The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwerty_96
They'll aim for early march but interviews are the whole of feb not just the first half or anything. So yh, Early march at the very earliest if not longer

Really?? That's a surprise as the 320 December interviews were done in just over a week so I'm shocked the final 60 will take so long! :s-smilie: They must be interviewing small groups at a time or something.

I take it you got a Feb interview then and this is what they told you?
I would say there were about 25 of us there on Wednesday
Original post by Sugarpuffx
I would say there were about 25 of us there on Wednesday

That's around what I thought, and with a similar number on Tuesday I don't understand why they would interview for the rest of the month?!?

I guess it doesn't make much difference really, they'll reply when they reply :/
There was around 25 of us but only maybe 5 of us were reserve, the rest were post grad
Original post by Halycon
There was around 25 of us but only maybe 5 of us were reserve, the rest were post grad

Oh I thought quite a lot of us on the Wednesday were reserves?
Original post by Sugarpuffx
Oh I thought quite a lot of us on the Wednesday were reserves?

I was talking about on Tuesday mate
Original post by Halycon
I was talking about on Tuesday mate

Well that explains it then :wink:
What do you think are the odds of getting onto the BMBS course if you are made a reserve offer at Exeter?
Original post by Wackyboi123
What do you think are the odds of getting onto the BMBS course if you are made a reserve offer at Exeter?

I don't think there is such thing as a reserve offer, any offer is equal to any other as far as I'm aware?
Original post by Dr. Django
I don't think there is such thing as a reserve offer, any offer is equal to any other as far as I'm aware?

Sorry Dr Django. I meant to ask what are the odds of getting onto the BMBS course at Exeter if I am placed on the reserve list after being successful at a reserve interview.
Sorry Dr Django. I meant to ask what are the odds of getting onto the BMBS course at Exeter if I am placed on the reserve list after being successful at a reserve interview.

I think if you get put on the reserve list post-interview then it doesn't matter whether you originated from the preliminary or reserve interview list. There is a chance you will end up with an offer but it will probably depend on the numbers that firm, insure and reject so will possibly be rather last-minute. May have got this wrong; just guess-work really..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Guys!

Have not logged into my TSR account in almost 4 years - I'm a current 4th year Medical Science student at exeter medical school (the course that they were talking about on the powerpoint just before we had our interviews!)

Originally applied to medicine in 2011 but was rejected post interview, so this degree was another pathway to getting into Medicine. I think doing Medical Science was a good shout - you get taught in the same or similar PBL format as the medics, so if you DO apply to medicine afterwards you can use that as an example of teamwork - especially if you end up applying to PBL unis :smile:. The year in industry also does wonders for your application, and in first and second year you also get some clinical contact at the local hospital. (though I'm not sure if the curriculum has changed, I doubt it though)

Had my interview on 10th February.. not sure how it went. I'm pretty awful with nerves. Already been rejected from all my other choices (poor BMAT score) but if there's any advice I wanna give, its just don't give up.

Sorry if this comes across as patronising, just wanted to give some advice that I wish I had as an 18 year old applicant in 2011!

Oh yeah, Exeter is a cute place. Nightlife - by no means awful. (but then again i'm from winchester, so was a step up) Shopping, pretty good. People? Generally nice. Rah? A bit.

But yeah - Medical Science is tough but you learn a lot. Good Luck, and I hope you all get good news!
Really?? That's a surprise as the 320 December interviews were done in just over a week so I'm shocked the final 60 will take so long! :s-smilie: They must be interviewing small groups at a time or something.

I take it you got a Feb interview then and this is what they told you?

Yh I had one on tuesday the 10th. The head of admissions said they'll interview up until march so yh maybe the interview dates are spread out. but there were about 22 ppl on tuesday so i don't know how many more interviews there'll be. maybe more than the 60 we thought?
Original post by qwerty_96
Yh I had one on tuesday the 10th. The head of admissions said they'll interview up until march so yh maybe the interview dates are spread out. but there were about 22 ppl on tuesday so i don't know how many more interviews there'll be. maybe more than the 60 we thought?

Mind if I ask whether they were domestic or internationals?
Original post by waterrdrinkerr
Mind if I ask whether they were domestic or internationals?

I didn't speak to everyone and i didnt meet any internationals but there might have been. but for domestic there were grads, reserves and ppl who rescheduled their december ints like me...
Hey Danman14,

I have been looking into the medical science course at Exeter medical school and it does sound rather interesting in terms of research opportunities.

Are you applying for grad entry medicine once you have finished your degree. If so then could you let me know how competitive the course is, whether or not the university helps candidates in terms of employment opportunities after the degree and roughly how competitive it is to get onto the GEM course.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated
Hey Danman14,

I have been looking into the medical science course at Exeter medical school and it does sound rather interesting in terms of research opportunities.

Are you applying for grad entry medicine once you have finished your degree. If so then could you let me know how competitive the course is, whether or not the university helps candidates in terms of employment opportunities after the degree and roughly how competitive it is to get onto the GEM course.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated

Hey,

I applied to grad entry medicine this September (as I am in my final year of this course). Had my Exeter interview last Tuesday. If your grades are good I can say with a fair amount of confidence that you will get a place in the Medical Science course - it is still quite new (only started in 2009). Our 2011 cohort is only 28 people strong but the 2014 group are 100+ I think, so it's been growing fast in popularity.

Regarding employment opportunities - the University itself is quite helpful. A lot of people in my year have already had offers for PhDs and Masters in a number of prestigious universities. Some also were able to do their placement years (third year) in Harvard, John Hopkins, Malta, Sydney, Hamburg etc etc.

Regarding GEM Medicine, it is far more competitive than undergraduate.

However, if you nail your GAMSAT then you are guaranteed an interview (providing your personal statement is well written - however don't make the mistake of thinking they read the PS in depth because in most cases for GEM, they don't).

On the other hand, if you are from a more financially able background, then you could apply as a graduate to undergraduate medicine courses, only problem is that if you have already done a degree then you won't receive the 9K loan and will have to pay everything out of your own (or parents) pockets.
I haven't been watching this thread ever since I got rejected (sometime during the last week of Jan) so I don't know what's going on atm but they reconsidered my application and have given me an interview for the 18th of March... They said that if I do well, I'll be put on the reserve list so that if they have any spaces left in August, then they offer me a place. Did anyone else get this email? I thought all interviews would be done by Feb..? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Muhaha_6
I haven't been watching this thread ever since I got rejected (sometime during the last week of Jan) so I don't know what's going on atm but they reconsidered my application and have given me an interview for the 18th of March... They said that if I do well, I'll be put on the reserve list so that if they have any spaces left in August, then they offer me a place. Did anyone else get this email? I thought all interviews would be done by Feb..? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats, you are the first person to post of this kind of thing on here as far as I'm aware. The final few interviews/offers have been a bit muddled at the moment with a mixture of people who a.) were told they were reserve after interview b.) were told they were reserve after interview IF they firm medical sciences c.) Have been told nothing post interview (my position) d.) Have received February Interviews e.) Are in your position and have received reserve interviews

Tbh all we know right now is that out of these groups the final 60 ish (could be more or less no one knows) places will be determined...good luck!
Congrats, you are the first person to post of this kind of thing on here as far as I'm aware. The final few interviews/offers have been a bit muddled at the moment with a mixture of people who a.) were told they were reserve after interview b.) were told they were reserve after interview IF they firm medical sciences c.) Have been told nothing post interview (my position) d.) Have received February Interviews e.) Are in your position and have received reserve interviews

Tbh all we know right now is that out of these groups the final 60 ish (could be more or less no one knows) places will be determined...good luck!

Thank youu!

Ohhh I see, do they do this every year? They seem a little unorganized tbh :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending