The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wikipedia works quickly :biggrin:

Original post by Arkasia
Wikipedia works quickly :biggrin:

This is why I hate the fact news gets out so quickly these days, no proof either way yet..
Original post by Peggles_*
We might end up with a new Vermaelen situation with Per. His form has dipped of late but that looks more down to fatigue than anything. He said he was lacking motivation, well now he has it. Arsene doesn't drop players easily, so if Gabriel is now starting with Kos, Per is going to have to work hard to get his place back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A few German stars have said the same thing. Must be tough trying to motivate yourself after a WC win - I'd be guilty of thinking 'well, what else is there left?'.
Original post by Mackay
A few German stars have said the same thing. Must be tough trying to motivate yourself after a WC win - I'd be guilty of thinking 'well, what else is there left?'.

I can understand if that happened to the Bayern/German players, but Mertesacker? He's 30 and only won a Pokal and an FA Cup in his entire club career.
Original post by CB91
I can understand if that happened to the Bayern/German players, but Mertesacker? He's 30 and only won a Pokal and an FA Cup in his entire club career.

The WC is the pinnacle, though, isn't it.

A PL title hardly matches it. A CL, maybe.
Nothing touches winning a WC in football imo. A CL is a great achievement but the WC is unique and you probably only have 3/4 chances to win it in your career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly. I mean, how much would Mertesacker want a PL? He'd prefer a Bundesliga, surely?
Original post by Mackay
The WC is the pinnacle, though, isn't it.

A PL title hardly matches it. A CL, maybe.

Obviously im not talking about one trophy compared to a World Cup. :confused: He's 30 and has basically nothing to show for 12 years as a club player. That would motivate me a hell of a lot more than a WC which is out of your control anyway.
Reply 3068
Original post by Mackay
Exactly. I mean, how much would Mertesacker want a PL? He'd prefer a Bundesliga, surely?

Winning the Bundesliga basically means joining Bayern Munich though, and I doubt he'd get much playing time there.
Original post by EddyP
Winning the Bundesliga basically means joining Bayern Munich though, and I doubt he'd get much playing time there.

Yeah, agreed.
How much did he even play in the WC? Can't remember him playing 1 game tbh (though I may be completely wrong). It's like Pepe Reina, he may have "won" the WC and 2 European Championships, but if you haven't played a single game including all the competitive qualification games, have you really played a part in "winning" the WC or Euros?

Paulista looked good, but it would be interesting to see the reaction if Lukaku had scored from his mistake, the one thing that has come out of this week is quite how fickle the average Arsenal fan is, we're playing ok and getting results (bar Monaco and Tottenham), sure they were two massive games, but 2nd place and retaining the FA Cup is by no way out of the question (being optimistic), and by no means a poor season when you consider how we started it. We have better form than every team bar Liverpool in the pl and with some other players coming back into the squad in the next few weeks I would predict our torrid March "curse" is going to end.

Wish Wenger would start subbing Ozil off for Rosicky at the 60 min mark though, it would benefit both players tbh
Being part of the WC-winning squad is as good as scoring in the final for the majority of players I'm guessing.
Rosicky is fast becoming one of my favourite players of all time for Arsenal. If you take out the invincibles he's probably my favourite player after Adams.
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Nothing touches winning a WC in football imo. A CL is a great achievement but the WC is unique and you probably only have 3/4 chances to win it in your career.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For a player yeah I can see that.

For a fan I'd prefer winning the CL though.
Original post by jam277
For a player yeah I can see that.

For a fan I'd prefer winning the CL though.

Agreed, I'd rather Arsenal won the CL than England the WC...
Original post by Pete_91
Agreed, I'd rather Arsenal won the CL than England the WC...

I'd rather England win the WC
Imagine the night out if England won the WC...

I'm club > country every time though.
Original post by Mackay
Imagine the night out if England won the WC...

I'm club > country every time though.

Yeah tbh the country would probably grind to a stand still, although I work for a German company so the spoil sports would probably make me come into work.
Original post by Arkasia
NGL I loved that kit.

What are you talking about? Wenger has admitted in the past that Theo is one of our better players, and the one we were missing the most when he was out. I just think that Theo is not impressing Wenger with his overall play at the moment, with Ox and Welbeck seemingly offering more (other than goals), so Wenger is waiting to re-introduce him. I don't buy the idea that Wenger doesn't want or like him, I think Wenger was just hoping Theo would advance more than he did when he was training with Henry a few years ago. Theo would not go to Liverpool, and Wenger wouldn't sell him.

With Walcott approaching the final year of his contract can see him going for 20m in the summer. I struggle to see him signing a contract extension based on his current situation which means if he doesn't get sold in the summer he will go on a free the following summer. Then again I haven't looked into this much so giving an opinion of which I havent looked into much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Country > Club always.

As much as I love arsenal, seeing England FINALLY getting it right and being able to celebrate with everyone would be incredible.

Latest