about women aspiring to look like her by going to McDonalds every night can calm down. The reason why people worry about girls being influenced by very underweight models is because that image is so pervasive and so ingrained in our society as the only way to be beautiful. Fat models provide an alternative to that.
Original post by ArtGoblin
I will never understand why people treat the size of other people's bodies as a moral issue. It's her body and her health - as long as we provide people with the right information and help if they want it then it's no-one else's business what size she is. It's not encouraging other women to be to her size - we live in a society where being thin is still the beauty ideal so you guys worrying about women aspiring to look like her by going to McDonalds every night can calm down. The reason why people worry about girls being influenced by very underweight models is because that image is so pervasive and so ingrained in our society as the only way to be beautiful. Fat models provide an alternative to that.

Why fat or plus sized?
Why not averagely sized women?
Fighting an extreme, with another extreme is backwards.
I'm just going to ignore the fact that what you find acceptable does no dictate how someone else should look...

Anyway, I just read about this woman being signed by a modelling agency. I don't see it is a victory for body image though. Models are too thin, yes. But why from one extreme to another? Why can't models be 10/12? That's a normal, healthy size. Why aim for size 6 or 24? I do not understand.
Original post by slg60

YOU ARE A COMPLETE FOOL.

Erm.... Okay.

Did I actually say in my answer that the human body was designed to be thin? I said the human body is not designed to be OBESE OR SEVERELY OVERWEIGHT which is in relation to this thread. Ofcourse the human body isn't designed to be kept at either extremes.

The other examples you said are by the by, comparing wearing shoes or clothes to being stupidly overweight is a pathetic argument, and as for our brains being not developed to solve the mysteries of the universe, I'm pretty sure we're having a good crack at that, dont generalise just because your brain isn't as developed.. cough.

And as for your caps lock insult - I am not a complete fool. In fact, I'm the opposite. Being a liberal PC warrior with an attitude of lets not offend anyone has got us to the point where our population is on the verge of an obesity crisis. The health figures scream it; heart disease is on the increase, as is the amount of people living with type two diabetes.

Insult me all you like, but the truth of the issue is that from a medical perspective, being overweight or obese (or underweight as you so said) is NOT HEALTHY; and the sooner society starts to realise this the sooner we can stem the growing issue of obesity related diseases / deaths.
Something went wrong in her level of food consumption.
Original post by Airfairy
I'm just going to ignore the fact that what you find acceptable does no dictate how someone else should look...

Anyway, I just read about this woman being signed by a modelling agency. I don't see it is a victory for body image though. Models are too thin, yes. But why from one extreme to another? Why can't models be 10/12? That's a normal, healthy size. Why aim for size 6 or 24? I do not understand.

I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and play sports 2-3. I do this for myself and nobody else, just as others are completely free to do what they choose to.

However with that said, I have a lot of family that work in NHS; a doctor, physiotherapist, nurse and an OT. They all have the same opinion that obesity will cripple the NHS financially due to the complications that are associated with it. The nurse even injured their back badly due to having to work with an obese patient recently. My personal opinion is that they should be offered help so long as they are willing, and if they don't show signs of that then priorities are given to other willing patients.
Reply 78
Original post by Chriswhjay
Erm.... Okay.

Did I actually say in my answer that the human body was designed to be thin? I said the human body is not designed to be OBESE OR SEVERELY OVERWEIGHT which is in relation to this thread. Ofcourse the human body isn't designed to be kept at either extremes.

The other examples you said are by the by, comparing wearing shoes or clothes to being stupidly overweight is a pathetic argument, and as for our brains being not developed to solve the mysteries of the universe, I'm pretty sure we're having a good crack at that, dont generalise just because your brain isn't as developed.. cough.

And as for your caps lock insult - I am not a complete fool. In fact, I'm the opposite. Being a liberal PC warrior with an attitude of lets not offend anyone has got us to the point where our population is on the verge of an obesity crisis. The health figures scream it; heart disease is on the increase, as is the amount of people living with type two diabetes.

Insult me all you like, but the truth of the issue is that from a medical perspective, being overweight or obese (or underweight as you so said) is NOT HEALTHY; and the sooner society starts to realise this the sooner we can stem the growing issue of obesity related diseases / deaths.

I find it hilarious that you implied that I am stupid, with the cough, yet you did not understand the argument I put forward :bigsmile:, I said that we are not designed to solve the mysteries of the universe, yet we are.

Another illustration of your idocy is that you thing liberal is an insult, being a liberal is not being selfish, its about caring about others, rather than caring about your money, like the right wing. In essence you tried to insult me by saying I'm empathetic... Good job, truly.

His post is targeting progenitors and beneficiaries of fat acceptance. You cannot deny that the issue revolves around women. Most fat men fully accept that their weight is not acceptable - they might maintain that it's nobody else's business, but they don't try to excuse it.

Quick Reply

Latest