The Student Room Group

Alliance Francaise? Opinions?

Hey,

I need to get to fluent in French at least C1 and pushing onto C2. Has anyone done a course with the Alliance Francaise here? I'm looking to go to the one in London.

Do they justify the price tag?

Thank you,
Original post by matt4
Hey,

I need to get to fluent in French at least C1 and pushing onto C2. Has anyone done a course with the Alliance Francaise here? I'm looking to go to the one in London.

Do they justify the price tag?

Thank you,

The Alliance Française has a deserved reputation. I don't know about London, admittedly, but AF courses in France are amongst the best and well worth the price.

You could also have a look at the courses run in London by the French Institute (http://www.institut-francais.org.uk/french-courses) - I know several people who've been on courses there and they speak highly of it. I don't know how the two compare with prices - the AF is a private organisation, the French Institute is government-funded; but that might not make any difference.
Reply 2
Merci!

It seems IF is a bit more expensive (unless I book early) being a student right now its tough. None of the great places to learn French are affordable for me. Gah, I'm going to see where I am in May. It would be great if some of these places did payment plans even. Oh well..
Hopefully financially I will have saved enough to take me right through to C2 level.

Thank you,
Reply 3
Original post by matt4
X

£300 for 30 hours would be cheaper than uni.
Reply 4
Original post by Josb
£300 for 30 hours would be cheaper than uni.

Indeed! Just need to save and save now.
Reply 5
I really don't know what organisation to choose. Just know I need the results.
I have started saving! :smile:
Reply 6
Any recommendations on what course would be best? Once a week or twice a week?
Reply 7
Original post by matt4
Any recommendations on what course would be best? Once a week or twice a week?

Twice a week seems better to learn a language, you may forget what you've learn the previous week if you don't practise more than once a week.
Reply 8
Going to bump this...

Coming to the end of my A1.1 with the Institut Francais. I feel I've gained a lot from it but really need to commit more time outside the lessons for language study.

Also I struggle a lot with the grammar. Even more then I thought I would!

One thing that was slightly annoying was having to purchase your own course books. Didn't receive any email saying I would need to purchase any. Apparently some others had though? All I did get was a receipt. It does state on the Institut Francais what books you need but it's a little concealed. Alliance Francaise provide their course books. Just a small issue though. The real benefits are the Institut Francais membership which I have yet to make full use of.

I realised on Thursday that I don't receive my bi-monthly magazine. Emailed them for this too.

Can someone please provide an insight into what it's like with Alliance Francais?

Overall, it's been expensive but I kind of reawakened my vocab. One thing I really would like is the Institut to assist with finding me some networking groups to meet French speakers. At this level though it's hardly of any use. I need to progress to at least something more conversational to meet people.

Keeping self motivation up is important because it can feel like I'm not getting anywhere. I mean getting to a good conversational level is a slow process, like a marathon. Most important thing is not to give up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending