The Student Room Group

Both my parents haven't worked since the 1980s and I've got a Cambridge offer AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asexual Demigod
Their loss. And that just goes to show how much more dedicated and motivated I am compared to others.

Yes it does.

Exams don't measure intelligence at all. They measure motivation.

rote learning a subject doesn't make you intelligent.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Plastic Face
Yes it does.

Exams don't measure intelligence at all. They measure motivation.

rote learning a subject doesn't make you intelligent.

I didn't say that was the case. I'm just saying that if it is motivation that distinguishes me and other higher achievers from low achievers, then motivation should be prized and highly valued instead.

Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Why?

Some people are happier having fun rather than getting good grades

You can have fun and get good grades.
(edited 9 years ago)

Yes you can, but you're not doing either :holmes:

Have you ever thought about why you're so motivated?

I don't want to make assumptions but I can take a pretty good guess at why so many highly ''motivated'' individuals are so motivated.
I didn't say that was the case. I'm just saying that if it is motivation that distinguishes me and other higher achievers from low achievers, then motivation should be prized and highly valued instead.

I don't get what you're saying here.
Yes you can, but you're not doing either :holmes:

Have you ever thought about why you're so motivated?

I don't want to make assumptions but I can take a pretty good guess at why so many highly ''motivated'' individuals are so motivated.

Not doing either? Getting 3 A*s at A Level isn't good grades? A* is literally the highest grade. If getting an A* is bad, then surely every grade is bad? Am I missing something?
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't get what you're saying here.

It's pretty simple. If you work hard and get good grades, go to a good university and have better job prospects, then the working hard is what should be valued?
It's pretty simple. If you work hard and get good grades, go to a good university and have better job prospects, then the working hard is what should be valued?

Well obviously yes? :confused:

What's your point? Was that it?
Well obviously yes? :confused:

What's your point? Was that it?

Yes...
Yes...

But you do understand that A levels are by no means a measure of intelligence for lots of reasons. While the content is quite basic (Newton's theory of gravity in physics for example), students themselves may not be able to revise due to family and personal problems.
Not doing either? Getting 3 A*s at A Level isn't good grades? A* is literally the highest grade. If getting an A* is bad, then surely every grade is bad? Am I missing something?

I'm talking about now you're at uni :holmes:

You only did 3 A-levels? Most people ''like you'' normally do 4 at least
I'm talking about now you're at uni :holmes:

You only did 3 A-levels? Most people ''like you'' normally do 4 at least

You don't know anything about how well I'm doing at university.

So what? I did 3 and got the highest grades possible.
Reply 151
I only read the first few replies and don't really have time to read all 8 pages.

But am I right in thinking that his parents had to be interviewed too as part of the application process? That is what I am getting from one of his replies?

I think that is totally wrong if they reject him based on his parents. Or am I missing something here?
But you do understand that A levels are by no means a measure of intelligence for lots of reasons. While the content is quite basic (Newton's theory of gravity in physics for example), students themselves may not be able to revise due to family and personal problems.

Yes. I had significant personal problems and I still got the top grades?
You don't know anything about how well I'm doing at university.

So what? I did 3 and got the highest grades possible.

Actually I do because you mentioned it once.....

Well technically you didn't get 100% in all of them so you didn't get the highest grades possible :holmes:
What college did you apply for @ Durham?

I applied for John Snow
Original post by lxbsly
I only read the first few replies and don't really have time to read all 8 pages.

But am I right in thinking that his parents had to be interviewed too as part of the application process? That is what I am getting from one of his replies?

I think that is totally wrong if they reject him based on his parents. Or am I missing something here?

The OP made reference to his parents because it's very rare for a child from a working class (unemployed) background to gain entry into Oxbridge.

It was nothing more than a 'look at me, I'm super special'. His parents had nothing to do with his application process I'm sure.
Actually I do because you mentioned it once.....

Well technically you didn't get 100% in all of them so you didn't get the highest grades possible :holmes:

? There is no such thing as an A** as far as I'm aware. So I did get the highest grades... You're just making yourself sound stupid now.
Yes. I had significant personal problems and I still got the top grades?

What's your point?
? There is no such thing as an A** as far as I'm aware. So I did get the highest grades... You're just making yourself sound stupid now.

i cba to read all the posts.

A* is the highest grade at A2.

What university did u go to?
Original post by Yellow636
i cba to read all the posts.

A* is the highest grade at A2.

What university did u go to?

Yes, I know that. The other poster clearly doesn't though.

Quick Reply

Latest