The Student Room Group

A2 English Literature Coursework

I'm just about to start my English Literature A2 coursework and I wondered if anyone else was too?

My question is:

"Compare and contrast the consequences of love in Shakespeare’s ‘Romeo and Juliet’ (1597), Sylvia Plath’s ‘Ariel’ (1965) and F. Scott Fitzgerald’s ‘The Great Gatsby’ (1925)"

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this? What ideas I could explore between the texts?
I am also curious to know how you would begin writing this essay, I have attempted several times, and I can't seem to write a good introduction, and I really would like to achieve a high grade on this work and to do so, an outstanding introduction would be required!

If you would like to share your coursework questions too or if anyone else needs help, i'd be happy to lend you my opinion!
I'm afraid I don't know two of your texts well enough to help, but I've posted my comparative coursework on one of my threads if you'd like an idea of what to include in the introduction etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by livtheblondie
I'm just about to start my English Literature A2 coursework and I wondered if anyone else was too?

My question is:

"Compare and contrast the consequences of love in Shakespeare’s ‘Romeo and Juliet’ (1597), Sylvia Plath’s ‘Ariel’ (1965) and F. Scott Fitzgerald’s ‘The Great Gatsby’ (1925)"

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this? What ideas I could explore between the texts?
I am also curious to know how you would begin writing this essay, I have attempted several times, and I can't seem to write a good introduction, and I really would like to achieve a high grade on this work and to do so, an outstanding introduction would be required!

If you would like to share your coursework questions too or if anyone else needs help, i'd be happy to lend you my opinion!

Personally, I would defo change R&J.. That's a GCSE text... I'm surprised your teacher has not said anything to you about this. If it's not too late, I would strongly recommend you go for something like Antony and Cleopatra. Such a beautiful play. Or even King Lear!

I'm guessing you haven't even made a plan for this since you don't know where to start? That's where you should start - write a plan!
Reply 3
I'm not familiar with the Sylvia Plath, but it seems like death is going to be a major player in your essay. Basically just identify anything that you could argue is a consequence of love (i.e. the reconciliation of the Capulets and Montagues, death of Gatsby, whatever) and see how it came to that by comparing the different texts. That's what I'd do anyway.
Some tips: Don't just do a section on each text; make sure they're all interwoven. Don't lose sight of the question, it's easily done. Don't start your essay with a grand, sweeping statement. Don't ignore context, but don't focus on it either - this isn't an essay about the authors.
Not sure if it will help, but you could give this a look - it's pretty decent: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/english/study/handbook/assessment/taught/styleguide/essayguide2014-15.pdf
I'm in agreement with switching R&J, maybe also consider choosing a specific poem from 'Ariel' too. Talking about a whole collection of poetry may reduce the amount of depth that you'll be able to go into. Impossible task to analyse form, structure and language of so many texts with a word limit :smile:
The word limit is 3,000.

I have spoken to my teacher and I have swapped R&J for Antony and Cleopatra.

My teacher suggested changing my title to "Compare and contrast the presentation of indomitable love", opinions on that?
Original post by livtheblondie
The word limit is 3,000.

I have spoken to my teacher and I have swapped R&J for Antony and Cleopatra.

My teacher suggested changing my title to "Compare and contrast the presentation of indomitable love", opinions on that?

What did you do with your teacher? Surely you must have gone and studied at least 1 text with your teacher as a class?

I like the title of your coursework. I think it's a bit plain though. Perhaps you could find a literary critic to put in your title, relating to indomitable love?
The God of Small Things.

We are doing Antony and Cleopatra at the minute.

What exactly do you mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending