Find what harder?

D1 apparently it was harder
I'm sitting it this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
D1 apparently it was harder
I'm sitting it this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right. They probably were harder but I think different is a better word. This was a common theme I think amongst a lot of last year's papers, not just D1 (certainly it was the case in most of my Maths and Physics exams). In D1 in particular, there was some actual algebra in the paper last year which never cropped up in a past paper before. There was also another question I think (can't remember what it was though) that was totally new.
So I got a conditional (AAA) offer for History & English at Pembroke three and a half weeks ago now, but it's only just starting to sink in? I keep stopping in the middle of whatever I'm doing and thinking '!!!' - I mean, credulity & reaction time aren't listed in the admissions criteria, right?
Original post by mercurien
So I got a conditional (AAA) offer for History & English at Pembroke three and a half weeks ago now, but it's only just starting to sink in? I keep stopping in the middle of whatever I'm doing and thinking '!!!' - I mean, credulity & reaction time aren't listed in the admissions criteria, right?

Ha! "This offer is conditional on you coming to terms with it's awesome-ness in 34 minutes, starting NOW!"
Original post by the1akshay
So, has everybody firmed and insured? I'm still waiting on LSE before I can, but I'm in a bit of a dilemma since Oxford's got the lowest entry requirements out of any of my choices at AAA instead of A*AA like the others. I'm not sure whom I'm going to set as my insurance, but I was thinking it might be wise to pick the most flexible university. Between York, UCL and Durham, though, I have no idea who might be flexible...

If someone knows better then please correct me, but I have read that Durham delays their decisions on appeals (where someone has just missed their offer) so long that some students lose out on any possibility of a chance of a good university place through clearing?
Hey, I'm in year 12 and looking into applying to Oxford for medicine. I'd really appreciate it if any medicine offer holders could PM me if they have any advice - thanks! :smile:
Original post by Helen_in_Ireland
If someone knows better then please correct me, but I have read that Durham delays their decisions on appeals (where someone has just missed their offer) so long that some students lose out on any possibility of a chance of a good university place through clearing?

You're right - Durham has a reputation for treating their applicants very badly on results day. They rarely let people in who have missed their offer conditions, but keep them waiting anyway
Reply 967
Original post by anonlad
You're right - Durham has a reputation for treating their applicants very badly on results day. They rarely let people in who have missed their offer conditions, but keep them waiting anyway

My daughter received an AAA* offer for Geography BA from Durham in 2013 and ended up with AAA. She had to wait a week before Durham accepted her. A bit stressful at the time but she is very happy there. She says that there are lots of other students there who missed their grades but were accepted anyway.
Course: Law
College: Magdalen
Outcome: offer, AAA
How you feel: disbelieving, waiting for the catch
Original post by exe2300
My daughter received an AAA* offer for Geography BA from Durham in 2013 and ended up with AAA. She had to wait a week before Durham accepted her. A bit stressful at the time but she is very happy there. She says that there are lots of other students there who missed their grades but were accepted anyway.

Oh really? Fair enough, although it's strange that one of the people I have in mind who was not accepted after waiting a week also applied for Geography and missed the offer with AAA. Maybe depends on how close they were to an A*?
Reply 970
Original post by anonlad
Oh really? Fair enough, although it's strange that one of the people I have in mind who was not accepted after waiting a week also applied for Geography and missed the offer with AAA. Maybe depends on how close they were to an A*?

Well sounds as though she was lucky then! I don't know how close she was to an A* but I do know that on results day the head of geography at her school emailed Durham with a very good reference so perhaps that helped. My son has just received an offer for history at Oxford and is planning on putting Durham as his insurance on the basis of his sister's experience!
Judging by people's comments, am I in the minority in doing D2?
Probably, although I'm doing D2, I don't like that fact I don't get to do FP3 or M3 at school at all. So I'm attempting to self teach these modules as well as the DE module.
I am! Self-teaching, having self-taught D1 last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jonathanyyt
Probably, although I'm doing D2, I don't like that fact I don't get to do FP3 or M3 at school at all. So I'm attempting to self teach these modules as well as the DE module.

What subject do you have an offer for?
Straight Maths. So no harm in learning those modules since there'll be a tiny overlap in content, which is always useful when I start thinking about the workload I'll be getting, might as well get a head start!
Reply 976
Hey :smile: has anyone else got an offer at Keble or for PPE?
Reply 977
A lot of people seem to be doing PPE - is it known for being a popular course at Oxford?
Reply 978
Original post by mercurien

Oooh, hi fellow Pembroke offer holder! Congrats on your offer :smile: I got an offer for Biochemistry at Pembroke and completely feel the same way, it really hasnt sunk in yet that hopefully in October I'll be going to Oxford :biggrin:
Original post by Yaz97
A lot of people seem to be doing PPE - is it known for being a popular course at Oxford?

Yep :smile: I got an offer from Oriel, and it's definitely one of the biggest courses

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending