The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Probably just remembering the City match quite vividly, I'd imagine.

Nah they've compared his stats to other players by taking into account interceptions, duels won and tackles etc.

Coquelin's been very solid for us this season. Not been amazing but a lot of our current stability is credit to him.

Stats don't always tell the full story though. I wouldn't say he's been THE best defensive player in the league, but I will say he's been excellent for us so far. Also I think this table only accounts for games since his return to Arsenal, but not beforehand.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by angelfox
Another win, another poor performance though bar 20 minutes in the second half.

I've got a funny feeling we may win at Old Toilet next week, don't think we'll give up the cup without a fight...

Utd games are ground hog day. Wenger will put all midfielders and giroud in the team and we'll control possession while bein too narrow while creating no clear cut chances or giroud will bottle them.

Game ends and utd win 2-0. Young and Rooney. Wenger needs to set up to counter this utd team is useless when given possession. Start Walcott and welbeck up top and Sanchez and rosicky behind them with Ramsey and coq behind them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Numan786
Utd games are ground hog day. Wenger will put all midfielders and giroud in the team and we'll control possession while bein too narrow while creating no clear cut chances or giroud will bottle them.

Game ends and utd win 2-0. Young and Rooney. Wenger needs to set up to counter this utd team is useless when given possession. Start Walcott and welbeck up top and Sanchez and rosicky behind them with Ramsey and coq behind them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is Ramsey even fit?

Ozil Giroud Sanchez
Ramsey Coquelin Cazorla
Monreal Koscielny Merte Chambers

Can't think of a better 11 for this game atm. I would take Ramsey off though since his decision making in these types of games is usually very poor and often wasteful. Ox would be a good shout instead to bring energy into the midfield and will probably be a better B2B then Coquelin or Cazorla.

Welbeck needs to stay miles off the XI. Possibly take off Ozil for Walcott or even Sanchez because Sanchez usually goes missing in these types of games too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Nah they've compared his stats to other players by taking into account interceptions, duels won and tackles etc.

Coquelin's been very solid for us this season. Not been amazing but a lot of our current stability is credit to him.

Stats don't always tell the full story though. I wouldn't say he's been THE best defensive player in the league, but I will say he's been excellent for us so far. Also I think this table only accounts for games since his return to Arsenal, but not beforehand.

Surprised Fernandez is so high in interceptions.
Original post by AR_95
He missed an open goal. As much as I like Giroud he was partly to blame.

Look how pleased he was though <3

Getting happy because he scored another goal against a nobody but rarely scores when it really counts? Guy has no goals vs Chelsea which really says it all.

Original post by AR_95

All he does is run around and tackle, his distribution is quite average and he doesn't really sense danger as well as other defensive players. He's an upgrade on Flamini really.
Original post by jam277
Getting happy because he scored another goal against a nobody but rarely scores when it really counts? Guy has no goals vs Chelsea which really says it all.

Lionel Messi also has no goals vs Chelsea, and believe it or not, in more appearances than Giroud
Original post by jam277

All he does is run around and tackle, his distribution is quite average and he doesn't really sense danger as well as other defensive players. He's an upgrade on Flamini really.

'Guy has scored vs Liverpool, UTD and City? Think it was more so that after (wrongly) being slated by fans he was pleased to regain some form.

Like I said, the stats don't tell the full story. Even if all he does is run around and tackle, it's something we've missed in the side as our ball retention has been poor. Whilst not being the best defensive player as the article suggests, I stick to my point, he's been great for us so far.
I like coq - hope he has a good future with us.

To be fair to him, ever since ramsey + wilshire have been injured, he has had an impossible job.

Being pared with cazorla in the middle is just asking for trouble, and sure enough, coq often has to do the job of two players as cazorla finds himself way up the pitch..

He can be a really solid defensive option for us next season, if partnered witha proper central midfielder and not a CAM

Would love to see a schniderlin type player join, and have a hoast of midfield options in the new player, coq, ramsey, wilshire, artenta (one last season)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3348
Original post by shawn_o1
Lionel Messi also has no goals vs Chelsea, and believe it or not, in more appearances than Giroud

Giroud > Messi

Original post by jam277

To be fair, the whole Arsenal team don't have a goal vs Chelsea in our last four clashes. Sad really
Original post by jam277

Scored vs City, Utd, Liverpool this season and over the last few years also scored vs Bayern, BVB, Liverpool, Spurs etc. We're talking about a target man striker here as well, and he's comfortably hitting 1 in 2 these days so that's fine. Against Chelsea I can think of a few chances he's missed over the last 3 seasons but in general I dont think it's a reasonable barometer of him at all. Messi has never scored against Chelsea either, in general strikers find it tough.

Coquelin is not a top player no but even covering defensive ground and committing tactical fouls is a huge upgrade on where we were. Flamini is gone in the summer so we should probably aim to get Coq as back up DM to someone like Schniderlin or Kondogbia but odds are Wenger will just play Coq for a few years before begrudgingly accepting he's not quite good enough ala Flamini.

It is quite exciting to think that even a fairly average DM like Coq improves us so much, then to think what a top DM would do for us.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3350
Original post by fallen_acorns
I like coq - hope he has a good future with us.

To be fair to him, ever since ramsey + wilshire have been injured, he has had an impossible job.

Being pared with cazorla in the middle is just asking for trouble, and sure enough, coq often has to do the job of two players as cazorla finds himself way up the pitch..

He can be a really solid defensive option for us next season, if partnered witha proper central midfielder and not a CAM

Would love to see a schniderlin type player join, and have a hoast of midfield options in the new player, coq, ramsey, wilshire, artenta (one last season)

With Ramsey now back, and Jack coming back in a week or two.. how will we even keep everyone content?

We'll have Ozil, Cazorla, Jack, Ramsey, Ox, Theo and Welbz to occupy four positions. Then we have the likes of Rosicky, Arteta (when he's back) and Gnabry (when he's back) too. Wouldn't even have enough for the bench, considering we should have two defenders and a keeper on it too :confused:
Original post by SA-1
With Ramsey now back, and Jack coming back in a week or two.. how will we even keep everyone content?

We'll have Ozil, Cazorla, Jack, Ramsey, Ox, Theo and Welbz to occupy four positions. Then we have the likes of Rosicky, Arteta (when he's back) and Gnabry (when he's back) too. Wouldn't even have enough for the bench, considering we should have two defenders and a keeper on it too :confused:

Someone or other is always injured.
Original post by AR_95
Is Ramsey even fit?

Ozil Giroud Sanchez
Ramsey Coquelin Cazorla
Monreal Koscielny Merte Chambers

Can't think of a better 11 for this game atm. I would take Ramsey off though since his decision making in these types of games is usually very poor and often wasteful. Ox would be a good shout instead to bring energy into the midfield and will probably be a better B2B then Coquelin or Cazorla.

Welbeck needs to stay miles off the XI. Possibly take off Ozil for Walcott or even Sanchez because Sanchez usually goes missing in these types of games too.

It'd be disasterous to play the same team we played against QPR coq-caz duo would get found out by a better team. Need Ramsey next to coquelin and rosicky or ozil playing in the hole as cazorla goes missing in big games. Walcott needs to start but wenger has a vendetta agains him now so I don't expect him to start anymore games this season but he's the only big game player we have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wenger has a vendetta against him - lol

talk about melodramatic
Original post by SA-1

for the 2 central spots, (presuming we are not 4-1-4-1) I would like to see:

Wilshire, Ramsey, New CM, Coq, areta

4 players who would be rotate and get minutes, and arteta who would stay for one more year but as a senior player for experiance, not actually getting much game time.

think those 5 would give us great depth in those two positions, with the inform 2 starting, and the other two battling it out..

As for forward players it becomes a bit more tricky..
Original post by e aí rapaz
Wenger has a vendetta against him - lol

talk about melodramatic

Oh thats right Walcott is just a **** player and so rightfully doesnt deserve to play.
Original post by Numan786
Oh thats right Walcott is just a **** player and so rightfully doesnt deserve to play.

Walcott has been out for a year. I wouldn't expect him to do much until the end of the season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
**** Evans might be suspended for the fa cup match, definitely improves United's chance of winning
Ozil should just go back to Spain or Germany, this country doesn't deserve him. We rate players who run fast or put in a lot of effort, but hate those who have the skill to be able to avoid doing either (in Ozil's case, he actually does all three).

It's pathetic how Di Maria is always 'about to come good and justify his price' but Ozil is always 'never going to reach his potential, is a flop'.

Latest