The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by powelsmartin
Do you honestly think they care about some 4000 characters that for all they know a teacher could have written? It's certainly not an objective way of judging a candidate's potential and can just be used to demonstrate any wider reading or activities one has done to demonstrate interest in the course and preparedness for university studies.
I base this on that despite my not good at all personal statement I still got an offer.

That is what the people who have been rejected by LSE because of their personal statements are saying. They have the grades at GCSE and AS and predicted grades at A2 to warrant an offer.....
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Holdaboss
I think it would help if they allowed us to write more, I sacrificed bits of information here and there I would have loved to include, it's just annoying that these sacrifices could have cost me a place at arguably the best university for Economics in the UK.

That said hopefully UCL like my PS and give me an offer to make up for the disappointment lol :smile:

Unlucky mate when did you get your rejection and what stage where you on?
Original post by Ecoman123
Unlucky mate when did you get your rejection and what stage where you on?

Cheers mate. I was 6 weeks into my 8 week email, last friday :smile:

JamjamjamT: Haha, hopefully this means they are just finalising my offer :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Cheers mate. I was 6 weeks into my 8 week email, last friday :smile:

JamjamjamT: Haha, hopefully this means they are just finalising my offer :wink:

Hope so too mate :tongue:
I think maybe they thought 'If you care so much about banking why not go and do it?' rather than doing a degree in Economics.

Thanks, good luck to you too! Hopefully our paths cross with you entering second year and me entering the first after re applying :biggrin:

Yeah maybe, cheers :smile: let's hope so!!
Original post by JamjamjamT
That is what the people who have been rejected by LSE because of their personal statements are saying. They have the grades at GCSE and AS and predicted grades at A2 to warrant an offer.....

Maybe, I can't say I'm an expert or anything but it seems as if the ps is just a good excuse for a rejection since its assessment is purely subjective so people can't complain, even if the main reason for a rejection were grades that may have been above the requirements but not good enough, but since they are above the requirements people would start complaining.
Original post by powelsmartin
Maybe, I can't say I'm an expert or anything but it seems as if the ps is just a good excuse for a rejection since its assessment is purely subjective so people can't complain, even if the main reason for a rejection were grades that may have been above the requirements but not good enough, but since they are above the requirements people would start complaining.

I had 9 A*s and 2 As at GCSE and A*AA at a level (post a level applicant) with a predicted A* in Philosophy a level which I'm sitting in my gap year and I got rejected because of my personal statement :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamjamjamT
Where else have you applied to? Have you got offers from those other Unis?
I want to go to LSE but I also want to go to UCL, Bath, Bristol or Cardiff. I will be gutted if LSE reject me but I am looking at it not like a rejection but just that they found 20 odd candidates that were better than me...
I am definitely going to University - just don't quite know which one yet ;D

I got rejected by cambridge. Got offers from UCL Warwick and Edinburgh. I will definitely go to LSE if they give me an offer. Otherwise UCL will be my firm choice.
Original post by StudyNow
I got rejected by cambridge. Got offers from UCL Warwick and Edinburgh. I will definitely go to LSE if they give me an offer. Otherwise UCL will be my firm choice.

Ah right. I'm still waiting, like you, to hear from LSE and I'm also waiting for Bath. Can't say for definite where I will firm until all of the Unis have replied.
Reply 3129
Original post by jchap9776
Would be so sick, what course did you apply for?

straight econ, hbu?
Reply 3130
Im worried about my personal statement now as well. especially since im an international student, I wasn't quite sure how to write it. I did not include outside readings but spoke more of my experiences volunteering and leading groups. i was accepted unconditionally to KCL but LSE seems to be different.
Original post by saysay
Im worried about my personal statement now as well. especially since im an international student, I wasn't quite sure how to write it. I did not include outside readings but spoke more of my experiences volunteering and leading groups. i was accepted unconditionally to KCL but LSE seems to be different.

I'm sure that is no reason to worry. I didn't include any outside readings either. I focused only on my volunteer work and clubs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NB1326
straight econ, hbu?

Same lol
Reply 3133
Same lol

Nice, good luck! where else have you applied?
Original post by NB1326
Nice, good luck! where else have you applied?

Cheers, same to you! :smile: I've got ucl and Exeter aswell as Warwick for econ and industrial org, rejected by cambridge in pool lol. Wbu?
Reply 3135
Cheers, same to you! :smile: I've got ucl and Exeter aswell as Warwick for econ and industrial org, rejected by cambridge in pool lol. Wbu?

Got exeter for econ, nottingham and bath for maths & econ! also rejected by cambridge in pool !
I got bang average GCSEs but managed to pull off an A* last year and have an offer from LSE (to study BSc Economics)! Finally chose to go here over Bath. Who scared?
Original post by NB1326
lool staying in mariana in Zante aswell

Im staying in Savvas and its on a farm :smile:
I have my offer for Maths with Economics for next year but am worried I won't meet any other afghans at LSE.
Original post by Stark95
Anyone invited to sit the UGAA? :wink:

Hi,

I'm an Italian student and I've been invited by LSE to attend the UGAA exam on the 3rd of March. I'm very nervous about the test since there is no way to prepare for it apart from practising with past papers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending