The Student Room Group

Rescued from a forced marriage in Pakistan

Just starting to watch this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b051cglx/panorama-rescued-from-a-forced-marriage

The documentary/news article is about rescuing young girls who have been forced in to marriage, in Pakistan. So far, it says nothing about guys however...

Any way, thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Usually guys aren't forced into a marriage it's the girls. Haven't watched it is it good?
It's dreadful that "arranged" marriages still take place.
Original post by neal95
Usually guys aren't forced into a marriage it's the girls. Haven't watched it is it good?

Guys are to . Its pretty good. Highlights some issues
Original post by Skip_Snip
It's dreadful that "arranged" marriages still take place.

Arranged marriages aren't for me but there's nothing wrong with arranged marriages. There's a difference between forced marriages and arranged marriages

The documentary also talks about the law and what it means ie: 77% of people wouldn't want to incriminate their family members
Original post by The_Internet
Arranged marriages aren't for me but there's nothing wrong with arranged marriages. There's a difference between forced marriages and arranged marriages

The documentary also talks about the law and what it means ie: 77% of people wouldn't want to incriminate their family members

Sure, I've heard them compared to fix ups.

But with a fix up, there's no real expectation, it's a case of "maybe they'll hook up!" not "they should get married!"
I saw this earlier today. Forced marriage is terrible, but I don't see it stopping anytime soon. It is now a criminal offence in the UK so hopefully the amount of forced marriages in the UK goes down. I feel so bad for all the girls that are victims of this. :sad:
Original post by moment of truth
I saw this earlier today. Forced marriage is terrible, but I don't see it stopping anytime soon. It is now a criminal offence in the UK so hopefully the amount of forced marriages in the UK goes down. I feel so bad for all the girls that are victims of this. :sad:

so is FGM, but there's all those squillions of cases in that Birmingham (surprise) hospital, with no talk of arrests...
so is FGM, but there's all those squillions of cases in that Birmingham (surprise) hospital, with no talk of arrests...

The problem with it, which I saw in the programme, is that the girls that are being used for the forced marriages are reluctant to tell the authorities if there is a chance that their family may be put in prison for the crime.
Original post by moment of truth
The problem with it, which I saw in the programme, is that the girls that are being used for the forced marriages are reluctant to tell the authorities if there is a chance that their family may be put in prison for the crime.

You're probably right to be fair. But they could grow a backbone and make an empty threat.
You're probably right to be fair. But they could grow a backbone and make an empty threat.

That's even worse, cos then they know their up to something.

They usually do a few things, particularly emotional blackmail.....the other being oh we are going on holiday, etc.
Empty threat can lead to violence or make it worse.

If their parents are serious, best way to get out is quietly without them thinking she's against it.
Original post by Iqbal007

Empty threat can lead to violence or make it worse.

Trying to force someone to marry against their will, and being physically violent ... they don't love their daughter. Get the ****ers arrested.
I watched this. I find it so hard to understand the mindset of people who put family 'honour' and image over the safety and wellbeing of their own flesh and blood. I heard on the programme that some parents do it because they don't want their daughter becoming too westernised. It begs the question; why on earth did they come to live in a western culture in the first place, if they don't want their children to be part of the culture all around them?
criminalising it in the UK is a good idea but realistically, i don't think the numbers of girls complaining to the police will suddenly rise. Family is crucial and pretty much above everything in asian populations
Trying to force someone to marry against their will, and being physically violent ... they don't love their daughter. Get the ****ers arrested.

A lot of people are unwilling to confront it.......also doesn't affect girls only,does happen to guys quite a bit as well.
Some girls are able to leave quietly with the support of other family members, etc

As long as they don't leave the country they should be safe.
Original post by Veggiechic6
I watched this. I find it so hard to understand the mindset of people who put family 'honour' and image over the safety and wellbeing of their own flesh and blood. I heard on the programme that some parents do it because they don't want their daughter becoming too westernised. It begs the question; why on earth did they come to live in a western culture in the first place, if they don't want their children to be part of the culture all around them?

I have heard that.............but the bigger reasons I think is this whole "but what will they think", it's all about how others will perceive them back home rather than doing the right thing. The next issue after that is also related to the first reason I gave which is ""other family", this emotional blackmail and family blackmail and parents get caught up into it and do the marriage to the relative thing.
Original post by Iqbal007
I have heard that.............but the bigger reasons I think is this whole "but what will they think", it's all about how others will perceive them back home rather than doing the right thing. The next issue after that is also related to the first reason I gave which is ""other family", this emotional blackmail and family blackmail and parents get caught up into it and do the marriage to the relative thing.
Well, if a parent's unconditional love for their daughter can't overcome all these issues, it's a very sorry state of affairs indeed. I also would have thought that in these families, most likely the mother would have also had a forced marriage when she was younger. You'd think she'd empathize and do what it took to stop her daughter going through the same experience. As an outsider looking in, I find it very hard to understand, it's at odds with my understanding of love and family.
its their culture and their women its not my business as far as im concerned
Original post by matthewduncan
its their culture and their women its not my business as far as im concerned

"Their women"? Aren't they their own individuals?
Reply 19
I found this docu really interesting - and I must admit that if I was a 19 yo Pakistani British girl and my parents said 'hey let's go visit the rellies in Pakistan this summer' I think I would defo smell a rat. I did think it was good that they have a charity giving talks in assembly to the pupils of multi cultural schools to raise awareness of this practise - without doubt, education and awareness is the best way to bring about social change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending