The Student Room Group

What's your idea of a Mickey Mouse degree?

Scroll to see replies

phsycology
Any degree subject with a tremendous overlap with what people usually consider leisure activities (e.g. Disney Studies, Golf Studies, Media Studies).

Subjects worth pursuing are ones that you are good at (and that you like) but ones that also push you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by mackemforever
Utter bull****.

There are huge numbers of degree courses which do nothing to improve a persons career prospects, that do nothing more than give somebody an excuse to spend 3 years drinking and delaying joining the real world. Those are ****ing mickey mouse courses.

Unless your degree has an obvious and substantial effect on your career then it is not worth the paper it's written on.

Not to mention taxpayer funded!
Controversial, but I'd say that Media Studies and any beauty degrees are possibly the most pointless degrees ever! I believe it is possible to do a degree in Beyonce too... Don't think I'll be getting an MBey anytime soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Time wasting degree is just a waste of time..
Anything other than STEM and economics.
Animal behaviour and welfare is pretty much the only one I'm allowed to look down on as a zoology student...
Original post by lifeistoff
Controversial, but I'd say that Media Studies and any beauty degrees are possibly the most pointless degrees ever! I believe it is possible to do a degree in Beyonce too... Don't think I'll be getting an MBey anytime soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It already is possible at Harvard's Business School, comrade. :smile: Not as a course itself though! I believe it was only a case study on the diva.
(edited 9 years ago)
Economic related degrees if you don't go to a top 20 uni.
Original post by Izzyeviel
Economic related degrees if you don't go to a top 20 uni.

The same could be said for Law actually.... :smile:
Original post by Dr. Oxford
The same could be said for Law actually.... :smile:

Actually there's empirical evidence that suggests otherwise. There have been solicitors from low ranked universities; the process selection is all about how you stand out from the crowd and how you fit into your desired firm.

Economics is too impractical and too theory based, bleh...
Anything that isn't medicine... har har har
Reply 32
Original post by sherlockfan
having studied it myself: psychology.
The best manager I ever had had a psychology degree. We all knew he was a manipulative bugger, but he made you feel good about it even as he did it.
No degree.

A degree either:

a) Helps your job prospects
b) Educates you on a personal level and makes you more knowledgeable
c) Does both

All of those are good things.
Original post by Lord Baelish
No degree.

A degree either:

a) Helps your job prospects
b) Educates you on a personal level and makes you more knowledgeable
c) Does both

All of those are good things.

I'm going to put it out there that not all degrees do either of those things.
In b4 stem snobbery

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sherlockfan
I'm going to put it out there that not all degrees do either of those things.

Please tell me of a degree that doesn't increase the knowledge of the person undertaking it? Also, if someone has sufficient expertise in a field and then goes to undertake a degree only to find they know most of the course content then that is a bad decision by the student, not the course provider. People continuously make fun out of those undertaking degrees in the humanities or the arts yet those degrees will increase your knowledge of things in relation to those areas and will cover material that a lot of science, technology, engineering and maths students will have no knowledge of whatsoever, and I say that as a bachelor of science.
Reply 37
Original post by Edminzodo
In b4 stem snobbery

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too late - it's already started :rolleyes:
In b4 a follower of scientism says "philosophy" vastly ignorant of what modern British philosophy even consists of.
The term makes me cringe. It's usually used by kids who aren't particularly special within their own cohort, to try to boost themselves by saying 'well at least I don't study x, y or z, so I am a special snowflake after all'.

There are no mickey mouse degrees. There are, if the term must be applied to anything, 'mickey mouse' people. Anyone can succeed with any (or no) degree. Anyone can fail with any (or no) degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending