The Student Room Group

MSc Finance schools

Hi I'm an international student from Asia. I've got some offers and wonder if anyone can give me some personal experiences or pros and cons before I make my final decision, thanks!:wink:

Cass : Don't know why some people hate it so much but I love the course structure as it's really practical. And what's the problem between Cass and City? just don't get it..
Glasgow : love the environment, but MSc Finance is not so recognized.
Nottingham : Although I've got 25% scholarship for this school, I don't want to be drowned in Chinese.. and I think they accept students from everywhere. They sent me like 10 emails after I received my offer..
Warwick : Should've been my first choice. They said that I am not really qualified for their course (since it's not my major), but impressed by my application. I was then transferred to MSc Management.. I still prefer Finance though..
Lancaster : Dont know much about this school..
Cranfield : The course is more research based. Less famous in my country so I guess I'm ruling it out..
Manchester : Great city, beautiful campus, lots of alumni. but haven't received my offer yet :-(

Personally Manchester >Cass >Lancaster/Glasgow
BTW May I ask which one has a higher entry requirement in the UK?
Original post by Seedvalley
Hi I'm an international student from Asia. I've got some offers and wonder if anyone can give me some personal experiences or pros and cons before I make my final decision, thanks!:wink:

Cass : Don't know why some people hate it so much but I love the course structure as it's really practical. And what's the problem between Cass and City? just don't get it..
Glasgow : love the environment, but MSc Finance is not so recognized.
Nottingham : Although I've got 25% scholarship for this school, I don't want to be drowned in Chinese.. and I think they accept students from everywhere. They sent me like 10 emails after I received my offer..
Warwick : Should've been my first choice. They said that I am not really qualified for their course (since it's not my major), but impressed by my application. I was then transferred to MSc Management.. I still prefer Finance though..
Lancaster : Dont know much about this school..
Cranfield : The course is more research based. Less famous in my country so I guess I'm ruling it out..
Manchester : Great city, beautiful campus, lots of alumni. but haven't received my offer yet :-(

Personally Manchester >Cass >Lancaster/Glasgow
BTW May I ask which one has a higher entry requirement in the UK?

Nottingham Uni is a good uni, Nottingham Trent is average. Warwick is a really good too and Manchester is top notch. Don't know much about the others to be honest.
Reply 2
Warwick is decent and Cass is alright I guess (although both are 2nd tier compared to LBS/LSE/Oxbrige which are the clear top 4 with Imperial lagging behind sliightly and being carried by its overall reptuation even if the business school is mediocre), the rest are not good

I mean they arent terrible or anything and in some sense they are all kind of prestigious on a UK national level - if you were asking about an undergrad degree then I'd be positive - but would you really pay £20k for a year at Manchester? The prices that 2nd tier universties can get away with charging for masters degrees is kind of hilarious. You could spend a year at Harvard/MIT for that price if they'd accept you.

Lets be honest, if you are doing a MSc Finance then its because you want a high paying job, and Goldman Sachs are not sniffing around Lancaster and Cranfield. That isnt to say that you wont get a good job, but lets not pretend that any of those places are elite compared to the comical fees they are asking for.

Basically go to Warwick from that lot, otherwise I'd go to the US.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by randomgeeza
Nottingham Uni is a good uni, Nottingham Trent is average. Warwick is a really good too and Manchester is top notch. Don't know much about the others to be honest.

If Nottingham Trent is average then what is "bad", me teaching in my garage?
Original post by poohat
Warwick is decent and Cass is alright I guess (although both are 2nd tier compared to LBS/LSE/Oxbrige which are the clear top 4 with Imperial lagging behind sliightly and being carried by its overall reptuation even if the business school is mediocre), the rest are not good

I mean they arent terrible or anything and in some sense they are all kind of prestigious on a UK national level - if you were asking about an undergrad degree then I'd be positive - but would you really pay £20k for a year at Manchester? The prices that 2nd tier universties can get away with charging for masters degrees is kind of hilarious. You could spend a year at Harvard/MIT for that price if they'd accept you.

Lets be honest, if you are doing a MSc Finance then its because you want a high paying job, and Goldman Sachs are not sniffing around Lancaster and Cranfield. That isnt to say that you wont get a good job, but lets not pretend that any of those places are elite compared to the comical fees they are asking for.

Basically go to Warwick from that lot, otherwise I'd go to the US.

where does this come from?
Original post by poohat
If Nottingham Trent is average then what is "bad", me teaching in my garage?

ahahaha
Reply 6
Original post by Theophile
where does this come from?

Well mediocre was an exaggeration, but I meant in comparison to its overall reputation. Imperial as a whole is probably the third best university in Europe, while Imperial Business School is top 15-20 at best. Its a long way behind LBS, and Imperial as a whole doesnt have the international reputation of Oxbridge.

There's an MSc finance ranking here, although like all league tables it should be taken with a grain of salt: http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-finance-pre-experience-2014

Also business school ranking (at non-research level) is probaby driven more by the prestige of the MBA programs rather than other degrees like MSc Finance, so this table somewhat doubles as a prestige ranking: http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-ranking-2015
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending