The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bullettheory
Oh no, therapy ending is always hard :sadnod: I hope the voices have been better recently. Here if you wanna talk :hugs:

Thanks hun. So sorry you're feeling rough and paranoid - hope you've got good people to use as a sounding board :hugs:

The voices disappeared today, which kinda makes me even more suspicious about what they're up to :huff:
Hope everyone is doing alright :hugs:

Trying so hard to get my mood up but nothing is working, thoughts aren't good either :sigh:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Not coping :frown:

Handed my dissertation in and keep fretting and regretting stuff on it and worrying about plagiarism (got 19% on turntitin). Getting really stressed which is causing the paranoia again.

Ignore turnitin, it's a load of rubbish. For me it always adds a good 5% from the titles and subtitles of work which are supposed to be the same between students. Be proud and happy that it is submitted, that's a massive achievement! Mine isn't submitted until late April.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hope everyone is doing alright :hugs:

Trying so hard to get my mood up but nothing is working, thoughts aren't good either :sigh:

:jumphug: PM me if you want to? Don't know how much sense I'll make and thoughts aren't really good myself but calmer than earlier so should be ok/will try not make it worse :redface:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Thanks hun. So sorry you're feeling rough and paranoid - hope you've got good people to use as a sounding board :hugs:

The voices disappeared today, which kinda makes me even more suspicious about what they're up to :huff:

^same offer as above if you want it- hope they stay disappeared :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I'm signing up to see Relate regarding Redpill because I'm turning into a sadistic troll :cry:

****'s sake Merseyside branch run at £50 an hour!!!

I'm from Merseyside too :smile:.
Original post by furryface12
:jumphug: PM me if you want to? Don't know how much sense I'll make and thoughts aren't really good myself but calmer than earlier so should be ok/will try not make it worse :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks lovely, going to try and sleep and hopefully I'll feel better in the morning. Hope you're alright :console:
Have an essay (to everyone's surprise I'm sure) on how drugs act on serotonin receptors. It just seems like such a strange essay because there's huge classes of drugs (SSRIs, MAOIs, TCAs) that I don't have to discuss because they don't interact direct. Don't want to hand in a terrible essay which I feel like it will be if I leave them out but at the same time the course doesn't even cover them (mental health education for medical students, right in there with experimental psychology and nothing about treatment) so anything I put in is obviously extra reading and I don't want it to read like I'm trying to cram in a ton of stuff about depression because my director of studies is marking it and he hasn't even acknowledged that I came back this year, or learnt my name. Spend all day putting off writing the thing because of this and now I have to actually write it and still feeling really unsure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12

^same offer as above if you want it- hope they stay disappeared :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Sorry things aren't good for you atm :frown: :console: :hugs:

Original post by Valvopus
Have an essay (to everyone's surprise I'm sure)

The perils of being an Oxbridge student: never-ending cycle of essays :sadnod:

on how drugs act on serotonin receptors. It just seems like such a strange essay because there's huge classes of drugs (SSRIs, MAOIs, TCAs) that I don't have to discuss because they don't interact direct. Don't want to hand in a terrible essay which I feel like it will be if I leave them out but at the same time the course doesn't even cover them (mental health education for medical students, right in there with experimental psychology and nothing about treatment) so anything I put in is obviously extra reading and I don't want it to read like I'm trying to cram in a ton of stuff about depression because my director of studies is marking it and he hasn't even acknowledged that I came back this year, or learnt my name. Spend all day putting off writing the thing because of this and now I have to actually write it and still feeling really unsure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say just go for it if you feel strongly about it. Some of my best essays have been when I've just gone on a huge rant about something I feel passionately about, even if it's not strictly related to/in the syllabus :colondollar:

There should be a law against DoS's not knowing their students' names. My college tutor (DoS equivalent) didn't know what my name was either, to the extent that he had to ask someone how my name was spelt whenever he emailed me (coz clearly, you know, hitting the 'Reply' button isn't a logical thing to do :tongue: ) :nothing:
Original post by Anonymous #2
Thanks lovely, going to try and sleep and hopefully I'll feel better in the morning. Hope you're alright :console:

:hugs: Hope you sleep.

I'd say just go for it if you feel strongly about it. Some of my best essays have been when I've just gone on a huge rant about something I feel passionately about, even if it's not strictly related to/in the syllabus :colondollar:

There should be a law against DoS's not knowing their students' names. My college tutor (DoS equivalent) didn't know what my name was either, to the extent that he had to ask someone how my name was spelt whenever he emailed me (coz clearly, you know, hitting the 'Reply' button isn't a logical thing to do :tongue: ) :nothing:

:hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My dissertation tutor had no idea who i was, even on my graduation day until she saw me on stage after my name was called out! :facepalm:

Luckily my personal tutor loved me and knew who i was from first year :h:

Hope your ok btw, and hope the voices stay away now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This term it seems like everyone has waited until the last three weeks to set essays, never mind that we have an exam :rolleyes:
My DoS doesn't actually reply to my emails. My tutor (welfare person) on the other hand is amazing. But I think that's just luck.
I've managed to work in two poisons and three illegal drugs instead of talking about MH stuff since they're more definitely in the scope of the essay. They might not be in the lecture notes but at least they're interesting. And it demonstrates outside reading :P dropping in one antidepressant because I can but think I'm just going to make a passing comment in the conclusion about everything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Valvopus
This term it seems like everyone has waited until the last three weeks to set essays, never mind that we have an exam :rolleyes:
My DoS doesn't actually reply to my emails. My tutor (welfare person) on the other hand is amazing. But I think that's just luck.
I've managed to work in two poisons and three illegal drugs instead of talking about MH stuff since they're more definitely in the scope of the essay. They might not be in the lecture notes but at least they're interesting. And it demonstrates outside reading :P dropping in one antidepressant because I can but think I'm just going to make a passing comment in the conclusion about everything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got a timed essay next week on neurotransmitters! I'm gonna do either dopamine or serotonin, haven't decided...should probably decide soon so I can plan it at some point. :facepalm:
Original post by Pathway
I've got a timed essay next week on neurotransmitters! I'm gonna do either dopamine or serotonin, haven't decided...should probably decide soon so I can plan it at some point. :facepalm:

ooh do dopamine, that was always the one I found easiest last semester :yep:

Posted from TSR k
lpMobile
o
Original post by Odd socks
ooh do dopamine, that was always the one I found easiest last semester :yep:

Posted from TSR k
lpMobile
o

Yeah, I'm leaning more towards dopamine too - I was gonna talk about things like schizophrenia and Parkinson's, and about the dopaminergic receptors in the specific areas within the midbrain, how it's formed, the family of NTs it's in, the effects it has, its role in addiction - I have quite a lot of information I can use in the essay, it's just a case of getting it down coherently and logically. Have no idea how to do that at the moment! My brains all too jumbled up.

I've got until Wednesday next week though, so hopefully I'll figure it out by then. :colondollar:
Original post by Pathway
Yeah, I'm leaning more towards dopamine too - I was gonna talk about things like schizophrenia and Parkinson's, and about the dopaminergic receptors in the specific areas within the midbrain, how it's formed, the family of NTs it's in, the effects it has, its role in addiction - I have quite a lot of information I can use in the essay, it's just a case of getting it down coherently and logically. Have no idea how to do that at the moment! My brains all too jumbled up.

I've got until Wednesday next week though, so hopefully I'll figure it out by then. :colondollar:

yeah there's quite a lot of stuff to write about with dopamine: depletion of substantia nigra, could talk about how carbidopa helps prevent breakdown of levodopa before it reaches the CNS though I suppose that depends how much you're expected to know about disease states and treatment options

you could try making a mindmap, do a few drafts of them to really get everything all organised and down on paper, then make one final mind map that you can look at to basically plan your essay?

Posted from TSR k
lpMobile
o
Original post by Odd socks
yeah there's quite a lot of stuff to write about with dopamine: depletion of substantia nigra, could talk about how carbidopa helps prevent breakdown of levodopa before it reaches the CNS though I suppose that depends how much you're expected to know about disease states and treatment options

you could try making a mindmap, do a few drafts of them to really get everything all organised and down on paper, then make one final mind map that you can look at to basically plan your essay?

Posted from TSR k
lpMobile
o

Ohh! Thanks! I completely forgot about the mindmapping software I got from DSA. I think that'll come in useful. :colone:
Original post by Pathway
Ohh! Thanks! I completely forgot about the mindmapping software I got from DSA. I think that'll come in useful. :colone:

Could you follow the pathways for dopamine? it gives you a nice outline and you can put in clinical stuff alongside the area it affects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So now I'm just considering missing the rest of lectures today (missed test at 10am :s-smilie:) and staying at cinema until ~2-3am, just so that I can avoid seeing housemates/them asking why I didn't go etc. They've asked the last few days if everything's okay, and just trying to pretend that it's fine/I'm just being lazy/watching TV - which I guess I am, in part, but just :s-smilie: :/
Also thought it was just me home, so sang in shower, but housemates light is on through his door, I think :/ spent almost half and hour in bathroom just staring into nothing/pacing in circles.
Original post by purple-duck
So now I'm just considering missing the rest of lectures today (missed test at 10am :s-smilie:) and staying at cinema until ~2-3am, just so that I can avoid seeing housemates/them asking why I didn't go etc. They've asked the last few days if everything's okay, and just trying to pretend that it's fine/I'm just being lazy/watching TV - which I guess I am, in part, but just :s-smilie: :/
Also thought it was just me home, so sang in shower, but housemates light is on through his door, I think :/ spent almost half and hour in bathroom just staring into nothing/pacing in circles.

Nothing wrong with singing in the shower. I do it regardless of whoever is in the house - loudly - much to the horror of my brother when he has friends round!
Original post by purple-duck

:jumphug: they're just worried about you. Don't use the excuse of missing a test to allow you to fall behind in your other classes. You can do this PD!

Latest