The Student Room Group

I'm a somali, muslim, female: AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tangledinthemist
i think its great; of course its in the best interest of both countries becuase for us, the country is bieng rebuilt and for them its a business opportunity. but at the end of the day somalia will remain as it is unless we, the somalis start getting our hands dirty and sort out our problems and move on.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. my fam is from mogadisho originally and we can't to back bc of the way it is. I asked bc alot of diaspora disagreed with turkeys ambitions about somalia but we're not the ones suffering or the ones disadvantaged, so in found it selfish.
Honestly whatever parliament we have its always about qabil and unqualified old men. Inshallah we can change that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

Gambia, spent most of my life in Ireland before coming to the UK 😃.
wa alaykum salaam. I'm from muqdishu the capitol. Where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gambia, but spent most of my life in Ireland before I came to the UK😃. Oh and *Mogadishu 😁.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Gambia, spent most of my life in Ireland before coming to the UK .

Original post by Anonynmous

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha I look nothing like that . I only spent a couple of years in Africa before coming to Europe.Life in Ireland and UK is all I can remember.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha I look nothing like that . I only spent a couple of years in Africa before coming to Europe.Life in Ireland and UK is all I can remember.

Didn't say you look like him xD I'm assuming you've seen the film.

Just... I've never heard of a Somali guy living/lived in Ireland xD
Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not from Somalia though lol.
What's the story behind your username? I like it!

What is your favourite part about your faith?
Have you ever been through periods where you doubted your beliefs?

:smile:
Original post by Anonynmous
Didn't say you look like him xD I'm assuming you've seen the film.

Just... I've never heard of a Somali guy living/lived in Ireland xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

What film in this? Gambia is in West Africa not the Horn of Africa 😊.
[QUOTE="FyzaY;53312735"]
ask me anything, i'll try my best to answer

Hi I'm a Pakistani, Muslim Female and my father is really strict about me going on trips at school when it involves me staying overnight somewhere for a few days or sometimes a week, which means I miss out on a lot when my friends go as there are lots of trips that are meant to help us with our work for example for history my class are going to Auschwitz to learn some more about what happened to the Jews there and for Spanish we are going to Barcelona to test out our Spanish and learn more about the culture, and for my CV I was offered by my school to do a Duke of Edinburgh but my father won't let me go on any of these as you have to stay overnight for a while and I know money is not the problem as he has the money and I have even offered paying myself but he says no. Now there is an army training thing that lasts for a week and I would love to go. I have accepted I couldn't go on the other trips so I'm making do with doing a lot of catch up work and practising the Spanish language but this is something I don't know if I can get over (I know I may sound like a spoilt brat as others have life a lot worse, but when my father says no I don't throw a tantrum or complain, I try to see his point and explain the positives). Are there any tips from another Muslim girl because I suspect I can't go because I'm a girl. Please help...

Salaam from a fellow sister.
Okay , you dont sound like a spoilt girl at all and i get your situation. I dont think its a matter of religion as most muslim parents are okay with this as long as there is no mixed bedroom arrangements etc. some parents are a little extra protective and also it might be becuase they are worried for your safety or even dont like the idea of sending you off with people who are not related or not of the same practices (eg praying on time) for example my parents didnt let me go to camp in year six becuase it was a mixed school but last year i went to morocco with my all girls school as there were many muslims and we woke each other up for salah.
my advice would be to talk to them about what you think and tell them you sould be safe and explain how it will increase your chances of getting into a top uni as well as lookung good on your cv etc etc. if they still say no then do your best in school and inshallah it will be okay. you said its your dad , how about speaking to your mum to convince him?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not from Somalia though lol.

Oh I assumed you were. Apologies.

EDIT - Film is Captain Phillips - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVv4xKbXRcE
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 31
ask me anything, i'll try my best to answer

Spoiler

Why do you place so many labels on yourself?
Original post by zKlown
Why do you place so many labels on yourself?

they are labels that I'm proud to be despite the negative connotations they carry in this modern society. each one of those labels faces discrimination and isolation and me being all three of them makes me a target whether its racism or islamaphobia or just gender injustice. so I feel that if I am able to be all those things in one body yet still be an example of where hard work can take you, then I guess my aim is accomplished. its not about the labels, it's about what you make of them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iammeyouareyou
What's the story behind your username? I like it!

What is your favourite part about your faith?
Have you ever been through periods where you doubted your beliefs?

:smile:

ah i wish i had a good story behind it; heres one anyway
i was high on cookies... my brain felt tangled...in the mist. rip.

my fav part of my belief is the sense of belonging i share with my millions of fellow muslims of all backgrounds and races this is at its best when you go on hajj....mind blowing diversity.
as for your second question,( grwat question btw)
periods where ive doubted my beliefs?-no.
periods where ive questioned my beliefs - constantly. as muslims we are encouraged to question everything and never take things at face value. in the quran we are constantly reminded to seek to question and explore the basis and reasons for believing in islam- to reflect and contemplate. for me thats what sets islam apart from all other beliefs, nothing is left unanswered and blindly accepted ( which i find is the case for some beliefs such as the trinity).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35

my fav part of my belief is the sense of belonging i share with my millions of fellow muslims of all backgrounds and races this is at its best when you go on hajj....mind blowing diversity.
as for your second question,( grwat question btw)
periods where ive doubted my beliefs?-no.
periods where ive questioned my beliefs - constantly. as muslims we are encouraged to question everything and never take things at face value. in the quran we are constantly reminded to seek to question and explore the basis and reasons for believing in islam- to reflect and contemplate. for me thats what sets islam apart from all other beliefs, nothing is left unanswered and blindly accepted ( which i find is the case for some beliefs such as the trinity).

Posted from TSR Mobile

:h: MashaAllah!
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Gambia, but spent most of my life in Ireland before I came to the UK. Oh and *Mogadishu .

nice to meet you, I haven't met many Gambian muslims (okay i've met none) whats gambia like? *does research on google, becomes intrigued...*
Posted from TSR Mobile

Only lived in Gambia as a small child so I don't really remember much.Sorry for long reply, I'm studying for my as exams and I do all 3 sciences and maths.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Only lived in Gambia as a small child so I don't really remember much.Sorry for long reply, I'm studying for my as exams and I do all 3 sciences and maths.

sorry for messing with your revision but do you mind if I ask what you're planning to study at uni? with those subjects i'm assuming medicine?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hoping to study medicine with a foundation year or medical physics 😄.

Quick Reply

Latest